Has the Norwood 7 Level many sub-levels?

This is something I never really get. It seems it varies from person to person whenever I talk about hair loss.

What exactly means Norwood 7?

So how does this exactly work?

Are all of them NW7? Shouldn't exist a NW8 level? The first man I've showed is totally bald and has a very small donor area and it seems like it should be a NW8 or something.

That's what I really never get: in the NW scale NW7 means the side hair and the back hair areas need to be extremely small or is it irrelevant to the NW7 level and only refers to being totally bald?

:confused::confused::confused:

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
removed outside links

Hi Tony,

Just a quick reminder that, in general, outside links are not permitted on the forums.

Having said that:

NW 7 is actually not a typical hair loss pattern. A NW 7 means that an individual is actually experiencing recession in the universal donor region. The follicles in the safe zone are supposed to be highly resistant to DHT, so these individuals, for some reason, have follicles in that region (usually on the fringes of the occipital and temporal scalp) which are still susceptible to the balding hormone. Frankly, the vast majority of men who truly "go bald" (as society defines it) really reach a NW 6 pattern. This pattern represents a male who has essentially lost all hair aside from the permanent donor region, but is experiencing no thinning in the safe zone itself.

Hope this clarifies!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Tony,

Just a quick reminder that, in general, outside links are not permitted on the forums.

Having said that:

NW 7 is actually not a typical hair loss pattern. A NW 7 means that an individual is actually experiencing recession in the universal donor region. The follicles in the safe zone are supposed to be highly resistant to DHT, so these individuals, for some reason, have follicles in that region (usually on the fringes of the occipital and temporal scalp) which are still susceptible to the balding hormone. Frankly, the vast majority of men who truly "go bald" (as society defines it) really reach a NW 6 pattern. This pattern represents a male who has essentially lost all hair aside from the permanent donor region, but is experiencing no thinning in the safe zone itself.

Hope this clarifies!

Thanks for the response!

Well, so I can't post anything outside of this forum? Even articles talking about HTs or hair loss? It's more difficult to show my point then. :)

About this: so basically NW7 is quiet unusual...

But isn't this debated amoung doctors? I mean, the doctor who made my FUE sessions and my trycologyst stated I have NW 5 but I can reach NW7, however they stated my donor area is excellent.

So this made me extremely nervous and I was in panic. So I asked to my trycologyst if I can reach the NW7 pictures from the NW scale or if I can turn to be like the first man I've put in this topic in my first 2 pictures.

The Trycologyst said hell no, he explained to me that my hair loss pattern already has been defined (I'm 30 years old) and it's not gonna change.

And my pattern is nothing like NW7, it's more like NW5-6. I have a lot of hair in my donor area and my balding pattern is similar to the one from my own father which has a lot of hair in the donor area.

So then I asked to the trycologyst if NW7 means having only this amount of hair (how can I put an omage in this forum?):

http://www.greathairtransplants.com/images/norwood/norwood12.jpg

He said no, that NW7 is just being totally bald.

So it seems that the concept of NW7 varies from doctor to doctor, right?

I have A LOT of hair in my fringe, sides and in my back hair, and my crown balding pattern is way smaller than the one which is displayed in the NW7 scale images.

:D

So basically NW6 is NW7 to many doctors and people?