Am i Eligible for Hair Transplant

1962vl

Hi,

I am 32 from India (Hyderabad) and have been losing hair since 8 years, somehow i managed till this date. But now i feel that my scalp is more visible and unable to cover the scalp with my existing hair and would like to do the surgery (HT).

But when i met the leading Hair Transplant surgeon Dr.Madhu, he told me that i am not perfect for hair transplant and he suggested to be on Meds for 3 months and visit him again so that he will check at that time about the transplant.

So for a second opinion i went to the another leading surgeon Dr. Ravindra Reddy, he also suggested the same to me to be on Meds for 3 months. I am now thinking to meet Dr.Sreedhar Reddy in Bangalore.

Can u guys please tell me whether i am eligible for the surgery and suggest me the surgeon among the three. I am attaching the pics of mine taken today (april 6th 2013). Also i would like to know which Norwood i am in, i am totally confused and unable to figure out about my Norwood Stage.

I am thinking to cover my frontal part atleast initially.

Thanks and regards

IMG_20130406_105729.jpg.6d997baa9c6beddd52306abe1462c437.jpg

IMG_20130406_105846.jpg.a5f331ff016aaa1e0dd5d2baa563a237.jpg

IMG_20130406_105926.jpg.a32e2f8540b0ea75d0608b92861b7772.jpg

IMG_20130406_105951.jpg.689b6dae8011be5ac6ef9aab760b0e91.jpg

IMG_20130406_110054.jpg.bc62479ae8ae44ed181788d19a74580c.jpg

IMG_20130406_110239.jpg.4c867ef06d18a9fe2df1d10b5aa254a8.jpg

I'd say you are a Norwood 5.

You appear to meet eligibility requirements with the exception that your donor looks weak and not that dense. That means you probably have a limited number of grafts with which to meet your expectations.

If you are a good responder to finasteride then less grafts may be needed to get the desired result.

Have you thought about Dr Rahda and Dr Bhatti as well?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks matt, Yes i am thinking of Dr.Radha, coz many of our forum members are talking only good reviews, till now no bad reviews of her. so would definetely think go Dr.Radha and about Dr.Bhatti, please through some more information on him.

Thanks matt, Yes i am thinking of Dr.Radha, coz many of our forum members are talking only good reviews, till now no bad reviews of her. so would definetely think go Dr.Radha and about Dr.Bhatti, please through some more information on him.

I don't know much about Bhatti but what i have heard has been positive. The only way to get an idea of his abilities is to research, research, research! Google, Youtube, Forums. Meet with the Dr and ask for contact numbers of his patients.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I fail to see what three months on Propecia (Finpecia in India) will do for you as you won't see any new growth and this is not enough time to see if your loss stabilizes. Personally, I think this is a useless recommendation. You should be on the medication no less than six months but in your case I think you should be on the medication permanently and stay away from surgical hair restoration as your donor zone on the right side appears to have low density and what hairs that do appear healthy are in a narrow zone that should not be touched.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi jotronic,

Thanks for the detailed examining.

So do u think i should not consider transplant at all. Can i use toppik for temporary look. Will toppik usage make my hair lose further.

Let me tell you, i am having a bad minoxidil story. Yesterday i applied minoxidil 5% within 2-3 hrs, my scalp got rashes. i turned allergetic to minoxidil on whatever the company and the brand. Initially i used 2 bottles of 5% minoxidil without any problem some 4 months back. But after that my Doctor told me to use 10% and when i applied 10% to my scalp, from the 2nd day my scalp got serious reaction.

So i stopped 10% and after a gap of some 1 week, i tried to use5% then again the allergetic reaction came back. from that time onwards, whenever i apply minoxidil 5% i am getting the reaction immediately within 2 hrs. So i completely stopped minoxidil.

So now what should i do without surgery and also the meds.

Whats your opinion on this and how to go about with this kinda stuff.

I' m lost on this one.:confused: Why aren't you good for HT? You seem to have a lot of hair left.

There's a lot of cases documented on this site of people that almost completely bald and had a successful HT. What about body HT, isn't that an option?

