Concealing a Frontal Hairline Transplant?

Hi all,

Finally made an account and had to ask this, as I have an appointment with Dr. Rahal a couple months from now... Super Nervous!! :x

Asides from that, a quick question...

I am having the procedure done 8 days before I begin classes at my university - at which I have a reputation that I have to uphold for political purposes (not to be vain... but why are we all here, right? :P). I don't receive tons of face-time with my class, by any means; but, I will have interactions with several important people as well as go through interviews a couple weeks after.

My hairline looks like below. I am leveling the hairline at it's current base as that's where it was when I was younger. I'm not having any existing follicles or hair altered or reinforced as it has not lost much (if any) density and I don't want to risk any shock.

How hard will it be to conceal the fact that work was done with my hair behind it? I mean, I cover the recession right now with my hairstyle (also posted), but will it be harder or any different? I'm just not sure how noticeable it will be.

Lastly... Did I choose a good doctor for my situation? Any confidence instilled is most appreciated. :)

Thank you!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=46749&stc=1&d=1373518305

attachment.php?attachmentid=46750&d=1373518288

attachment.php?attachmentid=46751&d=1373518303

1.jpg.baff49234dea5402384530b69585004e.jpg

2.jpg.a4ee1ae73d272a636c94395103f670cd.jpg

3.jpg.2bf0a38bdd96743c99c870c72b13e982.jpg

Edited by jwjwjw87

What type of hair transplant procedure? Strip method or FUE? I think in either case 8 days is cutting it close in terms of recovery if you are going for the "nobody will be the wiser" stratagem, but it is do-able. Your swelling will likely be minimal at that point, but there's probably going to be some redness lingering around in the transplant area that might be difficult to fully conceal without a hat.

There's also the issue of the donor area being cut short and/or shaved. Again, the extent of this depends on your type of procedure and your doctor, but assuming you leave your hair long on top, you might have to start rocking the "short-sides-and-back but long on top" look that - thankfully - seems to be kind of trendy in certain circles at the moment. :)

When I had my procedure done (FUE, 2000 grafts) they left the top of my hair at a normal length and shaved the donor area down to almost the skin. I spent the next week recovering and generally taking it easy (vacation time from work!), then decided I'd comb my hair down in front over the transplanted area at the hairline to hide the lingering redness and obvious HT grafts. It actually worked surprisingly well, and the only comments I got were about the "new short haircut". Nobody seemed to notice my donor area marks or saw the work on my hairline (or if they did, they kept their mouth shut, which knowing the people I work with, it's unlikely they suddenly gained that much tact). :)

What type of hair transplant procedure? Strip method or FUE? I think in either case 8 days is cutting it close in terms of recovery if you are going for the "nobody will be the wiser" stratagem, but it is do-able. Your swelling will likely be minimal at that point, but there's probably going to be some redness lingering around in the transplant area that might be difficult to fully conceal without a hat.

There's also the issue of the donor area being cut short and/or shaved. Again, the extent of this depends on your type of procedure and your doctor, but assuming you leave your hair long on top, you might have to start rocking the "short-sides-and-back but long on top" look that - thankfully - seems to be kind of trendy in certain circles at the moment. :)

When I had my procedure done (FUE, 2000 grafts) they left the top of my hair at a normal length and shaved the donor area down to almost the skin. I spent the next week recovering and generally taking it easy (vacation time from work!), then decided I'd comb my hair down in front over the transplanted area at the hairline to hide the lingering redness and obvious HT grafts. It actually worked surprisingly well, and the only comments I got were about the "new short haircut". Nobody seemed to notice my donor area marks or saw the work on my hairline (or if they did, they kept their mouth shut, which knowing the people I work with, it's unlikely they suddenly gained that much tact). :)

Very helpful, thanks! Most people are used to my hair looking intentionally jacked up, so styling etc I can do what it takes.

According to Rahal's assessment, I can do either. FUE is double the cost, but other than that I haven't evaluated. Isn't everyone able to choose either FUT or FUE, though? I've done some research, but opinions are valued. Cost isn't a decider - I just want quality and discretion. It will be 1500 grafts.

Thanks again!

According to Rahal's assessment, I can do either. FUE is double the cost, but other than that I haven't evaluated. Isn't everyone able to choose either FUT or FUE, though? I've done some research, but opinions are valued. Cost isn't a decider - I just want quality and discretion. It will be 1500 grafts.

