Extreme stress and hair loss

Over the last 6 weeks I have undergone a lot of stress due to a personal situation. I have shed a tremendous amount of hair, more then ever before. I've basically thinned out near my crown over this short time period whereas prior to the stress my crown was full. I also feel like I am losing hair from my donor areas as the hair on the side of my head also seems to be losing a smaller amount of hair and the texture is changing as well.

I have read here that this may reverse itself if the stress decreases. My question is if anyone knows if this hair that has shed was programmed to shed anyway.

I have a consultation with Dr. Konior to discuss refining my hairline and removing the micrografts and replacing them with single units.

Also, I was told by someone that in cases of extreme stress or depression that the bodies magnesium levels decrease which affects hair loss. So would it be helpful to take magnesium supplements? Can anyone comment on this?

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Over the last 6 weeks I have undergone a lot of stress due to a personal situation. I have shed a tremendous amount of hair, more then ever before. I've basically thinned out near my crown over this short time period whereas prior to the stress my crown was full. I also feel like I am losing hair from my donor areas as the hair on the side of my head also seems to be losing a smaller amount of hair and the texture is changing as well.

I have read here that this may reverse itself if the stress decreases. My question is if anyone knows if this hair that has shed was programmed to shed anyway.

I have a consultation with Dr. Konior to discuss refining my hairline and removing the micrografts and replacing them with single units.

Also, I was told by someone that in cases of extreme stress or depression that the bodies magnesium levels decrease which affects hair loss. So would it be helpful to take magnesium supplements? Can anyone comment on this?

Shyguy,

I am confused. Do you have MPB or do you have stress-induced hair loss?

You mention:

which would indicate you suffer from MPB.

So if you have MPB, why would you think your hairloss was stress induced and not progressive balding?

If you suffer from MPB, you have to get on finasteride and minoxidil.

Magnesium won't help you.

If your hair loss is stress induced, you have to reduce the stress in your life and allow the body to recuperate, together with minerals/vitamins and allow time to regrow your lost hair.

take care...

sorry if i wasn't clear.

i had multiple sessions from 1993-1994. at the time mini and micro grafts were the rage. fast forward to today and i am considering having dr konior remove some micro grafts from my hairline to refine the appearance.

i had a consult with him less then one year ago and he suggested i needed about 600 grafts to get a nice result. mind you, i still had all my hair at the crown

i've been shedding a little for a year but in the last six weeks since the extremee stress started it has accelerated tremendously. i also get about 4 hours of sleep each night since the stress started. some stresses can't be controlled but i am trying to deal with this as best i can.

i have been taking propecia since 1997 and have rogain foan which i got for my hairline. in reading about stress and hair loss i found that when depressed your magnesium levels decrease which affects hair loss. this is what i wanted to know more about.

thanks for your insight.