I would wait longer than three months but stick with the oral meds and forget about the minoxidil. You don't need that headache. 6 months is a minimum just to see if your loss has slowed but realistically a year or more should be considered. I have to say I really question your donor zone. Your left side in particular shows vertical recession like a NW7 and you have retrograde alopecia which means that your hair is thinning up from the bottom as well. Your right side looks better but the light is much weaker. Based on what I see I don't think you are a surgical candidate but perhaps better photos would reveal more.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Jotronic, so u say that no need to use minoxidil and be on finasteride.

Thats fine. Even sounds good to hear.

But about the donor hair, i am totally confused. anyhow today i am meeting another HT surgeon in Bangalore, overnight journey from my place.

I will let you know what the DOC tells me.

And please find another set of pics which is brighter and clear. Planning to use NANOGEN Fibre. Please through some light on using nanogen.

Thanks and regards

1.jpg.064b8b465040e03aeebc1be5b7f3130f.jpg

2.jpg.c5870d447f8fe0704f485ff556c16081.jpg

3.jpg.91cc189c326ea2eca4b93e1b47612bd7.jpg

4.jpg.6db6e15d919aa6b48d66fba67f5714b7.jpg

5.jpg.f20468e2df6661eb434def4a0d40cdf7.jpg

5b32d7e4af743_WithOil.jpg.07ef536c58dcbb3eb038b99af637b328.jpg

I' m lost on this one.:confused: Why aren't you good for HT? You seem to have a lot of hair left.

There's a lot of cases documented on this site of people that almost completely bald and had a successful HT. What about body HT, isn't that an option?

Even am interested in body HT, since i have lots of good body hair. But i dont know who is doing it in INDIA. and dont know much about the pricing also.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jotronic, so u say that no need to use minoxidil and be on finasteride.

Thats fine. Even sounds good to hear.

But about the donor hair, i am totally confused. anyhow today i am meeting another HT surgeon in Bangalore, overnight journey from my place.

I will let you know what the DOC tells me.

And please find another set of pics which is brighter and clear. Planning to use NANOGEN Fibre. Please through some light on using nanogen.

Thanks and regards

Propecia is a good option if you don't mind permanent sexual dysfunction. Nanogen is the best covering agent and the safest from my research although I have no personal experience with any covering agents. I would be careful continuing to ask different surgeons until you get the "yes" answer. Eventually someone will be happy to take your money regardless of the long term consequences. The advice to wait 3 months is just retarded. Even if you got some regrowth with propecia, would you really risk haven't a permanently exposed scar? You could always go the body hair route with Umar but the result is unsightly in many cases. Might be better to just shave your head if you look good with it. I look horrible with a shaved head, so surgery with worth the hassle. It's a life long journey though and many cases not worth it.

Hi,

I am 32 from India (Hyderabad) and have been losing hair since 8 years, somehow i managed till this date. But now i feel that my scalp is more visible and unable to cover the scalp with my existing hair and would like to do the surgery (HT).

But when i met the leading Hair Transplant surgeon Dr.Madhu, he told me that i am not perfect for hair transplant and he suggested to be on Meds for 3 months and visit him again so that he will check at that time about the transplant.

So for a second opinion i went to the another leading surgeon Dr. Ravindra Reddy, he also suggested the same to me to be on Meds for 3 months. I am now thinking to meet Dr.Sreedhar Reddy in Bangalore.

Can u guys please tell me whether i am eligible for the surgery and suggest me the surgeon among the three. I am attaching the pics of mine taken today (april 6th 2013). Also i would like to know which Norwood i am in, i am totally confused and unable to figure out about my Norwood Stage.

I am thinking to cover my frontal part atleast initially.

Thanks and regards

Hello 1962vi;

You appear to be between NW2 advances towards NW 2A...but your pattern is not the classic usually observed. Be sure that your miniaturization study does not indicate diffused hair loss. This cannot be seen by just viewing your images here. Listen to the opinions of the various surgeons you are consulting with and make your most informed decision. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum