Day 25 Very little of new Ht Shedding

Is it normal that almost all my new transplanted hair are still in place very little have gone maybe 50 out of 1500 is that ok /normal?? I have read a lot of people lose after just two weeks , i shower every day, rub gently the transplants but there not budging, can anyone put my mind at rest. Sorry im not day 25 im day 27 tomorrow 4 weeks since op.

Green82,

It's perfectly okay and actually considered something of a gift when transplanted hairs don't shed but rather continue growing. Most of us will lose those follicles in the first few weeks and end up looking just as bald or balder for a period of time.

Don't worry about it. You may be one of the lucky few who gets to keep the appearance of fuller hair from day one!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Some rare, blessed individuals skip shedding phase and go into growth phase right away. I've seen cases where 3 month-4 month post op are incredible due to this.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Green82,

Are all of the crusts gone? At four weeks post-op your scalp should be free of all of the crusts and scabs in the recipient area where your grafts are located. I read that you are being gentle rubbing but if there are any crusts remaining, it may take more effort to remove them.

Sometimes I hear of your situation and discover that the individual still had the crusts remaining and graft hair that did not shed.

If the graft hair is growing in length then that is the indication that the graft did not go dormant and shed but rather stayed in the growing phase. Most patients experience the graft hair stubbles coming out with the crusts. If the crusting comes off but the graft hair stays, again it's an indication that the grafts remained in the growing phase.

If by chance you do still have crusting, my recommendation would be to get more aggressive and remove them. You can ask your doctor first however at four weeks post-op, the crusts are not IMHO providing any benefit.

Otherwise if the crusting is in fact gone and the graft hair remained, that is exceptional and I also agree to take that as an added benefit. Eventually all of the grafts will continue their cycling patterns and they will shed intermittently, and regrow another hair shaft.

Best wishes to you on your regrowth and end result! :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Give it time before you will know if you will be a rare case of patient that will hold onto the original transplanted hair. Fwiw I was a late 'shedder' and kept the majority into the second month.

My hair bagan to noticeably shed around the 1.5month mark. I suppose that means I will have to wait a bit longer for the new growth cycle to begin.