So low yet such a difference in looking forward to a procedure.

Hi all, I thought I'd just chime in here with a fairly positive post. (well for me anyway)

As I stated in my blog I've been through a rough time recently. I became a neurotic monster and I lost the best relationship I ever had due to it (and it was all my fault) and yes hair loss was a MASSIVE part of that insecurity.

After breaking down to my family at my lowest point they have agreed to help me fund a hair transplant and even the difference in me now is actually quite staggering.

The more I think about it the more I'm so looking forward to becoming the person I always wanted to see in the mirror. It's scary as well but I know I'll be in good hands (Going to BHR clinic) and it's a double facing of the fears for me as I have a rather bad fear of flying which I'll have to learn to deal with as I'll need to get on a plane for the consultation and the procedure itself.

I've said it before, hair loss should be classified as a source of proper mental trauma. Just because some people deal with it without a thought doesn't mean that everyone can, but I guess the whole spectrum of mental illness is still very much misunderstood and even ignored. A very shocking fact in this day and age.

My point is that the difference that even looking forward to a procedure or treatment can lift one's spirits to amazing levels.

A part of me felt very ashamed and superficial when I was telling my family what i wanted to make me feel better but my mother was so supportive and told me if it makes me happy then do it. "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!" I believe was the words that she used.

I don't want to advise anyone to get in to debt but to be honest if I couldn't get the money one way I would have gone to a loan shark or worse and I still think this feeling would be worth it and I know that I'll feel even better once I see the results of my procedure in full.

There is that tiny voice at the back of my mind saying "What if just after the procedure they discover a pill or injection that makes your natural hair grow back!" That would be a real kick in the teeth but I know that is not going to happen in my lifetime. Also what if I am not happy with the results, what if it doesn't look right, what if the procedure causes my own hair to fall out or what if the grafts don't take? I'm sure these are thoughts that everyone has when they are a first timer.

I'm confident though, I don't have a lot of receding to fill in and the rest of my hair is fine. I am concerned how it will look if I attempt to grow it really long but that's something I can discuss with Dr Bisanga.

Anyway, If you want something, just get it and to hell with the naysayers and worry. Feelings like this don't come along often and although I'll always lament what I've lost due to my hair loss rooted neurosis I'm looking forward to becoming a better person because of it and so should you! :)

Swayze,

Congratulations! It seems like this procedure will make a massive difference. I'm thrilled you were able to make it happen and look forward to following your progress.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the reply's, I'm sure it will make a massive difference.

Johnboy71 I'm going FUE all the way. I know strip scars are virtually undetectable nowadays but still I just don't fancy it.

As for number of grafts, I had a consultation with the Vinci clinic a year or two ago and they quoted me 1500 grafts to get what I wanted but that was quite a heavily lowered hairline and I've become a 'little' more conservative about it these days plus I've heard Dr Bisanga is a genius at getting great results out of fewer grafts so I'm hoping for possibly even 1200-1400 grafts.

Any more than 1600 and it will be hard to fund, even with support from my family and I wouldn't ask them to pay any more than that anyway so I'm praying that it comes out at 1500 or lower to get a good result after my consultation.

I honestly don't think I have much to be filled in and I wouldn't want it super thick anyway just to be age appropriate as long as it covers enough flesh so I'll be quietly confident yet prepared!