Consultation with Dr. Umar - need help

MCS

I just recently completed a consultation with Dr. Umar and need help here in making a difficult decision.

As a fourth and final solution to the lack of density and scar having stretched from my third HT procedure as I've posted here:

[ http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169274-1-year-post-op.html ], I am seriously considering FUE using beard (and possibly scalp) donor hair to fill in the crown and sides.

While Umar's many online advertised results speak for themselves, it was important for me to get a feel for him personally. The doc that did my prior three procedures is Dr. Williams and my first choice would always be to go to him. This is the first time ever consulting with another HT doc. Dr. W brought it to the absolute max that conventional FUT could ever go. I am very pleased with the top notch work of Dr. W. But I want that extra density that FUT can no longer provide due to reduced laxity, previous scars, and continued shock loss that comes with the territory.

It would be a dream if Dr. W could be the one to do #4, as I've developed complete confidence and an unsurpassed comfort level all these years with him that I do not have with anyone else. Whether it matters or not at the end of the day, Umar was rather despondent during my consultation and didn't really seem too enthusiastic about meeting me or doing my hair, but that just could've been that it was at the end of the day and I'm not anywhere as bad a shape as most of his clients.

Umar recommended the following:

800 grafts for the scar restoration, 1500 grafts to add density to the crown area and 600 grafts to add density to the left and right side of your head. Total grafts: 2900. This would be a 2-day procedure @ $7/graft (his usual price is $8/graft and his clinic is running a special this summer).

Thinking back to Dr. W - I know that he CAN do FUE now [ http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167889-dr-joseph-williams-now-performing-fue.html ], however, BHT FUE requires a certain skillset that from everything I've researched develops over time and this would naturally be my concern.

Thoughts here?

Also, some cons over BHT, as top HT docs like Rassman advise against all forms of BHT:

Hair Loss Information

1) Scarring (especially for beard donor hair) - For me, beard hair may be a safe and yield a better cosmetic results, however, I fear the risk that transplanting beard hair may leave visible facial scarring.

2) BHT inconsistency with scalp hair.

3) BHT requires a greater donor yield to accomplish what scalp hair can since body hair growth cycles are shorter. Whereas only 10% of scalp hair isn't visible due to being in telogen (shedding) and catagen (resting), up to 40% or more of body hair isn't visible on your scalp at one time.

So, I remain somewhat skeptical as to whether BHT is the best approach in my particular situation.

Umar is closest to me, but any thoughts as to Jeffrey Epstein who also does BHT/FUE?

Thoughts??? I know it sounds silly, but I feel like I'm cheating on Dr. W.

Cheating on??? No, no, this is business. This is your life and you have to pick the best doctor for you. Personally I'm not a fan of a Umar's work. Some of it looks great and some of it looks really bad. But, for BHT, he is the guy to go to in the USA in my opinion. I've been to Epstein and he is decent, but I think for BHT, I would stick with Umar since it seems to be his specialty. The concerns with BHT are legit and there is not much to say about it. You could get 0% yield, it does grow in cycles, it does look unnatural. These are all true. I think you are likely to have some minor dotting just from photos I've seen (of his and other's work), so if you have a sagging neck, this might be one more thing to make you self conscious. I've consulted with Umar and he has no personality. He acts like he doesn't give a crap and certainly doesn't instill confidence. But, if you are desperate enough, he is the guy to help you in my opinion. There are no guarantees with body hair. I've seen a 5000 graft procedure he did on real self and it looked like a horrible yield. Keep in mind he shows the best of the best for videos/photos. I'm assuming he is using nape hair for the front, because beard hair in the front looks awful. Nape hair is not safe as you probably know and could fall out later. If I was going to put hair in my scar, he would probably be the guy. There is another I know of that is good for that but he charges 12 a graft. Good luck.

