FUE transplant during Telogen Effluvium

Hey Everyone,

My question is in regards to people's experience with hair transplants during an episode of heightened shedding (telogen effluvium). I recently had a FUE hair transplant procedure on 1/2/2013 and experienced massive shedding post op. Leading up to the surgery, I was going through an intense period of stress due to personal / family issues. During the 4-5 months before my surgery, I noticed that my hair was shedding at a ridiculous rate, clearly much more than the oft quoted 100 hairs/day normal range. It was a really rough period in my life.

I'm concerned because during the first 3 weeks after surgery, my native hair was shedding in clumps (incredibly traumatizing). I looked worse than before surgery, and I was really starting to second guess my decision. On one particular day, a clump of hair practically the thickness of my pinky finger fell out within a few hours. Needless to say I freaked out.

Anyways, I've read on Rassman's blog that transplanting during a period of TE could potentially cause a poor result. From what I've read, this intense period of stress could have caused hairs all over the head (even from the permanent zone) to go into miniaturization.

I'm at 3 months post op, and I see some growth but it is extremely sparse (to be expected at this stage). Does anyone think that intense shedding post op, coupled with bad shedding leading up to the surgery, can pose serious problems with the final outcome?

did u make ur doctor aware of this prior to ur surgery? and who was ur doctor? post up some pics so we can get a better idea.

stress can surely cause hair to shed. have u been to the doctor to get ur blood checked? u may have something else surfacing.

u have a common symptom associated with hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid gland). which is patchy hairloss. graves disease could be triggering it. het urself checked out.