Barber scratched my donor scar

i am in a foreign country where it is very hot. it had been 5 months since my last hair cut and exactly 60 days since my ht. i felt it was time to get a hair cut and some relief from the heat. i went to a salon in a mall and tried to explain that i just had surgery on my head. i dont speak the native language very well.

the barber raked the comb across my donor scar pretty hard. i dont think he noticed it was there. but he did it several times before i told him to go easy. he didnt understand me and did it again before i explained it better.

now my scar, especially near my occiptial bump feels a bit raw. no bleeding or anything serious but can scars stretch or have healing impaired by this kind of treatment?

I think you're fine. I doubt that it did any serious damage; the scar is fairly well healed and scar tissue fairly well established.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

John,

Altogether, it takes up to 1 year for tissue to fully heal and remodel into a scar. At this point in time, the tissue reaches about 80% of its original strength. This means that at roughly 2 months post-op (based upon your images), your scar is likely in the "inflammation" or "proliferation" (opposed to the final remodeling phase) phase, and it is susceptible to stretching and damage.

Having said that, this type of activity does not sound like something that would stretch or damage the susceptible scar. Remember, if you're still concerned, you can always check with your hair transplant surgeon and see what they think.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.