Propecia for 7 months now and my hair looks much worse for it!!

SpeedyG

Hi this is my first post so bear with me. Basically i started thinning gradually from around the age of 21, nothing drastic I might add. Around this time I started applying Regaine twice daily, I was doing this for around 5 years and it seemed to keep my hairloss fairly minimal. Around mid 2009 my scalp was unbearably itchy from the Regaine, it was an absolute joke!! So I then made the decision to switch to Propecia, I was expecting some hairloss from quitting the Regaine and starting the Propecia but not quite as much as there is! Could it be that the Regaine was really that good at stopping my hairloss??? Most people on forums etc dont actually seem to rate Regaine that highly..Im confused on what to do now, do I stick with the Propecia or just shave down to a number 1 or something. Regaine is out of the question to be honest as the itchiness was killing me in the end. Thanks for any help or feedback icon_wink.gif

There is harldy any proof from people on this site I have read where any one is satisfied with Propecia. Including me. Propecia will not regrow any hair. From any one on here they will say. I took propecia for this amount or YEARS and it's is hard to say if it helped. They agree that propecia causes terrible sheds and that hair never came back, butt they think it has slowed down there hair loss.. Some people will say they noticed hair regrowth soon and they consider them selves lucky. I think they are just giving false hope for the drug companies benefit, obviously it would be very hard to proof that statement. However there is no authentic proof on this site that propecia works at all. If so. Prove it. I have took propecia for a year and nothing but sheds. My hair is still weak at the root. My hair if I touch it will come loose. I've read every where in this one year, and I am not alone. There are far more people who are disappointed with the drug rather than pleased with Propecia's results.

Any one who defends propecia before commenting should show proof of your statement. Usually I see the same people defending it like it's there job! Good luck

default609,

I'm not sure what "proof" you're looking for, but clinical FDA trials have already proven that Propecia does indeed inhibit the production of DHT and stop hair loss. Only a small percentage of men have experienced significant cosmetically noticeable hair regrowth, but many have slowed or stopped the progression of male pattern baldness. Many have also seen Propecia strengthen hair still in the miniaturization process, creating the appearance of fuller, thicker hair.

Propecia is not a wonder drug by any means, but to date, it's one of the best non-surgical treatments to date.

Best wishes,

Bill

SpeedyG,

Propecia doesn't work for everyone, but unless you've experienced side effects, it's recommended to use it for at least a year before evaluating it's effectiveness.

That said, Rogaine may very well have been slowing down further hair loss. Using both hair loss treatments combined gives balding men the best chance at fighting baldness from both ends. While Propecia (finasteride) inhibits the production of DHT (the hormone responsible for carrying out the will of genetic male pattern baldness), Rogaine (minoxidil) stimulates the follicles promoting possible hair regrowth.

If Rogaine 5% liquid was causing scalp itch, you may want to consider trying out the more superior Rogaine foam. Rogaine foam doesn't contain the ingredient propylene glycol which is known to irritate the scalp. It has also been proven to be 21% more effective than its 5% liquid counterpart in FDA clinical trials.

I hope this helps.

Bill