2370 grafts - Dr. Gabel

So its been 6 weeks post-up. Used minoxidil from the 4th week and had to stop it due to some side effects. Hence, Dr. Gabel suggested to use Revivogen (Shampoo, Conditioner and the scalp solution). Nothing much i can infer about it in this forum but any proven results/recommendations of using this post-HT?

Also Gabel pulled out hell a lot of white particles from my head yesterday. It doesn't look like the scabs/crusts but the typical dandruff. It was (is) even in the sides. Is dandruff something serious post-HT such that i hinders the growth? Not sure how much Revivogen helps here.

I am planning to apply coconut oil (as i always used to before the surgery) to make the scalp not go dry. If it is something that affects the growth, pls let me know....Wanted to doubly ensure that nothing prevents/delays the good from happening

Now am onto the ugly ducking phase..pretty much back to the stages pre-op.

Photos below (pre-op & immediate post-up)...

Hoping to see some traffic here....need all your suggestions/comments/feedback..whatever possible :)

Hoping to see

1.jpg.aa6e57d28036ad304668b50432e2b163.jpg

2.jpg.979ee47b8045070153e06ef52dd18dd3.jpg

3.jpg.1f3386b926bb62bb1b32a2b693fb1713.jpg

4.jpg.845ffacae970afe6603456385ae4c3aa.jpg

5.jpg.ab74c389985ceab8db2a62cb8ed359ee.jpg

Dandruff will not ruin your results but harsh shampoos can, so go mild as possible with the medicated shampoos.

Eucerin was recommended to me by my doctor to try for dry type dandruff, and after trying recently it seems to work well (dermo capillaire calming shampoo).

Try it on your sides and back hair to see how your scalp reacts to it, if it looks good try 1-2 times in the recipient area until dandruff is gone or becomes softer and less of an issue.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Dandruff will not ruin your results but harsh shampoos can, so go mild as possible with the medicated shampoos.

Eucerin was recommended to me by my doctor to try for dry type dandruff, and after trying recently it seems to work well (dermo capillaire calming shampoo).

Try it on your sides and back hair to see how your scalp reacts to it, if it looks good try 1-2 times in the recipient area until dandruff is gone or becomes softer and less of an issue.

Cool mate...this looks like a wise move to start. And will applying oil (possibly coconut) pose any impact to the growth? Read somewhere something similar. And not to leave the scalp dry for longer times....if it is not advised

It depends on what your scalp condition is, if it's seborrheic dermatitis oils can sometimes make it worse, if its dry dandruff or seborrheic psoriasis than oils can help in removing the scales and larger flakes.

I'm not sure if the coconut oil will be good or bad, but if it helps the scaling go away it could at least keep the area softer and help in maintaining healthy exfoliation (nothing hard & scaly stuck to the grafts etc.)

Pimples are usually a sign of new growth and hairs trying to break through the skin, so they usually are seen sometime after month two and mostly 3-4 months.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

hsrp10 is right, in my opinion. I've used the harsher stuff on my native hair in the donor area due to a severe case of dandruff I developed 3 months post-op. I continued to use a very mild SLS-free baby shampoo on my graft site because I didn't develop dandruff there and don't want to take any unnecessary risks. My doctor recommended a regiment of T/Gel, T/Sal and Nizoral (I used Regenepure DR instead), using them alternately 6 days a week until the problem was under control. It has since cleared up considerably so I am going to try a milder approach using the T/Sal and Regenepure DR back-to-back days once a week.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

getting dandruff or scalp buildup in the recipient area can really cause stress and worrying, especially in the early months.

it's sometimes a good idea as Since21 mentions to actually use different shampoos on different parts of your scalp, to protect the new grafts and also different areas of the scalp may have different dryness levels etc.

go dense or go home

Actually i do have a bit of dandruff on the recipient area and more on the sides & back (may be due the presence of more hair...?). That said, do i need to use heavy shampoos that i have currently (Head & shoulders, Revivogen) and a mild one on the recipient area... i have Johnson's baby shampoo that Gabel recommended for the 1st three weeks post-op. After that i started using H&S and there was not any dandruff problem.

Only since the last 10 days or so it came up...i was told that Revivogen increases the thickening and hence was advised to use it all over. But i see to that after applying it on a daily basis, dandruff is reduced. If this is a good sign and if this is NOT going to affect the growth by any means, i could go for it...Basically if dandruff is something that HAS to be take care, i don't want to disregard it either.

