FUE for face-framing?

Hi,

I am looking for advice. My hairline has significantly receded, and additionally, my entire top is gradually thinning.

That being said, my father is a Urologist, and I am really quite certain I don't want to even mess with the chance of Propecia's side-effects. I've seen what can happen, and it is not something I want to test fate with.

I am wondering if it is possible for me to get a HT to frame the front of my face (i.e. rebuild mature hairline). I am reasonable-- I know I wont get a full head of hair back. Honestly, I don't care about the crown too much.

I am 22 years old, and while no crown might suck for a few years, by age 30 I believe many others will be the same place. I like short hair on myself, but I dont look good bald.

My question then, is, how possible is it for me to get grafts at the frontal half of my head, such that it recreates the hairline? I will leave the crown alone. I don't want to have to use Propecia or even Minoxidil (this one out of annoyance) after I get the HT.

Is this possible?

*Edited to fix poor wording

herroprease,

It's certainly possible. But, is it advisable? Probably not. With no pics it's harder to give advice. However, recreating a mature hairline with the potential for a fully bald crown in the future would probably look quite unnatural. In fact, for the majority of young hair loss sufferers, recreating a mature hairline is a really bad idea.

Though you're still very young for surgical hair restoration, there is no harm in consulting with an ethical and experienced hair transplant surgeon to discuss your desires and formulate a plan for the future. Just do your research carefully. There are docs out there that will operate on anyone, even if it's not in the patient's best interest.

Your profile indicates that you're in MD. I suggest Dr. James Vogel. If you are open to travel to nearby states, use our interactive map to locate recommended hair restoration physicians across the NE. There are many excellent docs in that part of the country.

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the response David. What makes it unnatural though? I feel like I know several older men with great hair except a bald patch at the crown.

Another reason I think its a strong choice is that even the smallest bit of hair up top can change the look. For those who watch Modern Family, look at Jay Pritchett. He is bald, but he has just enough hair up top to frame the face. (Photos below)

3046.281x308.jpg

article-0-1B62BE9B000005DC-398_634x460.jpg

so, this makes me think of Joe Biden...

his hairline seems to low to have an empty crown...

but with a mature hairline, I feel like an empty crown could be more acceptable.

the Modern Family actor you posted above, looks good.. and with your argument regarding framing the face, you kinda sold me on the idea.

25_bidenhair_lg.jpg.9e3374ab64a68fb00ae14edca2a2745b.jpg

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

When I said...

In fact, for the majority of male hair loss sufferers, recreating a mature hairline is a really bad idea.

I actually meant to say "In fact, for the majority of young hair loss sufferers, recreating a mature hairline is a really bad idea."

Sorry for the error.

What I was trying to convey is that it's a slippery slope establishing a hairline in very young patients because, in many cases, it's not possible to accurately predict how far hair loss will progress.

I agree that Biden's hair looks decent and age appropriate. He's also gat very white hair. I don't know that a similar look would work for me because men in my family don't generally get that nice, pure white hair. We get more of a darker gray with some white. Not nearly as attractive and adds more contrast.

Anyway, Biden and even Ed O'Neil have maintained that all important link from the front to the sides. The think you want to avoid is recreating a mature front that ends up a detached island with no donor hair remaining. This is what good planning is all about.

But, as I said, consulting with a few quality physicians is the best way to find out what your options are and form a long-term plan that will suit you into old age.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I am 21 now; I'd like to give it another a year to see how my hairloss progresses.

Based on that I will make a plan for how and when to get this done. Again, I understand the necessity of being pragmatic. Its certainly a big decision so I want to take my time.

Another question, can you have grafts put in places that still have some density left?

Like when you mentioned the "connecting part between side and top"-- I still have alot of that. But I also know its destined to fall out soon enough. Can I preemptively have grafts put in there, or is it better to wait till it falls out?