Future Treatments

Histogen and Aderans are both completing/finishing phase IIb trials and moving into phase III. Both are presenting information at an upcoming Dermatology and Hair Loss conference in Europe, and it will be interesting to see what is released. It seems like Aderans is simply hosting a "discussion" at the conference, but Histogen is supposedly releasing new information about its late phase II trials.

As far as a release date is concerned, I don't think anyone is certain yet. A lot of dates have been thrown around, and I think the earliest possible date is some time around 2015 (though it may only be 2015 in Asian countries).

Additionally, keep in mind that while Histogen is still touting its treatment as a "Hair Stimulating Complex" (HSC), which is an injectable series of growth factors/proteins, Aderans has kind of changed its gameplan during the phase II trials. Aderans started its trials with the "Ji Gami" process of hair cloning/multiplication, where a small strip of hair was removed, dermal papilla cells (in the inferior portion of the hair follicle) were isolated, cultured, and multiplied, and then the new follicle precursors are injected back into the scalp. However, at some point during the trials, it appears as if Aderans didn't see results with the hair multiplication process, but did note that the injection of the serum induced DHT resistance in hair follicles. So, instead of hair multiplication, Aderans may release a product that makes follicles resistant to DHT, and therefore immune to androgenic alopecia. However, this is still not clear. What's more, I think Aderans still claims that the treatment only works (at all) in 40% of individuals.

Frankly, I'm uncertain where Follica is at. However, again, I don't think I'd postpone the use of proven treatments today in light of potential future treatments. What's more, I still think the next "wave" will come from "donor doubling" or "unlimited donor supply" procedures.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

" However, at some point during the trials, it appears as if Aderans didn't see results with the hair multiplication process, but did note that the injection of the serum induced DHT resistance in hair follicles."

I'm curious, where did you see this?

" However, at some point during the trials, it appears as if Aderans didn't see results with the hair multiplication process, but did note that the injection of the serum induced DHT resistance in hair follicles."

I'm curious, where did you see this?

Somewhere online. I don't recall exactly where, but I think it's discussed pretty openly on the web.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.