Hair transplant on a patient with history of alopecia areata

Does any one know if a person with alopecia areata can have a successful HT when they have history of alopecia areata? Would the transplanted hairs fall off if AA reoccurs, and if they do fall off, would they grow back or would they be gone forever(the transplanted hairs)? I have history of AA, but I haven't had it in 2 years, it appears it has run its course. But the spots that have been affected are two in the hair line, 4-5 other one's on the mid scalp and one in the back in my donor area.

Hi Jimmy,

You will most likely get a mixed reaction when asking this question from various surgeons but the fact of the matter is that AA is unpredictable and although it has been dormant for a couple of years transplanting around these areas could cause it to trigger again. In experience at our clinic the newly transplanted hair grows and can last for several years and then dies. The possible complications of starting off AA again can certainly outweigh any benefit that the transplant might make.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson