Journeyman - The long winding road.

HT research is liken to staring down a bottomless pit; The process of enquiry, quotations, interviews can be tiring, cumbersome and worrying. When we try to understand on whats best for ourselves, we are trying to decipher the varying measures of "good", "great" and "excellent" that our friends give to us; it is not until proven otherwise, we take whats good and discard the rest.

We know the usual straightforward checklist during the consultation process that we have to go through - Family history? Check, Exisiting medication? Check?Nature of baldness ? Check etc.... and of course the final consultation with the doctor himself on how you want to design your hair line.

For people like us who have sought a personal opinion from doctors oveseas; i could say from experience, that the consultation can/may eventually turn into a marketing and selling exercise. Most of the time, the sales rep would end off saying, "when would you like to book the surgery date?", with solid affirmation that you need to buy their services.

On some occasions, when I'm not convinced of the surgical expertise, the doctor resorted to sell me this lazer product simply because I have propecia and and minox at my disposal. In my understanding, someone who is nice to you may not have your best interest at heart.

In the end I do know that I have to seek treatment overseas. The added "what ifs" include,

- are there any guarantees that the surgery will work?

- will the doctor be kind enough to follow up with me post surgery?

- what happens if there is something that I'm not satisfied, as a patient (and a customer,) will the doctor be willing enough to meet me in the middle ? or how far will the doctor go the extra mile to make sure I can focus on recovering?

- i have paid the amount in full , what those legal documents that are presented to me prior to surgery? why wasn't this given to me earlier?

Those little things, that affect your overall wellbeing. (who said that we are not pre-occupied with burdens in the first place) Its a risk that you are taking on yourself and your future.

On a conservative level, it is estimated that you will spend about 15K USD on the first pass (excluding plane ticket, hotel expenses) Its a huge investment and a big gamble. It is not certain that you will need a "touch up" or a second procedure to make good your initial investment.

And this (surgery) can buy you so much time, when you realise that the condition is progressive...

Edited by socates123

Baldness is progressive, but extremely slow for some. I have seen some up to 7 years that still look great. Higher nw levels may look better indefinitely.

Some people, especially those that are OCD to the extreme are better off shaving their heads. I would have if I didn't have a bad scalp condition.

If the doctor feels like all the grafts grew and you are not satisfied, you are likely on your own. Some docs will give you free grafts if it doesn't grow but it is very very unusual to get some type of monetary compensation. If you use this site, and use top docs, the chances of getting preyed upon is very slim. Most of these doctors turn away as many as they take.

If someone offers you laser therapy find another doctor.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.