Hair Feel Very Dry - Flakes (Hair Falling)

GoPokes

Disclaimer: 1 HT 2 years ago, On Finasteride and Minoxidil daily (Nizoral couple times a week).

About 8 months ago I was first told about flakes from barber. Didn't think much of it, but of course once I knew I saw it more and more. Started to notice more hairs falling from native hair area in crown and dry hair got worse. Talked to HT doctor and he recommended Nizoral so that's when I started that regime. Hair continues to have flakes (so I toyed with different shampoos for a few that were more organic, but no real change)

My hair is still so dry each day it seems and I see lots of hairs coming out when I comb or shower. Scares the crap out of me. Still have decent coverage, but can't tell how long that will last.

Went to dermatologist and they said Nizoral should work as well and gave me a topical too to use a couple weeks ago. Hasn't seemed to help and just looking for answers, as I am a bit freaked. (Especially after havinga HT already and contemplating a second).

Anybody else out there struggle with something similar? Want to get this dry scalp/hair thing down before I go in for a second HT.

Hi it's the Nizoral, see what I wrote in your other post below.

Try to find another dandruff shampoo that is not so harsh.

From my experience it's not the dandruff you have to worry about most but rather a harsh shampoo damaging your follicles.

---------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoPokes

Both my HT dotor and my dermatologist said it was good to use but my scalp is still soooo dry and I don't know why.

Nizoral is good for killing yeast and the fungus on your scalp that cause dandruff, but it will make your scalp dry and also will really dry out your sebaceous glands making your hair brittle. Once it reaches this brittle stage hair will literally just fall out so be careful.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/135193-nizoral-shedding.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I think I'm going to slow down on the Nizoral. I purchased some head and shoulders 2 in 1 with aloe. Hopefully its gentler. Do you think Nizoral every once in a while would work? What are your thoughts on the Nioxin regimine?

I think using Niz 2-3 times in a row to kill the fungus/yeast causing the dandruff would be Ok.

Then once a month as a maintenance. Active ingredient is ketoconazole which is an anti-fungnal.

Certainly would not use it regularly based on my experience.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Yeah, I just hope it's reversible. Feels like I've thinned more than I should have in the past couple months. Read a lot of things that said Nizoral wouldn't do that, but I can't think of anything else that could have. Except that I did switch to Kirkland brand Minox about 6 months ago, now I am switching back to equate brand. Figure it couldn't hurt.

I would agree with hsrp on this one.. he has a lot of experience in this department.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

For hard dandruff don't forget to do a gentle scalp and forehead massage (only if you are already many weeks or months post-op of course!)

I've been doing a scalp and forehead massage recently and anything left on my scalp is just gently falling off and coming clean in the shower. Had been forgetting to do this as I had another small procedure in Feb and had to take a break from it.

go dense or go home