First Success in Cloning Human Stem Cells

Here is an article reporting first success with cloning human embryos.

**outside link removed** (since the links are removed please google on BBC and TIME with cloning human stem cells)

Though cloning in sheep was demonstrated back in 1996 it was not a success in humans until recently. The cloned embryos can be used for creating cells of the desired type, in this case hopefully cells required for hair generation. Currently embryonic like stem cells could be produced from skin cells. But I am not sure whether the recent actual embryonic stem cells are superior in generating hair.

To me it seems that if an embryo is made to develop in to a fetus for sometime it would produce hair follicles. But wouldn't that be unethical?

Any thoughts on how this recent discovery will impact hair multiplication research?

Edited by Torip

Torip,

The stem cells news today is important because it is the first time researchers were able to clone embryonic stem cells in humans. Like you said, they did this in a manner similar to the "Dolly" sheep cloning experiments, but as of now, there are no plans to actually try and develop a fetus from the cloned cells. As I understand it, this is because they have cloned simian (monkey) embryonic stem cells before, but have never been able to actually create a fetus from the cloned cells.

As of now, I don't think it is clear how this will directly affect hair restoration research. Frankly, it seems like regenerative medicine is the wave of the future, so it's likely that it will affect hair restoration at some point as well.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.