Propecia before FUE?

I'm fairly certain this has been asked before but I searched and found nothing.

Anyway, I'm set to have my procedure in July and I'm not on any sort of medicine right now. Is it a good idea to start taking propecia now?

Will it help during the regrowing stages and can I stop taking it a few months after?

I haven't taken any before as I don't really like the sound of the side effects, nor do I have any lose (or expecting any lose) on my crown.

I also read that when you stop taking propecia it can cause you to lose a few more hairs?

Cheers

Starting new hairloss meds especially finasteride can potentially induce a shed within 90 days of initial use. It is not common but every now and then we read about someone starting Propecia or Proscar and experiencing a shed. They either start it just before their procedure or immediately afterward. It can potentially affect the regrowth (yield) timetable of the procedure.

Ideally, starting these meds at least 6 months or longer prior to surgery will at least pass the inhibition period and if someone is destined for a shed, it should occur before their surgery and also have enough time for the shed hair to regrow.

If shed hair does not have enough time to regrow to where the hair shafts are once again visible, possible damage/transection of some underlying follicles can occur. This can happen when the recipient incisions are made for new grafts because the surgeon cannot see where the dormant hair follicles are located beneath the scalp.

Something to think about. You may want to consider starting the new meds after the regrowth of your procedure has manifested.

Keep in mind I am not a doctor and not giving medical advice but again base this opinion on many observations over the years.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you have hair you want to keep, you should take propecia. Side effects are possible, but uncommon, and you won't know until you take it. That's all there is to it.

I see. Thank you :).

Starting new hairloss meds especially finasteride can potentially induce a shed within 90 days of initial use. It is not common but every now and then we read about someone starting Propecia or Proscar and experiencing a shed. They either start it just before their procedure or immediately afterward. It can potentially affect the regrowth (yield) timetable of the procedure.

Ideally, starting these meds at least 6 months or longer prior to surgery will at least pass the inhibition period and if someone is destined for a shed, it should occur before their surgery and also have enough time for the shed hair to regrow.

If shed hair does not have enough time to regrow to where the hair shafts are once again visible, possible damage/transection of some underlying follicles can occur. This can happen when the recipient incisions are made for new grafts because the surgeon cannot see where the dormant hair follicles are located beneath the scalp.

Something to think about. You may want to consider starting the new meds after the regrowth of your procedure has manifested.

Keep in mind I am not a doctor and not giving medical advice but again base this opinion on many observations over the years.

This was extremely helpful, thank you! I guess what I want to know is, can an FUE shed potentially cause me to lose further hair for good if I am not on Propecia? As in, if I am destined to lose a bit more of my hair on the hairline due to male pattern baldness, could a transplant cause this?

If transplanted hair is placed near or between native hair it can cause shockloss, which should grow back from 3-6 months however if the native hair is already on the way out due to MPB then it would be permanent.

That is why some suggest to take propecia 6 months before a procedure to possibly help stop this from happening as propecia can strengthen the native hair and possibly halt or slow this down.

Hope this helps.

If transplanted hair is placed near or between native hair it can cause shockloss, which should grow back from 3-6 months however if the native hair is already on the way out due to MPB then it would be permanent.

That is why some suggest to take propecia 6 months before a procedure to possibly help stop this from happening as propecia can strengthen the native hair and possibly halt or slow this down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers James! Do you reckon it's worth starting propecia now? I'm just over 3 months away from my hair transplant.

Tricky one pal, i agree with gillenator

Sheds do occur with meds as i have experienced them myself, so the last thing you want is a shed just before your procedure as potentially as gillenator stated possible damage/transection of some underlying follicles can occur due to the Doc not being able to see where the dormant hair follicles are beneath the scalp.

If it was me i would wait until after the procedure, however that is only my opinion.

You make a good point mate! I think if I'm going to go on them then I'll just wait till after. If it causes any further lose then I am prepared to have a smaller HT later on in my life as I'm not expecting to lose much more anyway.. Hopefully.

Actually, it's probably better to start before rather than after. Dr Rassman has noted on his blog that it helps with shockloss.

These propecia sheds are not really common btw.

True, propecia does help with shock loss as it in theory should strengthen the native hair, however what if a shed occurs before the patients procedure?

I must be unlucky as i have a shed once or twice a year (season shedding) which is annoying:(

Remember in Fue, you're going to make a few thousand cuts into your scalp, and I believe your hair goes into telogen in response to that stress. I believe between early anagen and telogen is when the hormones can make a big impact, so I think that's a great time to be on fin. I could be dead wrong.

Not that I am directing this statement at anyone in praticular, but we still occasionally will hear or read about someone claiming that Propecia (finasteride) minimizes/prevents shockloss and I disagee for two reasons. First because the primary source of what causes shockloss is the resulting trauma and stress from the surgery, not the level of DHT in the scalp sebum or body.

Second because there is no clinical proof to support that finasteride reduces the level of trauma associated with the procedure. Propecia is classified as a specific hormone inhibitor, meaning it inhibits DHT. To my knowledge nothing else is mentioned in its pharmacology classification regarding any other benefits or secondary considerations like reduction in trauma or anti-inflamatory properties.

I do not see any emperically verified clinical data/proof that low dose finasteride strengthens the hair follicles or reverses the miniturization process over time intervals with those individuals taking the drug. Because there are no routine examinations and long term comparisons made to any changes in hair shaft diameter with these individuals, any stated improvement is more of an opinion than clinical/scientific proof.

Yes, in Merck's published clinical trials, some men (mostly younger and not as advanced in hairloss), have experienced some level of regrowth which is awesome. I then became of the opinion that the earlier one gets started on Propecia, the better chances of rejuvenating some regrowth from dormant follicles that were stimulated back into the growth phase from the finasteride.

I do believe that the principal benefit from low dose finasteride is to "slow the rate of progression of MPB", and henceforth most men will report that their hairloss has slowed or even greatly stabilized. From much patient feedback over the years, this is the most often reported benefit. Rarely if ever have I heard someone claim with any degree of clinical certainty that Propecia had reversed the effects/progression of MPB.

So in conclusion, my opinion is that low dose finasteride will buy us time but never eliminate nor reverse the progression of MPB.

And I am still of the opinion that because our donor supplies are limited, why risk invoking a shed just prior to a HT procedure or during the regrowth period.

Starting finasteride post-op after the regrowth has fully manifested IMHO does not present inherent risk from waiting an additional 6-9 months. But transection to the hidden follicles does because that is permanent damage to follicles lying beneath the surface of the scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

There is actually no evidence either that finasteride causes a shed. It has only been reported by a small number of users and is anecdotal, much like the claim about finasteride and shockloss which has been made by HT surgeons. Furthermore, no one has stated that fin strengthens the hair, however, after an HT, native hair can go into telogen, and it is at this point where androgens are believed to be most active, as a result, in theory, it would be optimal to be on fin at this point.

Even if the shed happens, (which is unlikely), it is temporary, and will have no bearing on the hair transplant.