Cheating on??? No, no, this is business. This is your life and you have to pick the best doctor for you. Personally I'm not a fan of a Umar's work. Some of it looks great and some of it looks really bad. But, for BHT, he is the guy to go to in the USA in my opinion. I've been to Epstein and he is decent, but I think for BHT, I would stick with Umar since it seems to be his specialty. The concerns with BHT are legit and there is not much to say about it. You could get 0% yield, it does grow in cycles, it does look unnatural. These are all true. I think you are likely to have some minor dotting just from photos I've seen (of his and other's work), so if you have a sagging neck, this might be one more thing to make you self conscious. I've consulted with Umar and he has no personality. He acts like he doesn't give a crap and certainly doesn't instill confidence. But, if you are desperate enough, he is the guy to help you in my opinion. There are no guarantees with body hair. I've seen a 5000 graft procedure he did on real self and it looked like a horrible yield. Keep in mind he shows the best of the best for videos/photos. I'm assuming he is using nape hair for the front, because beard hair in the front looks awful. Nape hair is not safe as you probably know and could fall out later. If I was going to put hair in my scar, he would probably be the guy. There is another I know of that is good for that but he charges 12 a graft. Good luck.

I would not be doing anything in the front, only the crown, back and sides. He did mention the possibility of using some scalp hair along with beard. No, I didn't get a lot of confidence to be honest, but I see he is recommended here. Strangely, I got more from his online consultation than in person. He basically said that using his methods, he has not found the scarring to constitute a long term cosmetically significant problem in the hundreds of surgeries he's done over the past 6 years.

Who's the other guy you mentioned that charges $12 out of curiosity?

Last resort, I could just wait it out until hair cloning is finally available.

I would not be doing anything in the front, only the crown, back and sides. He did mention the possibility of using some scalp hair along with beard. No, I didn't get a lot of confidence to be honest, but I see he is recommended here. Strangely, I got more from his online consultation than in person. He basically said that using his methods, he has not found the scarring to constitute a long term cosmetically significant problem in the hundreds of surgeries he's done over the past 6 years.

Who's the other guy you mentioned that charges $12 out of curiosity?

Last resort, I could just wait it out until hair cloning is finally available.

Cloning is sort of available, but only in India. I would wait until it's more tested and other dr's are using it. I messaged you on the other doc since there is some wonky stuff going on where you can't say certain people's names because the docs cry about it and want to limit freedom of speech.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an extensive amount of work performed by Dr. Umar in the last year. Interesting comment, FUE has taken you as far as it will go. Now you are limited as to your options-thus FUE. I hear you.

In my search, I wasn't looking for a cheerleader. I looked for over a year and throughout the world. I was looking for someone so skilled and with such expertise that they could accomplish what other famed world renown hair transplant Drs said they COULD NOT do for me.... 1. make large repairs to badly stretched scarring 2. restore temple points, hairline and crown. And by the way, I had no head donor left in the traditional FUT sense- no elasticity and needed an expert on an alternative to the traditional donor-like utilizing beard hair. This was the only way I could be repaired.

BTW It seems to me that many of the videos he offers up on his web-site are examples of work that he has performed that most other hair restoration surgeons would not been capable of doing.

In my view, Dr. Umar is a pioneer and should be considered as one of the finest hair restoration surgeons currently in the world. I am comfortable in saying that if you choose him to do his work, you will be most happy-like me. You will be in fine hands. Turn it over to him brother.

His work is a life-changer for me.

Baseball Cap

I have had an extensive amount of work performed by Dr. Umar in the last year. Interesting comment, FUE has taken you as far as it will go. Now you are limited as to your options-thus FUE. I hear you.

In my search, I wasn't looking for a cheerleader. I looked for over a year and throughout the world. I was looking for someone so skilled and with such expertise that they could accomplish what other famed world renown hair transplant Drs said they COULD NOT do for me.... 1. make large repairs to badly stretched scarring 2. restore temple points, hairline and crown. And by the way, I had no head donor left in the traditional FUT sense- no elasticity and needed an expert on an alternative to the traditional donor-like utilizing beard hair. This was the only way I could be repaired.

BTW It seems to me that many of the videos he offers up on his web-site are examples of work that he has performed that most other hair restoration surgeons would not been capable of doing.

In my view, Dr. Umar is a pioneer and should be considered as one of the finest hair restoration surgeons currently in the world. I am comfortable in saying that if you choose him to do his work, you will be most happy-like me. You will be in fine hands. Turn it over to him brother.

