can't deal with propecia/not sure what to do next

hello everyone, well, i started my struggle with hairloss when i was in my early 20s which is quite a long time ago now

in the early years, i used minoxidil and also some herbal tablets (can't remember what they were now) but i didn't continue trying. i thought that as time went on, i'd get used to things and just accept things but i haven't, and this is 15+ years later.

after seeing certain celebrities on tv i started to think that a ht would be something to investigate, and i thought why not 'fix' this problem rather than always hiding away from it (i know it's not straightforward).

so i have investigated and think i want to go ahead with it. am using regaine and nizoral. but... i can't face the idea of propecia, the side effects are really terrifying for me because of family illnesses and also the sexual side effects.

i had an argument with a woman that pushed past me on a staircase once, and from above, she turned round and shouted baldie, and this is one of the moments that has stuck with me. also a drunk guy at a party once said, the hair on the top of my head was like a little bit of fuzz (i'd cut it very short) as that seemed to be the advice at the time - 'if there are issues with thinness, always go short' - lol! and someone pulled at it, and i left feeling freaked out. i relate to all the comments about wearing hats, and avoiding rain, not standing under bright light etc.

anyway, what i'm seriously wondering is if i can go ahead with the ht, use regaine and nizoral, and make the best of things?

i feel that my hair loss was greatest in my early 20s and that it's slowed down or perhaps the loss was more noticeable back then because i had much more hair...

i feel it's either ht - or - nothing and try to accept what is.

thanks very much to spex for all the advice. this forum is great, i am shocked at the number of surgeons in the uk who are doing hts that maybe shouldn't be but impressed with the work done by surgeons recommended by this site.

anyway, i just wanted to get all this out there. i've talked to a couple of people closest to me about this, a bit like a coming out, but not had much support or feedback. i've got a possible consultation in two - three weeks so any helpful comments or feedback from you would be welcome and appreciated

Sounds like based on your age, and loss stabilization you could be a good candidate. Just make sure to go to the best doctor you can find without a single bad review. I had my HT last summer and that was my main goal and am very pleased with the result. But i'd rather be bald, thinning or worse than have a bad transplant on my head.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.

Hey first of all alot of women are not shallow like us males and they like whats on the inside than outside.Take a look around and see how good looking girls are with average guys with or without hair.However if you do HT then that will just boost your confidence for you,Iam the same way.As for propecia I started and stopped it after hearing of sexual side effects.Yes it seemed to decrease sexual drive which was probably good for me but I stopped it and the drive seems to be at baseline again.I talked to my H/T Dr Gabel and he suggested just taking half of 1mg tablet for my own comfort but still getting results from use of it and minimal sexual side effects,Minoxidal did not seem to grow hair for me but it does seem to help save the ones I have.Hope that helps....:)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website

I'm not saying it'd work for you...everyone is different....but the improvement of my hair has been incredible due to propecia. Yes some people get the sides, but lots don't. It's worth a try - if you get them just lower the dose or stop. Or you could be like me - much improved hair with a high sex drive.

I've done the propecia - stabilisation - HT route and so far it's worked well. Maybe things will turn bad in the future but everything is a risk - you just have to weigh it up. Personally I think it's worth giving a go. Though maybe since you;re so hooked on the potential sides anyway your mind will play tricks on you and make you get them.

Edited by TommyLucchese

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for your feedback and advice. Am dealing with things much better now, and am planning to discuss propecia with a consultant and also mention the alternative revivogen products and see what he says before making a final decision. Thanks again.