4 Questions/Concerns

Hi,

Ive been researching and contemplating getting a HT for many years. Im 33. I still havent "pulled the trigger" and still not even sure I will. I have 4 major questions/concerns that I hope can be answered/addressed:

1. Should I wait for a newer, better treatment? I was going to get an FUT 4 years ago because it looked really appealing, but I didnt, and Im glad i didnt because i like to keep my hair short and the newer FUE procedure emerged as a far more appropriate alternative to address my needs. I wonder then: perhaps in 4 more years, will there be something considerably better if i hold off?

2. I dont want to take any drugs or various lotions and would rather be bald than do so. Do i need to take these drugs/lotions?

3. Im currently estimated at needing 2500-3000 graphs. If I get the FUE surgery and my hair loss continues, and for some reason I cant get another HT, will I then have the hair on the back of my head and the hair that has been transplanted on the top/front with strange unorthodox balding areas throughout? That will look even worse than normal balding wont it? And if this is the case, is it possible for me to just change my mind, accept my hair loss and shave it, or will the fue scars be visible with a clean shave? I guess my question is: have others received a HT, realized they needed another HT, but then decided to accept balding and shave it all or onceyou get one you really need to keep them going to "finish the job"?

4. Do others consider that when they are older - 50-70's - they will regret having the hairline of someone in their twenties and perhaps looking somewhat strange?

Hi, here are some preliminary answers from a non-expert.

1. There is nothing significant in the trials pipeline currently to wait for. You may hope for a better price and more skilled doctors/technicians in 5-10 years.

2. With hair transplants you dont need the drugs, but you will want to do some drugs post-op to speed up the growth. I think it's not mandatory, I dont like drugs either, but after a month I feel like I can stick with it forever if it works.

3. This one is a controversial topic. I also wanted a backup plan to shave at some point. Obviously you have to do FUE. Even with FUE there will be little scars/traces. They can be minimized with smaller punch sizes. The good news is those can be concealed permanently with micro-pigmentation (tattoos) very successfully if you have dark hair and want to maintain a certain hair length.

4. I made peace with the fact that 50+ year old me will probably look a little strange, but also making a small bet on better technology that will remedy it. I am 31 now.

Edited by fueshare

1. Waiting is a personal decision, but most will tell you that there will not be anything better in 4 years. If you are a good FUE candidate, I would not expect something better in the next 4 years. It is a very natural looking procedure. The only place for it to get better will be a way to increase your donor or the potential for undermining the grafts. Also, in 4 years, your options of more good FUE docs will be increased.

2. I had an HT at 33, I still feel that is plenty young enough that if you are a NW3, you should be on finasteride. If you chose to not get on it, you should plan on having more procedures than you would without it. There has been a very positive 10 study stating that 86 percent of men were at least at their baseline after 10 years. So, if I were someone that would not take fin, I would forgo surgery personally.

3. You can razor shave after 3000 FUE and it not be noticeable for most people. Many can shave down to a grade 1. If you think that there could be a reason that you could not get another one, ESPECIALLY if you refuse medical therapy, you should forgo the surgery.

4. Some do, that is why your long term game plan is important. Blunting your corners is a bad idea. I even wish my hairline is was a cm higher, not for now, but for when I am 60. I found that your hair volume will make your hairline look lower when it is grown out then when it is shaved a drawn on, so I advise to err on the side of a little higher hairline. If you go to a top doc, which you will find as you research, the chances are very minimal that you will look strange.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Lets say I go and get a 2500 graph FUE done this year from a highly reputable surgeon. It will take about 6-7 months for the hair to grow and look good. As I will not to take the drugs, my hair loss will continue, and I may very need another in 12-24 months from now to replace the additional hair ive lost. For arguments sake, lets say i get the 2500 graphs on the front, top and some crown on my head, but then decide against getting another HT. I decide I will shave my head with a 1 blade so that my hair is shaved but the scars on the back of my head are still not visible. The result, I assume, will be that it appears I have simply shaved a basically full head of hair as the front, top and crown will obviously appear to have hair growing, albeit, perhaps with a couple of barely visible patches. Is this theory correct? Im not saying i wont get another HT - I probably will - but im just considering everything.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Lets say I go and get a 2500 graph FUE done this year from a highly reputable surgeon. It will take about 6-7 months for the hair to grow and look good. As I will not to take the drugs, my hair loss will continue, and I may very need another in 12-24 months from now to replace the additional hair ive lost. For arguments sake, lets say i get the 2500 graphs on the front, top and some crown on my head, but then decide against getting another HT. I decide I will shave my head with a 1 blade so that my hair is shaved but the scars on the back of my head are still not visible. The result, I assume, will be that it appears I have simply shaved a basically full head of hair as the front, top and crown will obviously appear to have hair growing, albeit, perhaps with a couple of barely visible patches. Is this theory correct? Im not saying i wont get another HT - I probably will - but im just considering everything.

I wouldn't say that this is correct. It depends on skin color, hair color and caliber, etc.

With that sized case, there will still be treat contrast with a horse show pattern, with the visibility that you are not completely bald, but have loss none the less.

You can check out some of Dr. Lorenzo's videos that are a 2 step process. Many of them show him shave the head after about 3000 grafts and you can see what it looks like.

You could add some SMP to the grafts and give the illusion of more density, but I am still a little skeptical on the pigments for now and would personally wait to they have a true 5 year SMP, instead of the SMP now that is lasting 6 months to 2 years. The temps now that I have seen do well in scars, but on a shaved head getting sun, I don't think they last long enough to make it worth it, and I personally would not get permanent ink done.

HT's are a long term commitment if you are young and not very advanced, I would plant on having a second session at some point.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi, thanks again for your reply. I couldn't find the Dr Lorenzo "2 step process" video. You dont have the links do you?

I found this video though:

It shows an FUE with the donor area completely shaved and the scars barely recognizable. I figure If i get an excellent doctor, I still have the option of shaving concealing both the scars and the balding. Sorry i know i already asked/stated that, but would you agree from this video?

Hard to tell from the video. I think it really depends on how bald you are and you are going to get. Keep researching and you'll find a video of a bald guy with a transplant that's been shaved. It's much less dense than this fellow who has a lot of native hair left.

View Spanker's Website