thin crown at 21 years of age

hi guys,

i am a 21 year old male. i have a little bit thin crown (75 hairs per square cm as measured by a hair densitometer). my hairline is ok and density is also ok apart from the crown area. My hairloss started when i was 18 yrs old because of excessive dandruff. But then i started to take finasteride and minox treatment. and after having been 1 year of the treatment my hairloss stopped. but my crown was thin and it is still the same after 2 yrs without any further hairloss. So can i undergo a hair transplant just to add density to the crown part because its bothering me a lot when sometimes my friends can notice that little bit thinning part????

Adity,

75 hairs per square centimeter or 75 follicular units per square centimeter? If it is the latter, then your density is likely normal. Most define "normal" density as 80-100 follicular unit per square centimeter, so you're pretty much average there. However, 75 hairs per square centimeter would equate to roughly 30 follicular units per square centimeter, which would be noticeable thinning.

Unfortunately, a hair transplantation would likely not be a good solution for you for two reasons:

First, your age. At 21 years of age, the progression of your hair loss is too unpredictable. It is likely that you will keep receding in the crown and require continually procedures to avoid an unnatural "island" of transplanted hair in the middle of bald scalp. If you do stabilize your hair loss for a number of years with preventive medications a crown transplant may become a realistic possibility down the road. Second, because utilizing a large number of grafts - which is almost always necessary in a full crown restoration - in the crown may compromise your ability to restore the more visible regions of your scalp in the future. If you continue to recede in a classical androgenic alopecia fashion, it is likely that you will experience thinning in the frontal scalp. When the time comes for a hair transplant, you will likely want to use a large number of grafts to naturally restore this region - as it is the most visible and noticeable. If you've depleted half (or more) of your available donor supply with a crown transplant, you likely will not be able to restore the frontal scalp and may find yourself "stuck" with obvious thinning. Frankly, I think this would be much more noticeable to your aforementioned friends.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Friends can be harsh when it comes to things like hair loss. They seem to get off on pointing it out. I know, because when I was your age there was this one guy who made a comment about my receding hairline, placed his fingers on my forehead and said I had a 'four-finger forehead.' Trust me, I wish I had a four-finger forehead now! I imagine you are sensitive about it because of their comments, but it's probably not as bad as you think. Posting some pics on here would allow members to better assess your situation.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Thanx a lot for your valuable advice guys. Here I would like to mention that the density is 75 hairs per square cm ( not 75 follicular units). And I am attaching some of my current pictures which may help you to guide me...

5b32de797e3aa_forsending3.jpg.6c5f277d9f053ec9fa3804a21e151891.jpg

5b32de798fc0f_hairforsending_2.jpg.9fce609c306e2741a840a6dbb1adbd21.jpg

front.jpg.4081c5b582c2dfcdd6ab7d9c1063423c.jpg

5b32de79c580d_frontwithtilt.jpg.f32c31787ed1e12965332349b2961fe7.jpg

hi guys,

i am a 21 year old male. i have a little bit thin crown (75 hairs per square cm as measured by a hair densitometer). my hairline is ok and density is also ok apart from the crown area. My hairloss started when i was 18 yrs old because of excessive dandruff. But then i started to take finasteride and minox treatment. and after having been 1 year of the treatment my hairloss stopped. but my crown was thin and it is still the same after 2 yrs without any further hairloss. So can i undergo a hair transplant just to add density to the crown part because its bothering me a lot when sometimes my friends can notice that little bit thinning part????

Where you're young, try some natural treatments before considering a transplant. Use coconut oil in your hair, and make sure your diet is getting enough protein, Omega 3 fatty acids, iron, B vitamins, and Zinc.

Keep those pictures, aditya94, because when you're 40 you'll wish you had that crown! And so will your friends. It doesn't look bad at all. It looks like it might be starting to thin a little, but you're using meds and that's the best step you can take at this point. Sounds like your friends are poking at an insecurity. You have a great head of hair, man. Now run along and live life and have fun. Check back in 5 years. ;)

Thanx guys ..actually i want to know that if i maintain this hair then can i do the transplant after 4 yrs (when i will be 25 yrs) to add the required density or the transplant would make the existing hair follicles fall out permanently???

There is always a risk of permanently shocking out already miniaturizing/weak hairs with transplants. Even though I've been using Propecia since 1997, I've still experienced hair loss. It just slowed it down considerably. So you'll lose those already miniaturizing hairs in your crown eventually, it's just a matter of when and a HT can potentially speed that up.

So guys for now what can i do to conceal this thinning??? A combover or a temporary daily use concealer wont work for me bcause there always remains a risk of the concealer coming off as i live a very active life. So is there any way to hide this littlebit thinning???

Actually i tried dermmatch..but the problem with concealers like dermmatch is that when any person just touches the hair, the concealers come off..i guess the same is also with toppik or caboki.. So i am not inclined towards the concealers

Adity,

Like a few others stated, it really doesn't look like you have any noticeable thinning in the crown/vertex region. If you are really concerned about potential thinning in this part of the scalp, it may be helpful to consult with a hair loss expert and consider starting preventive therapies like minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia). These drugs are approved specifically to treat hair loss in the vertex region of the scalp. However, I think a hair restoration expert may come to the same conclusion: you don't have significant thinning in the crown.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

thanx guys for your valuable replies.... yeah i am on minox and finasteride.. and i have no more hairloss after being on these treatments... if i maintain my existing hair then can i undergo a hair transplant in the future to add density in the crown....i mean CAN I ADD DENSITY IF I MAINTAIN MY PRESENT HAIR?