Emerson,

I assume you are referring to strip surgery? Altogether, it will vary and depends on a number of factors. For example, individuals with a thinner scar, higher density in the donor region, coarser, curlier hair, and hair similar in color to the scar tissue will be able to shave to a closer guard. However, in general, in seems like most shave to somewhere between a "4" and a "6" without issue. Others may shave closer, and there is always the option of FUE - which usually allows for a closer shave - if you are concerned about visible scarring in the donor region.

Are you looking for a cream or fiber ("shaker") concealer?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm 2 weeks post-op (strip) and I cannot figure out what to do with my hair. Do I shave the whole thing and expose the scar or look like a weirdo with nothing on top!?

My advice is to get the mindset right at this stage. The other stuff will change with time. You have to prepare for the 'doldrums' (Month 1- 3) and I would say 'compromise' is the best word for it.

Be neither the wierdo or reckless. Experiment with different lengths and products to see how short you can get away with it for. If you have only mild recession and a decent shock of hair, you may be able to sail through it just looking a bit thinner, but shockloss and scar widening may force you to adapt in other ways - so be prepared to compromise.

I'm 2 weeks post-op (strip) and I cannot figure out what to do with my hair. Do I shave the whole thing and expose the scar or look like a weirdo with nothing on top!?

Scar5 is right, you gotta try and adjust your mindset. Luckily, I am able to wear a hat in my line of work, so I've been hiding under one for the past 5 months, while looking like a 'weirdo' underneath. That doesn't mean I haven't been self-conscious about the hat - my colleagues have made comments. I even had someone say 'Are you bald underneath?'

I'd check out 1978matt's thread - he mentions his approach after his first haircut at 21 days:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171968-raymond-konior-md-4-320-fut-grafts-august-2013-a-5.html

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

My advice is to get the mindset right at this stage. The other stuff will change with time. You have to prepare for the 'doldrums' (Month 1- 3) and I would say 'compromise' is the best word for it.

Be neither the wierdo or reckless. Experiment with different lengths and products to see how short you can get away with it for. If you have only mild recession and a decent shock of hair, you may be able to sail through it just looking a bit thinner, but shockloss and scar widening may force you to adapt in other ways - so be prepared to compromise.

Scar5 is right, you gotta try and adjust your mindset. Luckily, I am able to wear a hat in my line of work, so I've been hiding under one for the past 5 months, while looking like a 'weirdo' underneath. That doesn't mean I haven't been self-conscious about the hat - my colleagues have made comments. I even had someone say 'Are you bald underneath?'

I'd check out 1978matt's thread - he mentions his approach after his first haircut at 21 days:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171968-raymond-konior-md-4-320-fut-grafts-august-2013-a-5.html

Thanks for the input. I just read through 1978matt's thread and his results are just amazing. When I first got to page 3 of his haircut, I was like - man, that's me!! But by month 6 its just unreal.

At least i have an idea of what i can achieve with the haircut.