New to board - had a consulation with Dr. Bernstein today

Cue

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but not to the bald community. I'm 27 male, started losing my hair at 21. This is a really great resource, I really wish I knew about it before I had my first hair transplant at the end of 2007. I went to Dr. Hitzig and aside from a few strands that look pluggy, my hair looks pretty much the same, so the head full of hair he promised never materialized.

It's been a year and no new hair so I've given up on the first transplant. I had a consultation with Dr. Bernstein today (based on how highly he's recommended on this site) and he's exactly the way people describe him here. He told me the issue with getting a second transplant is the best crop of hair is taken from the donor area for the first transplant, which is why I really regret going to Dr. Hitzig now. Dr. Bernstein didn't make any outlandish promises but he said he'll do the best he can with the hair in the remaining donor areas.

He recommended 1500 grafts, which comes out to $9000. It's a little more than I can afford right now. I paid $3500 for the first one, now I know why it was so cheap compared to Bernstein.

I know there are a couple of other Doctors in the NY area that are highly recommended - True, Feller, Epstein. Are their prices comparable? If they're drastically less, it'd be worth it for me to go to them but if they're about the same as Bernstein, I'll stick with Bernstein so I don't have to waste my time or any of the other doctors' time.

Obviously in NY, especially Midtown Manhattan you're going to pay top dollar but how are the prices in other states from top surgeons?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but not to the bald community. I'm 27 male, started losing my hair at 21. This is a really great resource, I really wish I knew about it before I had my first hair transplant at the end of 2007. I went to Dr. Hitzig and aside from a few strands that look pluggy, my hair looks pretty much the same, so the head full of hair he promised never materialized.

It's been a year and no new hair so I've given up on the first transplant. I had a consultation with Dr. Bernstein today (based on how highly he's recommended on this site) and he's exactly the way people describe him here. He told me the issue with getting a second transplant is the best crop of hair is taken from the donor area for the first transplant, which is why I really regret going to Dr. Hitzig now. Dr. Bernstein didn't make any outlandish promises but he said he'll do the best he can with the hair in the remaining donor areas.

He recommended 1500 grafts, which comes out to $9000. It's a little more than I can afford right now. I paid $3500 for the first one, now I know why it was so cheap compared to Bernstein.

I know there are a couple of other Doctors in the NY area that are highly recommended - True, Feller, Epstein. Are their prices comparable? If they're drastically less, it'd be worth it for me to go to them but if they're about the same as Bernstein, I'll stick with Bernstein so I don't have to waste my time or any of the other doctors' time.

Obviously in NY, especially Midtown Manhattan you're going to pay top dollar but how are the prices in other states from top surgeons?

It behooves you to consult with various clinics, either way -- not just for price, or even "quality", but most specifically in their approach and the prognosis that they recommend and are willing to do.

In the end, make sure that the # of grafts combined with the talents of the clinic will produce the best result for you and a result that you will be satisfied with.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Cue,

1500 grafts at $9000 is approximately $6 per graft, which I'd consider on the high side of the average.

However, Coalition member Dr. Bernstein's reputation is solid and his work is consistently positive.

Remember also that you need to consider your long term hair restoration goals which should include the risk of future hair loss and potential need of subsequent sessions.

Planning financially is a big part of this.

Best wishes in restoring your hair in 2009,

Bill