propecia.........

I have been taking propecia for approximatly 1yr now and I still feel that my hair is still thinning out. I have read other posts on this site where some people are taking 1.25 or 1.5mgs propecia a day. Do some people do this because they have a higher body weight or are advised by their doctor? I am currently somewhere between 210-215lbs, 5-10 and am 26yrs old. I have also begun to take minoxidil for my crown area. My goal is to maintain what I have left and possibly receive a HT. Any advice would be well appreciated.....

I have been taking propecia for approximatly 1yr now and I still feel that my hair is still thinning out. I have read other posts on this site where some people are taking 1.25 or 1.5mgs propecia a day. Do some people do this because they have a higher body weight or are advised by their doctor? I am currently somewhere between 210-215lbs, 5-10 and am 26yrs old. I have also begun to take minoxidil for my crown area. My goal is to maintain what I have left and possibly receive a HT. Any advice would be well appreciated.....

Mr.T/ I have seen your thread on your hair loss and also saw your pics. Their amazing. I've read so many posts on this site and can't remember if you were the 1 that said they got their dermatoligist to perscribe proscar for you because it was covered under your health insurance. I know that propecia isn't covered under mine either.Proscar and propecia are both just finasteride. (correct?) I actually have enough money saved for a HT but I have read that some people think I should wait because of my age and how my hair loss could progress. Thanks for the help.

Propecia and proscar are both Finasteride, yes. If you were a little older it might be easier to get a prescription for Proscar. Older guys than you might use Proscar for their prostate health. In other words it may be hard to get your doc to write a prescription for Proscar if you are in your 20s and have hair loss. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

The main reason to use Proscar is to save money, but you said you've saved enough money for a surgery. Propecia is about 600 bucks a year, Proscar is about half or a quarter of that price. You can probably afford Propecia, if you want to increase your dose then get on Proscar, but supposedly according to Merck, Finasteride is not dose-dependant, and all you do is raise your odds of side effects slightly when you raise your dose. Some guys do think it can be dose dependant but they are in the minority. Discuss this with your doctor.

You might not be too young for a hair transplant, but it is possible you still have too much hair to make a transplant make sense. (Post a pic if you want). You should really have a significant amount of hair loss, and not just be in the beginning stages. If you still have a lot of hair left, you can be hit hard by shock loss from surgery, and end up with less hair after the surgery (or the same amount) instead of making a net gain. If people told you your pattern of loss is an issue, then I would listen and take that seriously.

Some guys use transplants as a reaction to future hair loss. They say "I'm not bad now but I want a transplant so that I don't get any worse". Those guys are usually making a big mistake if they get a hair transplant, in my opinion.

i do have the money for surgery but if you can save on the propecia then i'd like to if possible. i think i read on this site some where, that a hair transplant surgery could possibly kill other hair follicles or fasten your hair loss where you've already begun to lose hair. is that true or am i way off? i just hate how i'm looked at by some people because i'm starting to lose my hair. and then you get the !*#@ holes out there that make comments about it. i've been really losing confidence in myself over the past few yrs. if something can be done i want to do it before i'm completely bald.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>i think i read on this site some where, that a hair transplant surgery could possibly kill other hair follicles or fasten your hair loss where you've already begun to lose hair. is that true or am i way off?

Its called shock loss or shock fallout.

if you have hairs that are borderline, the surgery can possibly cause those hairs to be lost. Some guys have a problem with shock loss and some guys don't. But you need to be aware of the possibility. The worst case would be that you end up with less hair after your transplant, than you had beforehand.

The typical recommendation is that a guy should have more than just a minor amount hair loss, and he should get a fairly large number of grafts transplanted (probably more than just a couple hundred)... that way he is most likely end up with a net gain of hair and not a net loss, after the dust settles.

i just don't know what to do because i do have a limited amount of donor hair and i don't want to get a ht and end up with the same problem or less hair. maybe i'll look into that hair club for men bullshit. hopefully it looks real. what are some good sites to buy your perscriptions over the net? canada? once again thanks for all the help bro.

i want to put my pics out there for you guys to see but i don't wanna get flamed for people saying i would die to have that much hair. but then again it would be good to have your guys feedback. if i took the pics i wanna edit it so you can't see my face. give me a little time and i'll do it. can you go over to a pharmacy in canada without a perscription? later t......

Mr. T,

is there a difference between the proscar and the propecia? this is the first i've heard of proscar and know nothing about it, if you could inform me i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Mr. T,

is there a difference between the proscar and the propecia? this is the first i've heard of proscar and know nothing about it, if you could inform me i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Young - proscar is the same as propecia...only proscar has four times the dosage as a propecia pill....simply go with the proscar..cut it in quarters.....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???