Question about FUT

Hello everyone, I'm currently looking into getting a FUT transplant done. My original goal was to do an FUE, but its too expensive for me being a college student (and yes I know how much it is looked down upon when letting price be a huge factor, but I don't have a choice). I know that doctor expertise has got a lot better, so my question is how big should I expect my scar to be? I also like to keep my hair somewhat short, about a #3 all the way around, will I still be able to do this and will the scar still be visible? I plan on using a cover up product for my scar so I can maybe get away with having short hair. Thank you everybody for you answers in advance :)

Letting price be a factor isn't a problem if you choose the right surgeon. If you choose the right surgeon, the scar will be minimal and the results will be fantastic! There is nothing wrong with FUT.... When people say, "don't let price decide..." they mean, "don't let price decide your surgeon. And of the surgeons on this site will be great choices!

I really can't speak from experience, yet, because my FUT surgery is in exactly 1 week with Dr Paul Shapiro. I am not overly worried about the scar though. If anything, I get to tell a great story about how I got it!

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I am not overly worried about the scar though. If anything, I get to tell a great story about how I got it!

:confused:

Explaining the scar is always a winner, in the office, the bar, the barbecue, on facebook, on a date etc...

I wish you the best, and hopefully, the meds will mean your story is safe...

With Shapiro you made a great choice.

You do get plaudits for having the gonads to admit you had an HT, but in the end, it's a major hole, crack, whatever you wanna call it, in the mask one takes into battle.

Big as in length? This will depend on how many grafts you need as well as the donor density. In general, the higher the density, the shorter the scar.

As far as visibility goes, this will also depend on your donor density and hair characteristics. If your hair is very dense and has texture to it (i.e. curls) then it will cover a scar better than thin, straight hair will.

The scar itself should heal to about a millimeter. A #3 could be possible, but it depends on the above factors.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I was worried about the same thing in relation to the scar. This post has a good video of the scar 1 year post op and it is pretty much undetectable;

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?p=2348596#post2348596

I had my procedure done two weeks ago and you can see my scar in the albums. Might give you an idea regarding what to expect. Good luck

I personally wouldn't tell anyone to expect to be able to shave down to anything below a #4 guard after a strip procedure. I have seen cases where people are able to shave down to a #2 guard without issues but I have also seen cases where people cant go below a #6 guard without the scar showing. Like Matt said how short you can go depends on a lot of personal factors, but I think a general rule is that almost everyone should be ok at around a #4-#5 guard, and then you have the outliers who have a phenomenal scar and can go shorter or people who have a terrible scar and have to go longer.

Hello everyone, I'm currently looking into getting a FUT transplant done. My original goal was to do an FUE, but its too expensive for me being a college student (and yes I know how much it is looked down upon when letting price be a huge factor, but I don't have a choice). I know that doctor expertise has got a lot better, so my question is how big should I expect my scar to be? I also like to keep my hair somewhat short, about a #3 all the way around, will I still be able to do this and will the scar still be visible? I plan on using a cover up product for my scar so I can maybe get away with having short hair. Thank you everybody for you answers in advance :)

Hello JB,

There are lot factors that contribute to your scar. At our clinics we often do hair transplant scar revision. So, in case the scar is more than you anticipated you can have it revised in the future at an affordable cost with FUE and or SMP.

That being said factors contributing to your scar formation are 1) the number of donor hairs required and your own hair density 2) the skill of the surgeon 3) the type of closure used 4) your body's own healing process and tendencies 4) your post-op recovery being normal

Scarring is so unique but given the best in all factors your scar should not be a mitigating factor in your styling preference. Again, today's scar revision can seriously reduce the appearance of scars. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum