Buying time

Hi

27 years old & been experiencing noticeable mpb since around 21 - I've managed to hold on to what I've got relatively well with the exception of my temples, but unfortunately anti androgens are no longer an option for me.

Was on proscar (quartered) for several months earlier on although experienced penis-related sides that led me to quit - nothing dramatic, but enough to outweigh any benefits in my opinion.

I then made the transition to topical RU with great success for over a year - no sexual sides (that I noted), however my memory recall got progressively worse. Enough for me to really struggle at work & also in remembering things that I previously had no issues with, such as dates, movies, albums, etc.

Thankfully all my sides disappeared after use, but I now only am currently using minox once per day & natural vitamins in my fight against baldness - is there anything else I could supplement to my regime that would slow down my predisposition?

I know I'm not going to be able to keep what I have or reverse the process, but a few more years with hair would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously any anti androgen appears to be unsuitable to me, - Thanks in advance

P

Hi Peter,

I'm glad you were able to continue the minoxidil. As you probably know, it and finasteride are the only two preventive medications approved by the US FDA for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. If you experience adverse side effects from the anti-androgen medications, your preventive options may be a bit limited. Do you use a ketoconazole-based shampoo like Nizoral or Revita? Many members report positive benefits from the combination of finasteride, minoxidil, and a ketoconazole shampoo or minoxidil and a ketoconazole shampoo alone.

Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Future HT Doc - Currently not, but will look to incorporate this into my regime even though I only wash my hair once a week.

What about the hairmax laser comb? I know there was confusion over previous claims as to being FDA approved when this only extended to the safety profile, but their site does claim this approval covers efficacy & safety.

Anyone getting results, or jury still out on this one?

Hi Peter,

I'm glad you were able to continue the minoxidil. As you probably know, it and finasteride are the only two preventive medications approved by the US FDA for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. If you experience adverse side effects from the anti-androgen medications, your preventive options may be a bit limited. Do you use a ketoconazole-based shampoo like Nizoral or Revita? Many members report positive benefits from the combination of finasteride, minoxidil, and a ketoconazole shampoo or minoxidil and a ketoconazole shampoo alone.

Good luck.

Hello Future HT doc,

I have typed nizoral and a site explaining products and ingredients along with side effects said that hairloss is one of the rare side effects of nizoral ...This is very disturbing to hear especially if this is what we try to avoid right? Even if this is a rare chance..

This is the site : KETOCONAZOLE SHAMPOO - TOPICAL (Nizoral) side effects, medical uses, and drug interactions.

I know your experience with finasteride was not a good one however even if you adjust the frequency of ingestion to a 1/4 tablet every other day or every third day may ward off the sexual side-effects.

Now because we are not licensed physicians, cannot give any medical advice yet I see many docs advocate this approach. In fact, I have heard of more docs initially starting their patients on an infrequent schedule as they introduce the med for the first time. Then, eventually the rate of ingestion can be slowly increased to find that acceptable balance.

Am only mentioning this for two reasons. First, only low dose finasteride can effectively inhibit the DHT causing our hair loss. And second, because I have heard from enough guys who did cut back their ingestion and had no more sexual side-effects.

Obviously the best thing to do is to consult your licensed physician who specializes in treating hair loss...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

so, maybe you should look into the laser hair comb since you are running out of FDA approved options. Just so you know, when I went to the ISHRS conference in OCT 2013 as a Live Patient for Dr Mohebi, I chatted up many of the hair surgeons, as they were analyzing my restored hair.. they all told to me to keep taking finasteride. some told me the minox doesn't matter so much (after a HT). and only 1 person insisted that I use the LaserComb. I couldn't believe a doctor was recomending that to me and I brushed it off. But in your case, since you are running out of options, I would actually try the laser comb.. who knows, it may actually be of benefit to you. Try it!

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

i had to copy this information from another site because it had sprinkles of information that you can manipulate to the benefit of your current situation, which is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Good luck man!

-----

1: personally I think laser combs are outdated. I've got few tips for you, I'll just list my hair regrowth regime:

5% minoxidil (regaine) twice daily

resveramix tablets twice daily (resveratrol antioxidant) powerful dht blocker...trust me

saw palmetto 500mg twice daily

vlasyproject 54 laser unit 20minutes daily

that's it... I have short hair aprox. 0.5cm long all the time so i have plenty of exposure to the scalp for the laser to work. I keep my hair at about 80-90% all the time. regrowth is nothing new for me.

the combs are designed for longer hair but they simply don't have enough power! the more diodes, the better. the vlasyproject laser unit was the most affordable thing i could find for the most diodes... it has 54 diodes which is way more than any other comb I've ever seen lol. unfortunately hair loss treatments aren't advanced enough to have long hair and regrowth without surgical methods. but if you're ok with short hair do what i do.

hope this gave some insight

----

2:Guys, i am not going to name names, but I recently had a transplant with one of the highly revered docs here in nyc. Very happy with results. He does believe there is some merit to lasers. Not to expect major growth, but mostly to help with thicker growth of existing. In order recommended: fen/minox and then laser. But her does believe that he has seen enough data to support this.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Thanks, appreciate the info - Don't think I can forsee myself trying fin again anytime soon. Not that my effects were particularly severe, but I still don't want to risk worsening over time & don't think it is wise to mess with my hormones seeing as I am obviously in that unlucky 2%.

Also I was only on it for several months & it took three weeks off to fully recover. Will look at some of these alternaitves, know they won't be as powerful but hopefully i can at least slow the loss for a few mor years than with nothing.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Laser combs may have some merit regarding the stimulation of native hair follicles from telogen (dormant) to anagen (growth) phase. Or as Paulygon stated, to potentially increase hair shaft diameter.

The problem is that there are no empirical data to support that opinion...:confused:

And if there were any significant results to a fair number of patients, they would be all over these hair loss online communities praising the laser combs.

But there is virtually no one commending their results...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY