Is dormant hair follicle visible?

Gubaoyou

I am 2 weeks post FUT and I have noticed a bald area on my right hairline. It looks and feels so bald that I am afraid there is nothing in there. Could there be any invisible dormant follicles hiding under the skin? Are dormant hair follicles supposed to be visible or invisible? Thank you!

No, if the hair has fully exited the follicle.

But saying that, I have seen magnified slides where the doc points out a vacant shaft within a follicle with growing hairs.

But other than that, I have read and heard that dormant hairs are invisible to the cutters. The fast working techs sitting on their microscopes working to a time-line.

I'm 3+ months into my hairline procedure (900 grafts) and have the same concern - on my right side above temple region there is an area that seems completely bald while there is visible hair shading below it. This was always my biggest fear of a small graft procedure -that being a bald spot BEHIND the hairline. I've called Dr. Keene's office and they told me it's far too early for any real growth and anything that's showing now I should consider lucky -does this sound right?

I've tried taking picture of it to show here but to be honest it just doesn't show up - but in person it is visible. In my mind it's HUGE but in reality it's probably an 1/8 the size of a dime. My hair characteristics are of mixed ethnicity (black/white) so parts of my hair are straighter -namely the back and sides while the top and front have always had that sort of frizzy/curly 'pomp' look to it. So maybe it will be hidden under my mini front fro but it still has me really worried.

im having the same prob and i kinda noticed it from day 1, that there were less grafts on my left side, and right now, im at 3 months 1 week its pretty evident that the left side will be much weaker

My right side feels weaker than my left side when I touch them but I will try not to be too concerned about it as long as i can make myself believe that there could be some invisible dormant follicles hiding under my scalp. I compared your photos and I saw you got noticeable progress from month 2 to month 3. Your hair looks denser and thicker and most importantly your hairline is comeing back! And to my untrained and sleepy eyes your left side doesn't look weaker than your right side. You can say that it's your hair so I don't give a damn but I can tell you that i looked back and forth, zoomed in and zoomed out and my sleepy eyes were wild open :eek:

No, if the hair has fully exited the follicle.

But saying that, I have seen magnified slides where the doc points out a vacant shaft within a follicle with growing hairs.

But other than that, I have read and heard that dormant hairs are invisible to the cutters. The fast working techs sitting on their microscopes working to a time-line.

Thank you for making me believe that there could be some invisible follicles hiding under the bald area. Thank you! For keeping me from trying to turn the mirror into a microscope!

I'm 3+ months into my hairline procedure (900 grafts)...on my right side above temple region there is an area that seems completely bald while there is visible hair shading below it....Dr. Keene....told me it's far too early for any real growth....does this sound right?

He's telling you a little white lie IMO, and no harm done, fingers crossed.

It isn't too early for growth, otherwise you wouldn't have noticed the discrepancy in the first place. I can say from experience, I once had a 'hole' in and just behind my hairline, that I obsessed about, and sent the doc plenty of pics and it was panic. Doc said chill, and sure enough, it inexplicably filled out, just as fast as it disappeared. I have no idea what happened, but one thing stood out. It was indented, as if their was a vacuum under which sunk the skin into a crevice. I speculated it was a case of too much anesthetic which caused pressure to crush an area, then when it drained out, it constricted everything. I still have no idea, but it was scarey.

As for behind the temples, I've always lost hair behind the temples after every procedure so there has always been a weak patch behind what ever they plant, an that doesn't grow back, but this happened on both sides and is either or both, permanent shock loss caused by incisions that have to made at flat angles for temples, or just weak hair.

Overall, I'd say, seeming it s one side, you'll be OK. Is it also sunken?

No sunken effect at all -and yes, it's just the one side. I generally use Toppik to sort of 'fill 'the front' a bit until more hair grows in but in that one spot I definitely have to use a little more and 'fill the hole'. The other thing is I fight a lot of hormone related problems so my hair quality really varies from day to da -some days my hair looks pretty damn good and healthy with much more volume and strength while other 'bad hair days' I'll get some shedding up front and top and the overall quality of my hair just sucks in which Toppik is required. The bad hair days also seem to effect the quality of all my hair - not just the at risk area.

Anyways, big thanks man! Your post gave me a lot of relief and Im gonna just chill for another month at least before I call the torch bearing boys.