Scalp reductions(top) vs. donor area incisions(sides/back)

I read a lot about the healing process involved in the donor area. Mostly numbness, ridging, etc.

I had 3 scalp reductions 14 years ago and there was no tingling, numbness or "ridging" from any of these. In fact, just a couple of days after the surgeries it felt (and looked) like nothing had been done at all to my scalp.

However, after I did a very small HT of 400 grafts from the back of the head, I did experience these effects everyone speaks off. I didn't have any shock loss from the donor area, but I did have the numbness and ridging which took a long time to go away.

Are there a lot more nerves on the sides of the head instead of the top that causes this?

I read a lot about the healing process involved in the donor area. Mostly numbness, ridging, etc.

I had 3 scalp reductions 14 years ago and there was no tingling, numbness or "ridging" from any of these. In fact, just a couple of days after the surgeries it felt (and looked) like nothing had been done at all to my scalp.

However, after I did a very small HT of 400 grafts from the back of the head, I did experience these effects everyone speaks off. I didn't have any shock loss from the donor area, but I did have the numbness and ridging which took a long time to go away.

Are there a lot more nerves on the sides of the head instead of the top that causes this?

Scalp reductions are an interesting concept. I learned and did these during my fellowship in the mid90s; but I don't know anyone who offers them nowadays. My best guess is that people are very worried about the potential scarring complications and insurers don't want to cover these. I don't recall if my carrier had a problem with scalp reductions (which I don't offer at this point), but I know that I had to answer questions on it. Interestingly, as a facial plastic surgeon, I remove large lesions and cancers from the scalp using exactly the same technique as scalp reduction. By and large, the scalp is forgiving as long as wound tension is kept within reason. Meaning that I think that where scalp reductions got a bad name were from some docs trying to get "all" of the baldness in one procedure and winding up with disfiguring scars. Had everyone used a more moderate philosophy, I suspect that they would still be offered.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Oh scalp reductions and "lifts" are still being done and done poorly, just like HT's are being done poorly.

Sounds like severn got lucky and ended up with a solid result---sorry to hear about your numbness----over time there are those who report that the feeling goes away. I hope this is true for you!

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Well, the final reduction was messy. The doc must have tried to take too much out because I bled like a stuck pig for weeks, had a widened scar, and a subdural hematoma develop.

The numbness from the donor area went away. But it *seems* that removal of tissue in a scalp reduction should feel and look the same as removing it from the donor area. But it's quite different from my experience and from what I've read on here.