Looking into hair transplant

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm a 29 year old man living in Boston MA, USA. I first started noticing my hair loss at the age of 24, it has been a steady progression of loss since. I want to get a hair transplant, the hair in the back/sides is ideally thick I think. I have concerns. There are so many doctors out there, it is hard to know where I might end up getting ripped off/stuck with lifelong embarrassing results. Cost is also a concern, but I don't need all my hair replaced now. I still have hair in the back of the top, though it is thinning, but the front half/third of the top is all but gone, my immediate goal is filling in the front, the rest can wait for when it is gone. I'm concerned about quality and cost, but I'm not concerned about invasiveness/short term recovery time, nor am I concerned about whether people can tell if I've had a hair transplant. I just want it to look good. I don't know which method is best, nor do I know how many grafts I would need to fill in the front third/half.

Looking online at areas in the Boston area, I haven't been convinced of the quality of the operations. Does anyone have any advice as to who I should to see for a consultation/who would be a good doctor(s) to choose for a transplant? I can see someone in the greater boston area or somewhere in the vicinity, I'd say NYC is the farthest away I could go.

Here is what I'm hoping to find out: Who in this vicinity would you recommend to consult with/choose for an operation? Who should I avoid? Are quality and concerns about cost mutually exclusive?

Edited by SET84
Specific question I didn't explicitly ask

Set,

Welcome to the community. If you're searching for information about hair transplant surgery, you've come to the right place.

I have two pieces of advice:

1. Spend some time researching on the discussion forums. You will learn a lot of information and proceed with a better knowledge of the hair transplant process. This insider information will help you navigate the consultation and surgical process, and obtain better resolution in the end.

2. I highly suggest reviewing our recommended hair transplant surgeons. We recommend a variety of excellent doctors on the East coast, and I think consulting with several of these experts would greatly help.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any additional questions or send me a private message.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Guest shreyas24

After reading your comments, i came to know that there will be an option to cover front sides of your bald area with help of PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma therapy) rather than HT(Hair Transplantation). Because through this treatment can fill thickness area by applying plasma blood cells for regenerating hair.

.. i came to know that there will be an option to cover front sides of your bald area with help of PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma therapy) rather than HT(Hair Transplantation). Because through this treatment can fill thickness area by applying plasma blood cells for regenerating hair.

Are you sure you read that here? PRP is not an alternative to a HT. That's been discussed here many times. Pull up PRP in the SEARCH feature.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

When looking to get a consult, should I get it with the doctor who will eventually do the operation? I ask this because there are many advertisements for free consults, but I've read many warnings about the quality of those who advertise. I want to do this but cost is a concern, so I'm curious if anyone has any advice as to the best way to go about the whole process. Thankyou in advance.

I can see someone in the greater boston area or somewhere in the vicinity, I'd say NYC is the farthest away I could go.

If you're willing to fly, but still want to keep it close, I'd include Dr. Konior in Chicago in your search and Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis. If you're not willing to fly, then in the New York area I'd consider Dr. Carlos Wesley; Drs. True and Dorin; and Dr. Alan Feller. I've also been impressed lately by the work of Dr. Jerry Cooley in Charlotte, NC.

Keep doing your research and consult with as many surgeons as you can.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

If you're willing to fly, but still want to keep it close, I'd include Dr. Konior in Chicago in your search and Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis. If you're not willing to fly, then in the New York area I'd consider Dr. Carlos Wesley; Drs. True and Dorin; and Dr. Alan Feller. I've also been impressed lately by the work of Dr. Jerry Cooley in Charlotte, NC.

Keep doing your research and consult with as many surgeons as you can.

So would you recommend avoiding those who aren't recommended here or are part of this sites network? I looked and only Dr's Dorin and True (who I have heard great things about) came up when I clicked on Massachusetts area, I can look at NY and other close states first. I imagine as these doctors are at the top of their field, their rates per graft are quite high, am I correct on this?

Also, I'm wondering why I would need to get as many consults as I can. Obviously, one would want a second opinion just to be sure what the proper course is, but beyond that?

Thank you everyone for your input

So would you recommend avoiding those who aren't recommended here or are part of this sites network? I looked and only Dr's Dorin and True (who I have heard great things about) came up when I clicked on Massachusetts area, I can look at NY and other close states first. I imagine as these doctors are at the top of their field, their rates per graft are quite high, am I correct on this?

This has been said countless times on here and I agree 100%, money and travel should not be your top concerns when it comes to your cosmetic appearance. You might be able to find a suitable compromise, but I cringe when I start seeing potential patients talk about cheap per graft rates. Personally I'd want to go the best, regardless of cost. Your 40 year-old self will thank your 29 year-old self.

Also, I'm wondering why I would need to get as many consults as I can. Obviously, one would want a second opinion just to be sure what the proper course is, but beyond that?

I had five in-person consults. You simply get a better sense of which surgeon is a better fit for you and who you'll feel most comfortable with. A consensus will also emerge about what you'll need to achieve your goals.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Set

I'm pretty new in this process, but have had my first transplant almost 4 weeks ago and had researched it for quite sometime so I think I can offer you a little advice.

You don't need to travel around the globe seeking out consults, but you do want to find a coalition doctor from the website who you're comfortable with. I would personally avoid the big TV advertising firm as it doesn't seem that their results are as big as their advertising budget. As has already been said money should not be a factor in choosing a surgeon. If it is, you should wait and have the surgery another time when you're more financially prepared to do it. The last thing you want is discount hair surgery with discount-looking results that will last you a life time.

The surgeons already recommended to you are very good. Check out the forums and take a look at their work. You'll find some surgeons are more regularly doing very large sessions >3000 grafts in a single pass while other surgeons seem to do less. Obviously 4000 grafts are more than 2000, but keeping in mind it takes 9-12 months to see full results you might opt for a single session if you need so many grafts to get the aesthetic you're looking for. Or you might opt for 2 smaller sessions etc....

Personally, I went with Dr. True (of True & Dorin). I can't yet speak for the results, but everything else was wonderful. Kind and caring staff - no sales pitches. Honest and straightforward communication.

Hi Set

I'm pretty new in this process, but have had my first transplant almost 4 weeks ago and had researched it for quite sometime so I think I can offer you a little advice.

You don't need to travel around the globe seeking out consults, but you do want to find a coalition doctor from the website who you're comfortable with. I would personally avoid the big TV advertising firm as it doesn't seem that their results are as good as their advertising budget. As has already been said money should not be a factor in choosing a surgeon. If it is you should wait and have the surgery another time when you're more financially prepared to do it. The last thing you want is discount hair surgery with discount-looking results that will last you a life time.

The surgeons already recommended to you are very good. Check out the forums and take a look at their work. You'll find some surgeons are more regularly doing very large sessions >3000 grafts in a single pass while other surgeons seem to do less. Obviously 4000 grafts are more than 2000, but keeping in mind it takes 9-12 months to see full results you might opt for a single session if you need so many grafts to get the aesthetic you're looking for. Or you might opt for 2 smaller sessions etc....

Personally, I went with Dr. True (of True & Dorin). I can't yet speak for the results, but everything else was wonderful. Kind and caring staff - no sales pitches. Honest and straightforward communication.