Looking at your pictures I don't think you need a hair transplant right now. I think you should at least postpone your procedure and really take a good look at the posts on this forum. You will find that you might be going into something that could make things worse in the long run for you (ie. multiple procedures etc.). You should not by any means rush into this.

Just my opinion. M.

Looking at your pictures I don't think you need a hair transplant right now. I think you should at least postpone your procedure and really take a good look at the posts on this forum. You will find that you might be going into something that could make things worse in the long run for you (ie. multiple procedures etc.). You should not by any means rush into this.

Just my opinion. M.

I've definitely thought about this for the last two years or so as I've watched my hairline recede further. While I'm aware that I'll have to do additional procedures in the future for further recession, etc. I'm not a person who lacks confidence, typically... but I seriously hate the fact that I've lost a lot of my hairline.

Considering I'm not planning on impacting my native hair, that should alleviate most of the concerns, right? What else do you feel is a call for warning?

Lastly... From what I've read, Dr Rahal seems pretty reputable in terms of doing procedures on patients that would be good recipients as to avoid complications and such. I'm not naive by any means in realization that it's business and his end-motive is money... But... He did approve moving forward and placed me on the NW2 scale. I suppose that's where his reputation could come into play?

Thank you for your advice.

Edited by jwjwjw87

Considering I'm not planning on impacting my native hair, that should alleviate most of the concerns, right? What else do you feel is a call for warning?

Well the problem is that you most likely will lose more hair in the future and it will be BEHIND the transplant so you will be needing another procedure, and on, and on.

Are you taking Propecia?

How old are you?

If you do go through with it and money is not a problem I'd go for FUE to avoid a possible scar complications.

Are you talking about the donor area or recipient? With your amount of hair you should be able to cover it up pretty well although I had FUT so don't know about the FUE shave down.

Although I have wavier hair and slightly more advanced recession than yours, I did the similar thing and grew the area right around my receding temples longer so I could create the illusion that is was full in that area. It became harder and harder so finally had the job done (hairline) and no one that I didn't tell ever suspected a thing. I was back instructing classes with all eyes on me 7 days after the procedure though some days I did wear hat -moreso after shedding.

Best of luck, looks like you picked a quality Doc.

My hairline was very similar to yours. I went to work after 1 week and nobody knew. Covered the HT with my native hair messy and forward.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Well the problem is that you most likely will lose more hair in the future and it will be BEHIND the transplant so you will be needing another procedure, and on, and on.

Are you taking Propecia?

How old are you?

If you do go through with it and money is not a problem I'd go for FUE to avoid a possible scar complications.

Yeah, I expected that as well.

I'm not on Propecia. I tried it before but was on other medication for part of the time. I'm almost positive that it was the Propecia that caused it; but, my libido was shot for the entire time I was on it. If I don't "want" to have sex, it kinda defeats the purpose of the medication.

I'm VERY torn at this point now, though. I just received an email from Hasson and Wong whom I emailed my information and form to a few days ago, and they actually denied me of a transplant saying although they saw a bit of thinning in the crown and behind the hairline it doesn't justify a surgery.

But... why would Rahal classify me as a NW2 and say that I'm a candidate? He also isn't going to talk to me until the day of surgery, apparently... because I asked if I could speak to him beforehand to get a better understanding of the process and my candidacy.

I don't know what to do. I'd love nothing more than to have this off of my mind and have confidence that my hairline doesn't look bad. I've been on the fence about it for the last two-three years and finally jumped on it since I have the money. I need to process payment by tomorrow if I'm going to do it.

Are you talking about the donor area or recipient? With your amount of hair you should be able to cover it up pretty well although I had FUT so don't know about the FUE shave down.

Although I have wavier hair and slightly more advanced recession than yours, I did the similar thing and grew the area right around my receding temples longer so I could create the illusion that is was full in that area. It became harder and harder so finally had the job done (hairline) and no one that I didn't tell ever suspected a thing. I was back instructing classes with all eyes on me 7 days after the procedure though some days I did wear hat -moreso after shedding.

Best of luck, looks like you picked a quality Doc.

Thank you for your reply! Did you thicken the density of your existing hair or simply refortify the areas that had receded?

