Scar Revision & Future Planning

I’m looking for a little bit of guidance for my hair restoration journey…

I have had two prior FUT procedures. I just turned 26 yrs old and I am a NW5 with signs of progressing to NW6.

My first procedure of 2,500 grafts left me with a very acceptable fine scar, but the second procedure of 2,400 grafts has left me with a very unacceptable scar aprox. 1cm in width. The widest points are on the sides right behind and above the ears. (see pictures). I am in search of my next step which is most likely a scar revision. Two surgeons have told me my scalp is flexible even after two surgeries so I have some donor reserves left for some future grafting via FUT or FUE. I've been told aprox. 500 FUE grafts would camouflage the scar but I believe that number is too low for adequate coverage and a waste of donor at my age and situation. I would much rather attempt to do an revision first, trying to get some grafts with the revision (if possible) and not too risky OR just going for a revision and obtaining a greater number of grafts at a later date via FUT again OR maybe FUE exclusively if my scar turns out acceptable.

Another question: Am I at too much risk undergoing procedures at the younger age of 26 even though my progression is already at the NW5, fringing on the NW6 with my miniaturization pattern around the fringes? The only good thing is I have acceptable donor hair, guessing around the 8,000 FU range. I’m not a 19 yr. old with receding temples wanting a 2,000 graft hairline reconstruction. I was told I would need another 2,000 grafts to make an acceptable difference in the crown, but I'm hesitant to even entertain that amount of grafts in that crown region at this time.

I'm contemplating starting Rogaine foam to see where that takes me. Hopefully it can regrow some in the crown and hold me for a few more yrs. If I can get 100 grafts out of the scar during the revision, I’m thinking of placing those in the hairline area to refine naturalness. I also plan on being a bit more careful post to give the best chance of healing with fine scar.

I have surgeons recommending more grafts to add density since I have such a high NW level and I have pretty good donor, then I have common sense telling me not to be really really careful in listening to the recommendations.

My level of baldness would be acceptable at about 35-40 yrs of age, but not at the age of 26. I want the best result now, but I don't want to do it at the risk of exhausing donor for the future. Techniques are always changing. I'm running into the major problem of the future WHAT IF?

All opinions welcome...

5b32db9fd0efd_Scar1.jpg.c50d47642c6a73fdcc0e4aa4b1251494.jpg

5b32dba003192_Scar1.jpeg.31b30b5f9d2171e2a210993c3fc884d7.jpeg

Hi Ropain,

Because you're seeking scar revision and additional grafts, a third strip procedure seems appropriate. I think consulting with multiple surgeons (which it seems like you're doing) is a good idea. It seems like the consensus is an additional strip procedure to harvest some additional grafts and revise the scar.

While you should confirm the use with the doctor, Rogaine (minoxidil) is a proven preventive medication and would likely help you stabilize and partially restore your scalp.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

That is a nasty scar indeed. If you must attempt a scar revision, I personally would only revise the scar and not extract additional grafts. The wider the strip, the bigger the chance of stretchback. Trying to harvest more hair with the revision only increases the chance of the scar stretching. I would try a revision to resolve the scar issue and then see where things are at.

Mickey,

Good point. Definitely something to take into consideration and discuss with the surgeon.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.