Hair loss began at 16. Help me find a surgeon!

As I said in the title; I began my hair loss at the age of 16. I'm 21 now and have experienced manipulation from an Australian hair clinic who essentially gave me a run for my money.

My next step is to go through with an actual transplant - I've worked in a job I hate for the past year just to save up for this so I don't want to mess it up.

I don't have an impressive budget, but I'm looking at going overseas and getting the transplant done; maybe get some travel experience while I'm there. Please; PLEASE help me find an appropriate surgeon!! I'm very interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway/Denmark, so if you know of any respectable surgeons in that area; please share.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

djangountrained,

First of all, slow down! You should be asking "can someone refer an experience hair restoration doctor so I can have a consultation?" Don't rush into surgery. You are very young and first need to focus on hair therapy to slow down your hair loss process.

Can you include pictures???

Best of luck!

Understandable response! I apologise for the late reply. I've already had consultations here in Australia where I live, from about 19 I tried hair therapy to slow down my hair loss. While it did slow down the hair loss, I experienced side effects from the medication and I chose to discontinue my use. The other options I was provided didn't help.

I've attached a single picture; if you'd like a more specific angle or lighting let me know and I'll gladly oblige. Thank you!

IMG_1629.JPG.6b0a5e274cd385d326dfc5b42210ce3f.JPG

What did the doctors tell you during your consultations? You are only 21 and a future Norwood 5 on the hair loss table. You need to play this smart and not put yourself in a corner in the future. What I mean by that is if you start surgery too early and then realize you still have aggressive hair loss and may never catch up, you might get stuck in the middle and then not be able to shave your head later or look funny with limited results.

Step by step my friend.

I was told to attempt to slow my hair loss via medication, and with success go for a transplant. Without success my other options were PRP and more medication, and then a transplant. There behaviour/responses to my enquiries lead me to believe that their interest weren't quite the same as mine.

It's nice to talk to someone who understands the topic, I feel like I can learn from this.

I'm under the impression that at this point I would be able to have a transplant now, and at a later date when the rest of my hair goes AWOL I could do a second transplant and call it a day. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or knowledge on this concept!

Hair loss is progressive. To tell a patient at your age that they'll only need 1 or 2 hair transplant surgeries is irresponsible. Everyone's case is different. Some keep losing hair aggressively while other go through a slow process of hair loss. Nevertheless, No patient has all of a sudden stopped losing hair at 25. It keeps going either fast or slow. By taking part in medical therapy, you are hitting the brakes!! Slowing down the process....but never totally stopping it. Since you're only 21, you have to be on therapy for a few years to see it's effect in order to make the decision down the road if hair transplant will make a difference.

Be patient! :)

I'm not a doctor but have been learning and involved in the hair restoration industry for the past 15 years. Medical therapy is very important. The only scientifically proven options to help slow down hair loss is Finasteride and Minoxidil. Adding laser therapy can be slightly helpful, although not the best of the 3 options. PRP is not proven to help hair and too expensive ($2-3k for each session) with no guarantee of results, so I would side step that option. Also, find a very experienced hair restoration doctor, who specialized in hair restoration, not one that does hair and 5 other cosmetic surgeries. With their guidance plus your medical therapy, you will be led down the right path. Make sure the doctor is not "trigger happy" about surgery, but instead puts your best interest first, no their pocket.

Best of luck!

I was told to attempt to slow my hair loss via medication, and with success go for a transplant. Without success my other options were PRP and more medication, and then a transplant. There behaviour/responses to my enquiries lead me to believe that their interest weren't quite the same as mine.

It's nice to talk to someone who understands the topic, I feel like I can learn from this.

I'm under the impression that at this point I would be able to have a transplant now, and at a later date when the rest of my hair goes AWOL I could do a second transplant and call it a day. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or knowledge on this concept!

Django

Unfortunately because you're so young it's likely that most responsible doctors would want you to give finasteride (Propecia) a try for at least 1 year before any surgery. If your body responds to the medication and your hair loss is slowing down/stabilizing then they might find you a suitable candidate for what would likely be a "conservative transplant." If you don't get your hair loss stabilized medically, then you'll be fighting a constant uphill battle such that by the time the results of your 1st transplant have grown in you could have substantial loss in the non-transplanted areas and overall be unhappy with your sugery(s).

Thanks folks. Finasteride worked for me in slowing the process but I also recieved side effects that just weren't worth it. I'm contemplating an attempt at minoxidil and going for the conservative transplant; seems like a realistic option at least. Having such a hard time dealing with/understanding this hah, appreciate the advice guys

Finasteride (which is the most effective to slow down hair loss) gave you a side effect so you're going to try minoxidil instead? And you're considering a small hair transplant? If you start down the path of hair transplant and continue to lose, which you will, you might never have enough donor to cover your balding area, thus a moderate transplant may not give you a natural look later and then not be able to shave your head because of scarring. Be careful..........

Understandable response! I apologise for the late reply. I've already had consultations here in Australia where I live, from about 19 I tried hair therapy to slow down my hair loss. While it did slow down the hair loss, I experienced side effects from the medication and I chose to discontinue my use. The other options I was provided didn't help.

I've attached a single picture; if you'd like a more specific angle or lighting let me know and I'll gladly oblige. Thank you!

Your hair loss pattern looks similar to how mine was at my worst.

The meds certainly helped me and I would suggest you try Minox. Since you're young, I have a feeling that Minox would help quite a bit for a few years. Its too bad the Finasteride gave you untolerable effects, because the 2 together is a strong combo.

I did all 3 (minox, finasteride and HT) and what followed was a "perfect storm" of results.. but I was about 30 y/o at the time... I think you should take it slow, and don't do HT yet.. eventually if you decide to do HT, don't skimp out, pay for a quality surgeon so he can "create the illusion of fullness" with amount of donors that you do have.

5b32e03e92015_beforeafter.gif.8401dd71e158566984949cc0b9c99d20.gif

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Your hair loss pattern looks similar to how mine was at my worst.

The meds certainly helped me and I would suggest you try Minox. Since you're young, I have a feeling that Minox would help quite a bit for a few years. Its too bad the Finasteride gave you untolerable effects, because the 2 together is a strong combo.

I did all 3 (minox, finasteride and HT) and what followed was a "perfect storm" of results.. but I was about 30 y/o at the time... I think you should take it slow, and don't do HT yet.. eventually if you decide to do HT, don't skimp out, pay for a quality surgeon so he can "create the illusion of fullness" with amount of donors that you do have.

Thanks! I think I'll speak with a professional and see what their opinion is on me using Minoxidil. It's a shame I can't use Finasteride as well.

Glad to see you had such good results too, real happy for you.

Thanks folks. Finasteride worked for me in slowing the process but I also recieved side effects that just weren't worth it. I'm contemplating an attempt at minoxidil and going for the conservative transplant; seems like a realistic option at least. Having such a hard time dealing with/understanding this hah, appreciate the advice guys

If you don't mind, what side effects did you get?

Paulygon, how old were you when you took that picture? Keep in mind that the poster is only 21 (!!!), and imo your hairloss is hardly comparable considering this, but also that he appears to yet have thinner hair than you had and at a worse status than you were. I don`t think he will be a candidate who can be given the "illusion of fullness", regarding an ethical long-term plan.