Proscar side effects getting worse?

Tragedy86

5 and a half years on Propecia, 6 months on Proscar, 6 months on Avodart and back to Proscar 2.5mg daily now for about 4 - 6 months.

I stopped taking Propecia because I noticed it was starting to be less effective and decided to move on.

Months ago, I started noticing that when I ejaculate the quantity of sperm is becoming less compared to a year or more prior. I started doing research and found out that the quantity is suppose to be a teaspoon worth which is more or less what I was releasing.

Today, during my climax I noticed nothing was coming out, at the very last "pump" a little bit came out. At the end only two drops came out.

Now, I'm very freaked about this. I'm only 27 years old, what's it going to be like 10 years down the road if I continue? For 5 years I enjoyed being on Propecia, there was a little libido decrease but it was barely noticeable. Then when I switched to Proscar, there was more libido decrease sometimes it takes effort even to get hard but I'm happy with Proscar's results so far in terms of hair loss.

What made it worse was recently I had to go emergency for a medical thing during which time the doctor asked me if I was on any medication. When I said Proscar for the hair, she got shocked, like I had told her I was drinking my own urine or something.

Soon after I went for therapy for difficulties sleeping and he also got shocked at this notion saying that such things can cause cancer and have harmful side effects.

I'm really worried now, and not sure what other options I have or how to be sure if it's Proscar that's causing it. My hair has reached the point where I'd have to shave it off if I experience anymore severe lost and the fact that Proscar was helping was such a relief. Sigh...

Would they have been similarly shocked if you just said Propecia? There's no difference in the active ingredient except Propecia is 1mg and marketed specifically for MPB. Proscar is also finasteride but in 5 MG tablets.

If you weren't responding anymore to Propecia, then why would you respond to Proscar? Not understanding. Unless you mean it's easier to take a higher dose with one Proscar tablet divided into 2 versus taking 2 Propecia tablets.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for the late reply, I went on a holiday the day after I posted and I didn't want to be thinking about it while on vacation

what was your source of propecia and proscar?

I'm not sure I understand. If you're asking where I get it from, I get it from my local pharmacy, we don't need a prescription here to get Proscar.

Would they have been similarly shocked if you just said Propecia? There's no difference in the active ingredient except Propecia is 1mg and marketed specifically for MPB. Proscar is also finasteride but in 5 MG tablets.

If you weren't responding anymore to Propecia, then why would you respond to Proscar? Not understanding. Unless you mean it's easier to take a higher dose with one Proscar tablet divided into 2 versus taking 2 Propecia tablets.

I'm not sure how they would have reacted if I said Propecia but as doctors they should know it's the same.

The reason I would be responding to Proscar is because it's 2.5 compared to 1mg Propecia. Also, it's a lot cheaper for me to split a 5mg pill than take two Propecia pills.

2.5mg of proscar daily? Have you tried splitting it into quarters or fifths or more?

Or try to use half a propecia tablet or even a quarter.

Yes I take 2.5 daily. Is that bad? I don't split it into more because I was already taking Propecia which was 1mg and it stopped being effective or rather less effective.

I've been struggling with the effectiveness of Propecia for a long time because back then my pharmacy didn't have Proscar and they also said that Avodart didn't sell here. So I had no choice but to stick to Propecia for a long time after realizing it's not working as well. More than 1 year I think.

I finally managed to find avodart and proscar and I'm very very happy with Proscar's results, but this whole sexual thing is very concerning especially since I never had this problem with Propecia.

Any advice or anything I should read on please throw it my way.