Baseball Cap

I'm sure you mean to say "FUT has taken you as far as it will go." And that would be correct, yes. The only other option would be for me to keep making the Toppik guys rich until replication or cloning is available. Do I want to keep smudging up pillows with black soot and not being able to swim in public pool for another 5-10 years? I don't think so.

Would you be willing to please post some of your befores & afters? How long ago was your procedure done? My job would be in "icing on the cake" or fine-tuning my thinning areas, as I;ve already had 3 transplants already.

Yes, I was suggesting FUT has taken you as far as you can go...me too. Therefore, one would need to look at alternatives or just live with it. I "lived" with it for over 10 years.

However, I kept an eye out there and started doing some research on the boards. Found out about the Acell and Dr. Gho claims too. This lead me to research all available treatment options and surgeons. I read everything. I contacted some of the top Hair restoration surgeons in the world. Dr. Umar was the right selection for me. I'm fortunate I made this decision. Restoration and Repair are a process. And you have to be willing to invest, the time, the money and the energy. He has given me real hope and is accomplishing things I thought were impossible for me "as FUT had taken me as far as it could go" and we do not have the holy grail of re-generative donor.

bbc

Yes, I was suggesting FUT has taken you as far as you can go...me too. Therefore, one would need to look at alternatives or just live with it. I "lived" with it for over 10 years.

However, I kept an eye out there and started doing some research on the boards. Found out about the Acell and Dr. Gho claims too. This lead me to research all available treatment options and surgeons. I read everything. I contacted some of the top Hair restoration surgeons in the world. Dr. Umar was the right selection for me. I'm fortunate I made this decision. Restoration and Repair are a process. And you have to be willing to invest, the time, the money and the energy. He has given me real hope and is accomplishing things I thought were impossible for me "as FUT had taken me as far as it could go" and we do not have the holy grail of re-generative donor.

bbc

Thanks.

Again, can you post some of your befores & afters from Dr. Umar?

Per your request for photos....

I am 12 months out from my 1st set of procedures with Dr. Umar. I am 1 month out from my second set of procedures with Dr. Umar.

I am waiting on the end result to post before and after photos.

However, I had posted some of my personal before photos on May 27th 2011 on another website.

BBC

Per your request for photos....

I am 12 months out from my 1st set of procedures with Dr. Umar. I am 1 month out from my second set of procedures with Dr. Umar.

I am waiting on the end result to post before and after photos.

However, I had posted some of my personal before photos on May 27th 2011 on another website.

BBC

Could you post the link to the other website?

Baseball Cap

Well said.

As someone who has had over 5000 beard hairs extracted, all I can say is if you are a Caucasian, there is likely no chance of scarring. I can't speak for other ethnic backgrounds, but I can speak for Caucasians, and I have never once read anyone saying they were affected by "scarring" from beard extractions.

Furthermore, beard hair mimics scalp hair in all ways, except for one: It is naturally more curly. What I have personally discovered is that over time it gets "trained", that is to say, it straightens out through repeated combing of scalp hair. And added benefit of beard hair for me is that it has added a body and fullness my hair never had before. My hair is very fine and straight, and never had any body to it, now I can comb my hair and it will stay in place. I do need to use some kind of spray, or gel, to get it looking like I want it, but that is a subjective styling choice that I make in my appearance.

I often feel compelled to comment on threads like these because I read comments from people that:

A) Have never had any beard hair added to their scalp

B) Have never had any work done from Dr. Umar.

In my opinion, they do not have the requisite experience to make an informed opinion that will add substance to the discussion, rather, they are making a personal observation based on a variety of unknown factors. That's okay and that is why these forums are beneficial, everyone should weigh all opinions, good and bad, and actively seek out both sides of the story before ever getting anything done.

There is no one on this planet who is better at knowing how to add non scalp sources to ones scalp than Dr. Umar. He did for me what no one else could of, repaired the unrepairable. I'm still a work in progress, but I'm very close to where I want to be, and could not have gotten to this stage with anyone else other than Dr. Umar.