Persistant very small scab in 1 place that keeps coming back

I seem to develop a very small scab in 1 area of my hairline. It is about the size of 2-3 hairs grouped together. Does anyone have any idea why? Any advice?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego,

Are you picking at the scab in order for it to come back?

Picking scabs usually causes them to come back since scabbing is simply part of a healing process. Why it formed in the first place, I don't know. Perhaps it started as a pimple and broke and needs to scab to heal?

It might be a good idea to leave the scab go for few days and let it fall off naturally.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

I usually do not pick it at all. It usually falls off on its own or via hair brushing but then comes back again. It has come and gone several times over the months. I do not feel any pimple there. There is no pain involved. I have no idea why it happens (it is about 1/3 the size of a pencil eraser) but I'm getting a little concerned.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by spex:

You got me mate.. icon_confused.gif Maybe see your GP for them to have a look. Does it bleed when the scab comes off?

I have not seen it bleed at all. I'm not overly concerned because as I said its pretty small. I just would like to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I think I will email my doctor on Monday.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

wantego,

I too am not sure. Maybe you have a small case of folliculitis, though you would probably feel something. You may want to let a doctor evaluate it if it's concerning you.

Best wishes,

Bill

I will keep an open mind to all but from what I have read and seen in pictures this does not seem to be folliculitis. No pimple. No pain. Not red or pink. Just a tiny small whitish type scab that forms then goes away.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I had exactly the same thing after my first transplant , the doctor who did my second told me it was a graft that had grown inward (under the skin in a circular motion) and was trying to surface over and over, he fixed it up and i havent had a problem since.

Originally posted by GilesLavery:

I had exactly the same thing after my first transplant , the doctor who did my second told me it was a graft that had grown inward (under the skin in a circular motion) and was trying to surface over and over, he fixed it up and i havent had a problem since.

That is interesting. I'm surprised that did not cause you to have a pimple. What did he do to fix it?

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

i asked him how he fixed it , he said it was simply a matter of correcting the path the hair was growing at , as it was not surfacing and growing cicular under the skin he broke the skin surface and flicked the hair upward (to put it very basically), and yes i did get a pimple ... over and over ... pimple - scab - semi heal - pimple - scab repeat over and over for 8 months , it looked terrible.

If in the donor area, its a deep suture working its way out. In the recipient, hard to tell. Stop in to your doc for a quick check. Once in a blue moon folks heal "too quickly" and build up a little granuation tissue and a small shot of steroid will fix that.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by GilesLavery:

i asked him how he fixed it , he said it was simply a matter of correcting the path the hair was growing at , as it was not surfacing and growing cicular under the skin he broke the skin surface and flicked the hair upward (to put it very basically), and yes i did get a pimple ... over and over ... pimple - scab - semi heal - pimple - scab repeat over and over for 8 months , it looked terrible.

Thanks for the reply. When I asked my doctor via email about it 2 months ago he said it might be ingrown hair but I have not had a pimple nor any pain in that area.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

If in the donor area, its a deep suture working its way out. In the recipient, hard to tell. Stop in to your doc for a quick check. Once in a blue moon folks heal "too quickly" and build up a little granuation tissue and a small shot of steroid will fix that.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Thanks for the reply Dr. Lindsey. It is right in my hair line (recipient area). If it is a deep suture wound is it something I should be concerned about? It doesnt seem like a big deal. Just a pinhead white scab of crust. Sadly I cant pop in to see my doctor. He is around 2000 miles away. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs