Hair transplant ... A few questions

Good evening

I have been lurking for some time posting the odd question here and there

I have now decided I will take the plunge for a fue transplant but have a few questions .

I am trying to hold out for as long as possible , maybe waiting for the doubling technique to be perfected , are we close to getting anywhere ?

I know some surgeons use body hair transplants ? I was wondering how advisable this is ? I shave most of my body hair so I would defiantly be willing to give it up .

How do we stand if some of the big companies release a hair loss product that works ? Will it effect out transplanted area ?

What is the transplanted density actually like ? Is this all about aesthetics ?

thomson653,

I try to answer what i can...

• I am trying to hold out for as long as possible , maybe waiting for the doubling technique to be perfected , are we close to getting anywhere ?

Advances are being made in this area but unfortunately, no one knows when this procedure will become available to the public or what it will cost.

• I know some surgeons use body hair transplants ? I was wondering how advisable this is ? I shave most of my body hair so I would defiantly be willing to give it up .

For some patients, body hair offers a viable solution to supplement low donor supply. However, it's typically the last resort and should only be performed by surgeons with a lot of BHT experience.
is one such physician.

• How do we stand if some of the big companies release a hair loss product that works ? Will it effect out transplanted area ?

Again, no one can answer this question because I'm sure it would rely to some degree on the nature of the hair growth product/procedure, the details of the patient's hair transplant and the individual's physiology. However, I've always felt that most hair transplant patients will likely be able to take advantage of future hair growth breakthroughs.

• What is the transplanted density actually like ? Is this all about aesthetics ?

The typical hair transplant density is about 50% of natural density. This is all we really need to achieve a full appearance. Hair restoration is about creating the "illusion of density". While some take issue with this term, it really just means that the physician combines science with art when designing and placing the grafts in order to create the fullest appearance possible.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website