Why Does Hair Texture Change?

I was just thinking today about something that may seem odd but wondered what the answer was. Maybe there is someone out there who could answer this and maybe it happens to all of us. When I was younger my hair was fine and soft. As I've gotten older it has become more wiry and coarse. Why does hair do that as we age (or at least mine)?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time,

Very good question and a question I have always thought about. Mid 2006 my hair was thick but not curly, and then january of 2007 it became MORE thick and incredibly more curly. Of course, that was before the hairloss... Would love for a doc or someone else to chime in

It is relatively common to see changes in a person's hair texture as well as some of the other hair characteristics as they age. There are several reasons why this can occur, including alterations in the glandular function and changes in the patients diet and overall health. Not to mention the many unknown factors that probably effect a patients hair quality.

Thanks for your reply Dr. Charles. With that said is there a way to get back my softer hair? I'd rather have that back than the coarse hair I have now. My hair has been coarse for years but when I was a kid it was more like silk vs. straw. What do you mean by glandular function? My diet is clean and health good so I don't think that is the issue unless I'm eating something I'm not aware of that can cause hair to become coarse. Maybe I fall into the "unknown factors" category.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I think I found the answer. However, it doesn't say if there is anything that can be done to return to the previous more desirable texture. Any thoughts?

The texture of human hair can change for many reasons, but almost every person's hair texture changes as that person experiences puberty. During a child's early teen or pre-teen years, myriad chemical changes occur in the body to prepare the adolescent for reproductive capabilities. Among these changes are chemical alterations to the hair on the legs, body, genitals and head. It is very common for young children with fine, silky hair to develop coarse, wavy hair as a result of puberty. Some adults even experience changes in their hair's natural wave pattern as a result of natural growth. Although all of the effects of aging on hair are not fully understood, a person's hair naturally changes textures (and even colors) as the person gets older. Hair on men, for example, naturally falls out and is replaced by hair that is progressively thinner and more coarse. As the man gets older, his hair becomes thinner and eventually falls out because of this pattern.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts