Jump to content

FUE (Follicle Unit Extraction) question


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. I have a question about the FUE (Follicle Unit Extraction) method of hair transplantation.


I understand how the follicular unit is inserted with a "Choi Implanter Pen" or "Implanter pen". I understand how it works and I'm okway with it.

But I can't find out anything about the device which is used to collect the follicular units which is used by the implanter pen later on.

What is it called? Where can I learn more about it?

I'd like to know as much as I can about the procedure and the devices used and how they work before deciding what transplantation method to use.

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Senior Member
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I think the best way in FUE is manual punch system. There are some doctors performing FUE by manual punch needles. Extracting and implanting. Thanks to the manual punch system the doctor has the opportunity to choose best conditioned grafts with multiple hairs as needed. and I see the works done by manual punch as an art because as I've searched I see that hairlines are more naturalistic and placement of grafts is much more neat than the works done with the help of motorized devices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information both of you!


I think I have a good understanding now.


1) Hair follicle unit is removed from the skin with a tool called a "punch".

2) Then the unit is insterted to the bald area with a tool called "implanter pen"


Doesn't sounds painful at all now that I learned what each is.


What about the new holes where the extracted follicle will be inserted. How is that hole made? Again with a "punch"?


And there are few questions keep bugging me.

1) "Punch" seems to always cut the same depth, but are hair follicles always the same depth from the surface of the skin? I mean what if it cuts not enough? It might damage that follicle and you might end up with even less hair.


2) Also, in the videos I don't see the doctors doing anything after inserting the graft to its new place. Shouldn't there be some medical superglue applied on the surface to keep them in place? I don't know what's the healing time/ they will connect with the surrounding skin but like this I have this feeling some may be accidentally pulled out.


3) How visible are the scars from boththe extracted and inserted areas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...