HT density

I had my first HT (FUT) done a couple of years ago:2000 Grafts :1500 on the front and 500 on the crown .I was NW 4 at the time of surgery and now progressing to a NW 5, I'm in my thirties.

I saw the doctor after a year to assess the final growth and he told me that was the expected growth for the number of grafts. I wasn't happy with the density as it looks less than 25% of my native hair density and the scalp still shows under the transplanted hair. I'm still dependent on Toppik and I would say that my first surgery would have been useless without Toppik.

The doctor said that he needs at least two surgeries to get the desired density and he cannot achieve density in just one procedure. Also he mentioned that I have the worst combination of hair/scalp color for density: very dark hair on a white skin that shows more the contrast between hair and scalp, that means that men with blond or brown hair and also black men are the best candidates for hair transplant ?

I had my second surgery done very recently : another 2000 grafts to add more density and cover new bald spots but cannot see the results before 12 months.

Now I have a total of 4000 grafts in two surgeries.

Is it true that density can be achieved only in more that just one surgery ?

HT's will never give the full density we had as teenagers nor even the same as our donor area as you know.

That being said, there are some "density kings" in terms of surgeons who are capable of at least producing results with decent density and hair angles where the HT holds up on its own without having to use concealers.

(Konior, Hasson, Rahal etc. come to mind)

Some doctors do like to take a conservative approach, especially with the first procedure, so maybe your doctor is among those.

I agree hair/scalp qualities do matter. However I have mostly pale white scalp with brown hair and my first HT let me wear my hair without ever having to use hairsprays, concealers etc., and my second HT lets me wear my hair combed back and even go out with wet hair (though am going through a small shed now)

How is your progress going with your second procedure btw?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

HT's will never give the full density we had as teenagers nor even the same as our donor area as you know.

That being said, there are some "density kings" in terms of surgeons who are capable of at least producing results with decent density and hair angles where the HT holds up on its own without having to use concealers.

(Konior, Hasson, Rahal etc. come to mind)

Some doctors do like to take a conservative approach, especially with the first procedure, so maybe your doctor is among those.

I agree hair/scalp qualities do matter. However I have mostly pale white scalp with brown hair and my first HT let me wear my hair without ever having to use hairsprays, concealers etc., and my second HT lets me wear my hair combed back and even go out with wet hair (though am going through a small shed now)

How is your progress going with your second procedure btw?

I checked your profile, I think your case is different (NW 2) with a smaller area to cover so your doctor was able to put much more grafts in smaller areas.

In my case I was NW 4 at the time of the surgery ( early thirties) and the doctor was predicting that I will end up NW6 in 10-20 years, now I'm progressing to NW5, so putting the same number of the grafts you had in the same area that you filled would be a suicide as all of the donor hair will be exhausted.

I checked Rahal website and his results posted in forums but I was suspicious as he takes young patients in their early twenties with NW2 and uses half of their donor hair to give them a teenager hairline and even fill the temples which isn't recommended ,I was wondering if he informed them of the risks.I don't feel comfortable with doctors who do risky procedures.

I has my second HT surgery done 2 months ago ,all the grafts have fallen and still waiting to see some growth.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)