Minoxidil 2% v 5%

Adam9494

I have a couple of short questions in relation to using Minoxidil for hair loss that I hope someone can help me with.

Is using 2% Minoxidil twice daily as effective as using 5% Minoxidil once a day?

I am already experiencing side effects from using the 5% version once a day

is there less chance of having them from using the 2% solution twice a day instead?

As effective increases (i.e. the more effectively its been absorbed and the active ingredient is working) so does the chance of side effects? So if the application of 2% twice daily is likely to work better or as good as then 5% solution once daily the chances of side effects will also be the same or even more likely?

Edited by Adam9494

I don't think there is a definitive answer because there hasn't been a major, credible test between 5% and 2% that I know of but in all liklihood 2% twice a day is more effective than 5% once per day. Can't say for sure how that translates to side effects.

Adam,

I agree with Rootz: the lack of a solid study comparing the efficacy of the 2% and 5% solutions makes this a difficult question to answer. What type of side effects are you experiencing with the 5% treatment? Are you using the liquid or foam solution?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.