Dad's NW Class?

There's not really any good pictures of my dad with his hair slicked back. In the photos below he has it tied in a ponytail in the first two pix and just brushed back in the last. He was 40 when these photos were taken.

8587181954_6d97bdc948_b.jpg

8587190330_24da05f247.jpg

8586094999_81379fb1c0_b.jpg

Note he also has a bit of a bareness at the vertex. It's not very noticeable however.

8587183830_03a5a3fef2_z.jpg

Based on those images, maybe a NW II (though it wouldn't be hard to argue that he was a NW I). However, because of the (seemingly) isolated vertex balding, he would likely be classified as a NW IIv. The Norwood-Hamilton scale, in my opinion, is generally better for determining where your hair loss pattern is heading compared to where you are at the moment. Hair loss is a progressive condition, and it's sometimes difficult to classify with a set scale. What's more, because androgenic alopecia is polygenetic with variable penetrance (meaning it can come from anywhere in your family and be expressed in any balding pattern), it usually isn't worthwhile to estimate your hair loss pattern based upon a relative.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

My dad is 54 and has no hair loss. I started receding when I was 15.

I don't think your fathers baldness necessarily always comes into it....certainly not in my case any way!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

My dad and brother both have great hair....But mine started thinning at about 20, very slowly....I wore a hat all the time and hated my dad and brother and for that matter everyone else making hair jokes....it really made me miss out on a lot of life, I wouldn't go anywhere that I couldn't wear a hat...I remember it being hot and wanting to go swimming But NO!!!!LOL People are really rude and mean to most balding people....