7 months post op

Hi I am now 7 months post op having had 3800 grafts with dr Bhatti

My question is I have never taken meds or minoxidil before transplant but did take both propecia and minoxidil for 5 months post op . I am 42 years of age and this was my 4 th procedure .

At 5 months I thought my hair looked thicker than it does now at 7 months .is this just me being paranoid and expecting too much too soon? Or does it have something to do with finishing propecia and minoxidil at 5 month mark ?

Any help please

Regards barry

When I stopped taking Propecia several years ago for a couple of months, I noticed I started thinning considerably and got right back on it.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

could be some of the hairs returning to their normal shed/growth cycle, after the bam! early growth where the new hairs all grow on the same noticeable growth spurt some shed to return later, but this is for the recipient area

for your existing hair consider med related issues as mentioned by Since21

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hi , thanks guys for replies I'm just a bit worried because all the hair on top of my head is transplanted hair none of my own existing hair remained so this leads me to the question .if all the hair where I have noticed thinning since the 5 month mark is transplanted hair ?, would meds I. E minoxidil or propecia make any difference to the density ?

Make a difference to the density of the transplanted hair or to the native hair that was lost because you're not on meds?

You have to understand, MPB is progressive, and at the moment Propecia and Minoxidil are your two best weapons against it. Propecia helps retain existing native hair and Rogiane stimulates and strengthens (from my understanding both native and transplanted hair). Nether is a cure and have limited effectiveness. They just slow down mother nature.

A lot of doctors encourage you to take Rogaine after a HT because it can lead to early growth. Unfortunately it caused me to shed excessively in my mid-scalp and crown behind the recipient area and I wasn't okay with that. Now that it's stabilized and I'm 5 months post-op I won't risk it and go back to using it.

I won't stop taking Propecia because I have seen the effect its had on preserving my hair for the past 17 years. I don't know if this info helps or not, but that is my experience with meds. People respond to them differently and each person ultimately finds what works for them after weighing the risks and benefits of each.

Hi thank you for reply . Just to clear up as I mentioned earlier I had no native hair left on top of my head all that is there has been transplanted and that is what I'm worrying about the thinning of the transplanted hair mid scalp compared to two months ago . Also me being 42 and nearly all of my native hair gone would it even be beneficial taking propecia and using minox or would it just be a waste of time and money considering the damage is already done ?

Why did you stop at 5 months post-op? Were you experiencing side effects? You said it looked thicker at 5 months than it did at 7. Why not try using them again and see what happens. I don't think you'll get a definitive answer until you do.

No dr Bhatti said to use minox and propecia for six months after transplant to help growth and help post shed . I asked if it was worth continuing it but was told it was not worth it

He said it wasn't worth continuing Propecia? I'd ask him again about that because that goes against conventional wisdom - it's a surgeon's little helper.

In fairness I think he was thinking along the lines of I'm 42 been losing my hair since about 21 so damage has been done and my hair loss had stabilised and that there wasn't much point in taking the meds to grow back any hair