And the reason for my ask on applying oil on the scalp, is to ensure if a dry scalp can affect the growth. I have read a couple of forums somewhere that coconut oil infact can block the layer and hence growth might be delayed. Not sure how authentic or how much of it was proven...

hard scaling and peeling of the scalp might affect growth but the soft flaky type of dandruff should not pose a problem

does the Revivogen make the dandruff better or worse? I'm not familiar with all of the active ingredients

I would go light on the coconut oil at most once week, how hard is it to remove after it reaches room temperature btw? does it get stuck on your scalp & hair?

go dense or go home

No hard scaling as such, if you meant that it is about scratching the scalp and making it fall. Mine is like if i comb or use the fingers gently i could see it coming of. Revivogen reduced it to an extent but not completely.

And i ain't sure if the coconut oil is getting stuck completely but will give a try today. Basically, i am trying to let the scalp not go dry and reduce/eliminate dandruff....both without affecting the growth. I could have the oil applied on a weekly basis

Any other tips/tricks...?

I think you're doing the best you can, except maybe go 1-2 days without washing your hair if possible if your scalp is dry, this will let your normal oils return a little. if not possible at least try on the weekends

my normal oily dandruff has turned dry of late so I've been in a similar situation, the thing that best works for me is showering with just water on as many days as I can. for me dandruff is more of a chemical reaction between sebum/scalp gunk and the shampoo. there are only few shampoos that leave my scalp buildup free, and sometimes my scalp gets used to them and have to try another, pain in the arse LOL

go dense or go home

Almost 2 months post-up...have to fix a meet with Gabel sometime next week.

My scalp is actually an oily one..i guess. For a few hours after shower in the morning, it is dry...but when i arrive home and gently rub the scalp, i could see the fingers to be shiny. Yesterday night, i applied oil before bed and after today's shower, the dandruff was considerably lesser. Felt +ve about it and wanted to see if this can be continued at certain frequency without posing any impact to the growth.

And these days, i wash my hair daily. And hardly one or two hairs fall(be it the sides or from the top) when i comb or in the shower. Is this completely normal though it gives me a great feel...? :)

I wasn't aware Revivogen was still being sold. Not a bad shampoo as far as scent or providing appearance of volume.. I used it for years. But I definitely never felt it had an edge over other volumizing shampoos on the market. As far as dandruff, I personally used to use T-gel / Nizoral / or Head and Shoulders 1-2x a week interchanged with a volumizing shampoo 5x a week. (This is still my regimen).

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

if you have an oily scalp then your dandruff is likely seborrheic dermatitis

usually not a good idea to oil, those such as olive oil can actually make it more itchy and flaky as the yeasts and fungus feed on this, though olive oil is great for literally melting away flakes and scale caused by scalp psoriasis

some say coconut oil is Ok to use.

I actually bought a jar but haven't ever used, seems like it would make your hair greasy all day

isn't it tough to wash out?

go dense or go home

I wasn't aware Revivogen was still being sold. Not a bad shampoo as far as scent or providing appearance of volume.. I used it for years. But I definitely never felt it had an edge over other volumizing shampoos on the market. As far as dandruff, I personally used to use T-gel / Nizoral / or Head and Shoulders 1-2x a week interchanged with a volumizing shampoo 5x a week. (This is still my regimen).

Infact i am also using the Revivogen oil (scalp therapy) too on every day. But when i use H&S i could see the dandruff to be considerably much lesser than compared to Revivogen. But since Dr. Gabel prescribed, i am using it regularly. I know its early for me to expect wonders but wanted to be cautious to see if am taking the right route and not mess with stuffs...

if you have an oily scalp then your dandruff is likely seborrheic dermatitis

usually not a good idea to oil, those such as olive oil can actually make it more itchy and flaky as the yeasts and fungus feed on this, though olive oil is great for literally melting away flakes and scale caused by scalp psoriasis

some say coconut oil is Ok to use.

I actually bought a jar but haven't ever used, seems like it would make your hair greasy all day

isn't it tough to wash out?

Usually i apply the oil some hours before bed and yup..it makes like a shining and slippery scalp. Need to wash it nice and hard, to wipe it out completely in the next day shower.

No wonder they say that the wait is the worst part...!

• 2 weeks later...

Have to get an appointment with Gabel next week...to see how things are shaping up.

2 months and 10 days post-up now...

Just started getting pimples..may be two or three. How do they evolve or what is their lifecycle...?

Some days back I had something similar...one on top centre and one on the front. Currently its like a dried stuff. Not sure if that was really a pimple as such. And is the no. of pimples is an important factor in deciding the growth...?

And some 4 or 5 short "new" hairs are felt in some places that seem to be highly thick and rigid compared to the normal hairs around. I could just feel them with a single finger. Hope this is a good sign...:)

• 2 years later...