Hair washing

Jon Jones

Hi,

Each time I wash my hair I find white flakes around the front-part of my head, temples and the sometimes at the crown. These are areas where I have lost most hair too. There is no itching. Each Time I try to clear the flakes by rubbing my hand on the affected areas more hair falls out.

I have had this issue for over 10 years and tried just about everything from oils to shampoos with no success.

I am thinking of having a hair transplant but even if I do I doubt this problem will disppear.

Is anybody else having this same problem? Any help or ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

You, more than likely, have seborrheic dermatitis. Like me, I have it throughout my entire scalp since I was 10 years old. My scalp only itch during certain times of the season, but they leave lots of dandruff (white flakes) that i can peel off. Some of my hair are pulled off in the process as well. See a dermatologist to determine your condition and in the meanwhile try to rotate between shampoos that combat dandruff. I personally rotate between, Nizoral, Polytar (tar-like substance) and Clinicure. It works great and gives me minimal flaking.

I had a HT and no it has not cured it. lol. It cannot be cured, so i'm told, but can be controlled.

You cam also try T-gel shampoo made by Neutrogena. This type of problem does not mean that you are not a candidate for hair transplantation. I have performed many successful hair restoration procedures on patients who suffered from chronic Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Dr Charles,

Thanks for your input. Would you recommend any type of shampoo for this condition? Also, even though a HT may be performed for people with this condition is there a rsik of it falling out due to the continued flaking?

Could somebody please advise if the frequency of hair washing affects the seborrheic dermitits condition? I wash my hair 3 times a week and was wondering if I wash more frequently if the flaking will reduce?

I too wash my hair everyday. It really helps me maintain healthy hair and scalp. I rotate between the 3 shampoo I've mentioned above and I never wash my hair twice in a row with the same shampoo.

So the schedule I set for myself goes like this:

Sunday- Nizoral *I've been using Nizoral for almost 2 years now. loving it.

Monday- Clinicure (same as Nioxin) helps keep my hair thick.

Tuesday- Polytar *great discovery I came across. Unfortunately, I can only buy it online from Canada as I can't find it anywhere in the States. Quite pricey too, but well worth it.

Wednesday- Clinicure

Thrusday- Nizoral

Friday- Clinicure

Saturday- Polytar

The reason you don't want to keep using the same shampoo daily is because your scalp can adapt to the new shampoo you are using and rendering it ineffective over time.

You gotta find what works for you. There are many shampoos out there you can test for yourself. Some have already mentioned T-gel Neutrogena, selsum blue and heads and shoulders. In all honesty, I've also tried those products. Unfortunately, I've used them daily without rotating and it become ineffective that it actually made my scalp even worse. Good Luck to you.

Also, I noticed when I had my HT, I couldn't really wash my hair/scalp for about 2 weeks. Within a week you can see just how much flaking and dead skin I started to accumulate in my One Week post op pics.

Hi,

jmg544 - Thanks for the great advice!

Just a few more queries.

1. I fear by increasing the frequency of washing my hair to daily, the rate at which I'm losing it will increase. Did you find this to be true?

2. If you didn't adopt the daily hair washing routine do you think the transplanted hairs would also have suffered from flaking and fallen out as a result of this?

Thanks.

1. I fear by increasing the frequency of washing my hair to daily, the rate at which I'm losing it will increase. Did you find this to be true?

For someone with a full set of hair, you're bound to lose anywhere close to 75-100 hairs daily. Washing your hair does not cause you to lose more than the normal amount of hair and it certainly does not lead to hair loss. There are many factors that can contribute to hair loss. MPB, dieting, what sort of chemicals we use in our hair, etc. Also note that washing your hair only causes you to lose the hair which is in the sleeping stage like telogen and is lost normally in the cycle of hair growth, which mean you will eventually grow it back. Maybe not as thicker as before but it should grow back.

If you are suffering from MPB, which many of us on this forum are, hairs that do not grow back are pretty much at the end of its cycle. [DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) is what kills the hair follicle and cause us to go bald] Therefore, many of us resort to a careful master plan of our HT to restore what is lost or simply use a hair piece. Hopes this clears up some of the myths about hair washing.

2. If you didn't adopt the daily hair washing routine do you think the transplanted hairs would also have suffered from flaking and fallen out as a result of this?

I can't really say if I didn't adopt the daily hair washing whether my transplanted hairs would suffered from flaking as my seborrheic dermatitis is not located where the transplant hairs are. I lose most of my hair in the affected areas but if it's under control, I lose less to almost none when I shower.

If you are suffering from MPB;

Are you taking Fin (propecia or proscar)?

Are you using 5% minoxidil (rogaine)?

These are clinically proven to help regrow and maintain what original hair you have left. After using propecia for almost 9 months, I have noticed my hair is getting a lot thicker and am losing a lot less.

Hi,

jmg544 - thank you once again for your guidance.

I have increased the frequency of my hair washing since last week. I am using Nizoral 2 times per week and other milder shampoos inbetween. I have been amazed with the results. The flaking has significantly improved with very little hair loss during washing.

Your guidance has really been very benefical. In the past, doctors just asked me to try different shampoos which may have worked during one or two washes but not during a long period of time.

I will continue this process and keep everybody posted on progress with the flaking.

Thanks once again to the forum members and especially jmg544.

Yes, the doctors. Not to take anything away from them, but I've wasted countless amount of dollars with treatment that did absolutely nothing. Researching and testing what products that are available over the counter is your best bet. It's not a cure, but as long as you can keep it under control, the worst you can come out of it is a bill of clean and healthy scalp. icon_smile.gif

I'm glad that you have found something that is working for you.

Ranma,

While you are welcome to post here, you are not welcome to post promotional links on our forum. Thus, I've removed your promotional link from your signature and replaced it with a message.

You're expected to follow the rules of this community if you want to post here.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Since my last post I've noticed some flakes have started to come back and I'm quite upset about this since I thought I'd finally found a fix to the problem which has bothered me for so many years.

I'm still using Nizoral twice each week and washing my hair 4 times a week.

Any advice would be appreciated. jmg544 - do you have any more tips?

Thanks.

Hi Jon-

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Sebbhoraic Dermatitis is a chronic problem that does not go away. You can treat it and it does dissappear for a while only to return later.

It sounds like you are treating it successfully barring a bit of flaking. Some people have it much worse than others. Some can have a great deal of build up while others have some mild flaking. It really depends on the person.

I too have Sebbhoraic Dermatitis. I don't use anything for it as I simply massage the build up off with my finger tips while I'm in the shower. It seems to work fine for me.