side effects of finasteride

saudbs

Hi All

I am thinking for hair transplant soon and I heard I will have to take finasteride after surgery.

Can anyone please tell me side effect of finasteride?

What if I just go for surgery but dont take finasteride?

If I take finasteride for 3 months and stop it, I heard process starts to reverse? mean I will loose more hair?

Thanks,:confused:

The most common ones are sexual, including lessened libido and inability to get an erection same as prior to taking the medicine and groin pain.

A full list is here from the Mayo clinic.

Finasteride (Oral Route): Side effects - MayoClinic.com

Some people also shed hair while on Fin especially first three months.

But seems each person reacts differently, and you may or may not experience them.

An alternative to every day dosage is Mon Wed Fri, if you start to develop any sides.

I simply jumped on Fin at the recommendation of my first HT procedure surgeon, while I have no life damaging side effects, I wish I would've researched more. This is a serious drug.

Btw if you can handle any sides that may result, most recommend staying on Fin for good or bad for at least one year to see how you respond to it (not recommended to take just 3 months).

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks for reply hsrp10 :)

If i take it for 1 years and then leave it then my sexual health will be back to normal? or it is effected for whole life?

Also FUT is good or FUE? whats the minimum size I can go for haircut with FUT?

Edited by saudbs

That is a tricky question, from reading Propecia help . com and other info there is a chance of permanent side effects from Finasteride that may be irreversible.

So make sure to do some advanced research online and consult with your doctor before starting. I stopped six months ago and luckily I never experienced any severe sides.

My sides were oily scalp, watery sperm and occasional shedding, and my sperm become thicker again after stopping.

I like FUT with the prominent North American surgeons for world class results and success, but FUE is getting better in terms of yield and price. It depends on how many grafts you need and if you need to wear your hair very short in the back. European fue doctors are doing some really good work these days.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

I started taking finasteride over a year ago, I went to my family doctor and asked him what I could do for hair falling out. It was just a casual question, without doing any research or anything. He recommended finasteride. Honestly I had never asked ab side affects or anything. Never crossed my mind that it could have side affects until I joined this site and saw everyones comments about it. It has really helped me. I would definitely give it a try regardless of the side affects if you wanna try to preserve your current hair. I no longer see multiple hairs in the sink. Well, That is before my hair transplant. Now im experiencing shockloss from the ht

I did not have any sexual sides while on it luckily, actually my libido increased and I became a fxing machine LOL!

My sides were greasy scalp and sebum plugs, watery sperm and random shedding and also mood swings.

And yes this was even after changing to taking every other day.

I recently had the HairDX Genetic test done which tells your level of MPB and also how well finasteride will work as a treatment.

As some of my hairloss over the years up until my first HT was due to seborrheic dermatitis/scalp psoriasis and not really treating it, I'm trying to make sure before restarting. I have been off Fin for around 6 months now.

go dense or go home

man about that scalp, mine is really bad! Even after washing with keto i have to really use force with my nails to get some of the shit that is sticked upon my scalp to fall of?! How are you supposed to treat seborrheic?

I'm currently using Kerium DS anti-dandruff intensive shampoo (made by La Roche Posay) 1-2 times week, active ingredients are salicylic acid, piroctone olamine and citric acid etc.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172834-kerium-ds-shampoo.html

Nizoral can fry your hair so don't overuse it, but it had worked as well at least for improved scalp appearance (use only once or twice a week at most ! ).

I've found that except for the above Kerium shampoo, no matter what shampoo I use it will always leave a residue or buildup in my scalp. So I now wash with water only as many days as I can and then the Kerium shampoo 1-2 times week. This has lead to steady scalp improvement.

I use extremely high water pressure from the shower to remove any sticky dandruff or buildup.

For really bad areas I sometimes use betamethasone valerate lotion prescribed by my dermatologist if there are any hard scaly areas.

Try not to use your nails, use the pads of your fingers instead for any scalp rubbing btw.

Some people also recommend apple cider vinegar rinse diluted with 1/4 water or even lemon juice to remove the scalp buildup. I have tried these but the first one smells bad and the second will make your hair sticky.

go dense or go home

• 4 weeks later...
I'm currently using Kerium DS anti-dandruff intensive shampoo (made by La Roche Posay) 1-2 times week, active ingredients are salicylic acid, piroctone olamine and citric acid etc.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172834-kerium-ds-shampoo.html

Nizoral can fry your hair so don't overuse it, but it had worked as well at least for improved scalp appearance (use only once or twice a week at most ! ).

I've found that except for the above Kerium shampoo, no matter what shampoo I use it will always leave a residue or buildup in my scalp. So I now wash with water only as many days as I can and then the Kerium shampoo 1-2 times week. This has lead to steady scalp improvement.

I use extremely high water pressure from the shower to remove any sticky dandruff or buildup.

For really bad areas I sometimes use betamethasone valerate lotion prescribed by my dermatologist if there are any hard scaly areas.

Try not to use your nails, use the pads of your fingers instead for any scalp rubbing btw.

Some people also recommend apple cider vinegar rinse diluted with 1/4 water or even lemon juice to remove the scalp buildup. I have tried these but the first one smells bad and the second will make your hair sticky.

interesting advice. I agree about nizoral also