Are you satisfied with the results or do you think you should have waited longer?

My hairline was very similar to yours. I went to work after 1 week and nobody knew. Covered the HT with my native hair messy and forward.

Thank you! How long ago did you do this? Since Hasson and Wong denied me, I'm very hesitant at this point... are you satisfied with the results or do you wish you waited longer?

If you are that unsure at this point then you should take more time. If one doctor denied you then you shouldn't disregard their expertise.

Appreciate that, and that's where I'm torn. Hope to hear back from the others on their opinion, too.

If you are that unsure at this point then you should take more time. If one doctor denied you then you shouldn't disregard their expertise.

Agreed. No reason to rush if all the pieces aren't in line.

The doctors will still be here in 6 months/a year, and you'll have more info and wont feel rushed.

Thank you for your reply! Did you thicken the density of your existing hair or simply refortify the areas that had receded?

Are you satisfied with the results or do you think you should have waited longer?

Pretty much just fortified the receded areas at 900 grafts. I would have liked for the doctor to have feathered a little more into the tuft but she said it could cause shock loss as the hair there looked too strong -not to me lol!

I'm just at my 3rd month and I'm happy because even just the dark shading helps to even the hairline as before, I already have a long forhead and that widows peak was looking pretty bad on me.

As per waiting longer -no, but I'm 42 and had probably been able to keep my thinning pretty well hidden by the aforementioned tricks, but in the last year or two, had gotten some pretty mean ass comments (1 from complete stranger about Rogaine -lol) and finally had to admit that my days of trickery were over. So in my case, I should have done it about 4-5 years ago.

Looking again at your pics, it's a hard call. Your first pic -your hairline looks totally fine and I wouldn't consider it now. The lower one you can see a slight dig on the left hand side (your right) but it's nothing terrible. At what rate is your hair coming out? If pretty rapid, I would probably go ahead with the procedure -are you on any meds for it?

Are you taking Propecia?

How old are you?

Magnum, that is true, that is why it is best to see an honest doctor. You are the perfect example of someone who would have had a great run out of an HT. You are not bad advanced and if you would have gotten an HT 10 years ago (with today's practices) it would still look good.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Man, it's a hard call, because I respect Hasson and Wong so much. I would PM Jotrinic and ask him what his thoughts are based on the pictures you sent him. He won't lead you astray. You have a good hairline to transplant into, meaning it does not look like it is too low. There may be some discrepancy of the expectations that you expressed to them. I got mine a year ago and I am 8 years older than you, so I had a 7 year jump on you.

Do I regret it? No. However, I will have to have another procedure at some point because hair loss is progressive, but it does feel great to walk around with a full head of hair.

Your hair line seems a tad higher than mine, and that is a good thing. It puts you in a good place for the future. My advice is to try to do an in-person consult with a great doc and see what he says. You may have to get on fin for a doc to work on you, I am not sure. I actually rarely endorse an HT on someone who is not on finasteride. If you have loss in your crown, you should definitely try it again if you haven't.

Do I regret it? No. But sometimes I wish my hairline was naturally a bit higher so I had a smaller "battle ground." But that said, why lose out on the next 5 to 10 years because you will need another procedure?

Judging from your hair though, you have nothing to lose by waiting either.

View Spanker's Website

Magnum, that is true, that is why it is best to see an honest doctor. You are the perfect example of someone who would have had a great run out of an HT. You are not bad advanced and if you would have gotten an HT 10 years ago (with today's practices) it would still look good.

Thanks Spanker.

Thanks again, all.

My hair isn't falling out at the most rapid of rates. This is over the course of the last 5-6 years or so.

I suppose I will have to consider taking finasteride again... I do have about 140 of them left. I've read a lot about finasteride and rogaine causing shedding. Is this anything to really worry about?

I think Hasson didn't want to operate on you for very good reason. You are what about 26? You do not want to take medication and are showing signs of miniaturization and future loss. In my opinion a young person who is not able or not willing to take finasteride long term should not have a hair transplant. There is absolutely no substitute for your native hair, and you have a lot to hang on to. You don't want to run the risk of laying down a really aggressive hairline and loose the hair behind it without enough donor to keep up with the loss. My advice would be to give fin another try and if you tolerate it for a good amount of time, then you can start looking into a transplant.