Can Accutane cause hair loss?

sheraz104

The individual response to this medication varies, and yes, shedding is one of them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

sheraz,

Thinning hair is one of the of the many known side effects of Accutane (isotretinoin). In many cases, this hair loss is temporary. However, for those susceptible to the effects of androgenic alopecia (genetic baldness), there is always a chance that these weakened hairs may not regrow.

I have no documentation to support this, but I suspect that Rogaine (minoxidil) may help to counter the increased balding from Accutane as it is a vasodilator that increases blood flow to the follicles. But, I would certainly discuss that with your dermatologist.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This is one seborrheic dermatitis treatment I would definitely be careful about for the reasons mentioned above!

I'm guessing your doc is trying to prescribe this to reduce overall sebum production.

Standard treatment for SD comprises topicals containing active ingredients such as ketoconazole and piroctone olamine etc. and also topical steroids/shampoos like clobex.

Also in severe cases some doctors may prescribe an oral antifungal like itraconazole for the short term, but this carries the risk of liver damage so the risks have to be weighed with the severity of the condition, and only ever under the direction of a medical doctor and for a very short period.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

sheraz,

Thinning hair is one of the of the many known side effects of Accutane (isotretinoin). In many cases, this hair loss is temporary. However, for those susceptible to the effects of androgenic alopecia (genetic baldness), there is always a chance that these weakened hairs may not regrow.

I have no documentation to support this, but I suspect that Rogaine (minoxidil) may help to counter the increased balding from Accutane as it is a vasodilator that increases blood flow to the follicles. But, I would certainly discuss that with your dermatologist.

What about topical Retin-A, any effects on hair growth/loss ????

Sorry, I forgot to add that it's a topical gel("isotrex 0.05%" it comes in a tube container). if I use like 2 to 3 tubes in the duration of one month would it still be enough to impact my hair?

PS

I'm balding and have been on Fin since last June.

Hmm, using it topically might be different, what does your doctor say btw?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I don't know about hair loss with topical Retin-A. I was familiar with Accutane because I'd been discussing it with my dermatologist for the past year.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Hair loss is actually rare possible side effect cause by accutane. The main reason behind this can be a heavy dose of medication, but don't worry these hair loss gets stopped and you will get your normal hair back once these treatment stops. Your hair may get thicken but not come out from the scalp.

The difficult thing about medications including topicals is that we will never know how we will respond until we try them.

Just about every medicine has a wide array of potential side-effects and risks including the ones that treat hair loss.

Hopefully, you will respond favorably...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Hair loss is one of the more noted side effects, but other people say their hair actually grows while on Accutane. If you're having hair loss even when you're not taking Accutane, my guess is that something else is going on and it's not the Accutane, as it doesn't stay in your system that long so it can't have this effect long term. I'd try to get some blood work done and see if it's something else systemically!

MPB is not hard to diagnose because of the obvious physical signs however hair loss from other conditions can be tricky to know.

Blood work is certainly the best way to find out.

Gillenator