Only 23, yet have suffered from hair loss my whole life (since 8)

This is my first post on this forum and I won't give the entire hair loss story as I did in my bio but will give a brief overview. I'm an African American female, age 23 and soon to be 24 in less than a month. I first experienced hair loss at age 8 around my temples and nape due to extensive wear of braids with extensions. My mother had been braiding my hair coupled with relaxers since age 5 and continued to due even after the hair loss (due to the belief that my hair loss was only genetic). At about 16 my hair completely stopped trying to grow back in as my mother was still braiding and relaxing my hair. After finally doing some research of my own my junior year of college to determine once and for all what was the true cause of my hair loss and what could be done about it, I first learned of traction alopecia and that for severe cases like mine, the only option was a HT. This was truly discouraging because paying thousands a semester in tuition left no money to even consider such a procedure. I did, however, make many changes to my hair care regimen and the types of styles I would wear. Now, I have made the decision that this year I would really like to have the procedure done because I am TIRED of the cover up hairstyles, constantly checking myself in the mirror to make sure my hairline isn't showing, scared to go swimming, and being uncomfortable with letting my significant other touch my hair. I did away with braids and any tight hairstyles about 2 years ago and haven't relaxed my hair since 2011. I finally chopped off all the relaxed ends of my hair and have been completely natural for 8 months. However, because my hair is not long enough to hide my horrific hair line and temples, I opt to wear wigs. I love how beautiful my hair texture is and adore my kinky curls. I want to hair my own hair and do away with the weaves and wigs once and for all. I want a hair transplant but have no idea where to even start such as finding the right surgeon, the best type of HT, as well as what this will even cost me. I pray someone can help with the questions .

image.jpg.cab93d636f2c87a6b5551ad0b8d2e38c.jpg

Hi, welcome to the forum. Are you looking to fill the frontal hairline only? Usually the hair is taken from the back and sides of your head and transplanted to the hair loss area. How is the quality of hair on the sides of your head? I can see in the pics that there is an area with no hair on the sides.

I'm srry about ur situation , must be worse as a female to go threw this, what state are you located in

Why would it be worse for a female? Ive been trying to cover up my hair since I was 20 and im 56 now....I wouldn't go swimming or do a lot of stuff and I always wore a hat.....I did get a transplant 4 months ago and I wish I did it before..

Completely bald pretty much

You are limited in the donor area as the sides of your head has hair loss. Maybe the doctor would make an exception and FUE from the top of the scalp. That is only If you have not seen any hair loss on the top of the scalp and do not expect future hair loss there. You should consult a HT doctor to see what they can do for you. But usually the hair loss is on top of the scalp and the sides/back full of hair so your case is more rare I think.

You are limited in the donor area as the sides of your head has hair loss. Maybe the doctor would make an exception and FUE from the top of the scalp. That is only If you have not seen any hair loss on the top of the scalp and do not expect future hair loss there. You should consult a HT doctor to see what they can do for you. But usually the hair loss is on top of the scalp and the sides/back full of hair so your case is more rare I think.

Since I've made the decision to go natural and have no chemicals in my hair, my hair is pretty thick these days (and I'm talking 60s-70s afro thick.).. I haven't experienced any further hair loss since it fell out during childhood years (except what little did grow in over the years in the already balding areas only to fall back out due to tension) and have never lost any hair in other areas either.

• 3 weeks later...

Being a female, I seriously doubt she is going to suffer a whole lot of Male Pattern Baldness on the top of her scalp; I mean sure, it's possible, but it's very very rare in women, and the way she talks it sounds like she has super-thick hair all over her top regions, perfect for some FUE. If I were in her shoes, I would absolutely take the risk; the worst that could happen is that some of the hairs could fall out over the next 20 years; I'd take that risk if it were me. I think the only major issue here for her, as well as for lagrandeur, is to find a doc who is:

1. Reputable and skilled

2. Does FUE, and does it well

3. Maybe the trickiest one - locating a doc who is familiar with the nuances of African American hair transplantation - What exactly are those nuances, anyway, out of curiosity? Are they significant?

I really feel for her, as I imagine we all do on some level, and her situation is a unique one - partially due to the pattern of the baldness, and also because baldness really is more accepted among men, whereas women are generally held to a higher standard of beauty and vanity in society (a double-standard, I know, which probably doesn't make anyone feel any better about the situation).

There has got to be someone on these forums who is familiar with the 3 things I listed above. Does anyone know something useful to contribute here? Some of the long-timers maybe, like FutureHTdoc, SPEX, Bill-Managing Publisher, TakingThePlunge, etc.?

[EDIT] - Dr. True and Dr. Dorin, as well as Dr. Feller, are some of the most highly-recommended Coalition-approved docs on the east-coast, operating out of New York and Boston; Not a long or expensive flight from Detroit, considering I just flew all the way from Hawaii to Oregon to get my latest procedure three days ago. Definitely contact those guys and see what they have to say; they're highly ethical, and won't feed you lies about what they can or can't do for you.

[Another EDIT] - Look at Dr. Aronovitz's page here; in the Before/After results animation on the right side of the page, it looks like he does African American hair, and it looks like he does it pretty well. I have no personal experience with him, but he's Coalition-approved and based right in Southfield, Michigan, which is literally only 20 minutes outside of Detroit. Worth a look, for sure!

Anyone else?

Edited by OtherSyde
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Being a female, I seriously doubt she is going to suffer a whole lot of Male Pattern Baldness on the top of her scalp; I mean sure, it's possible, but it's very very rare in women, and the way she talks it sounds like she has super-thick hair all over her top regions, perfect for some FUE. If I were in her shoes, I would absolutely take the risk; the worst that could happen is that some of the hairs could fall out over the next 20 years; I'd take that risk if it were me. I think the only major issue here for her, as well as for lagrandeur, is to find a doc who is:

1. Reputable and skilled

2. Does FUE, and does it well

3. Maybe the trickiest one - locating a doc who is familiar with the nuances of African American hair transplantation - What exactly are those nuances, anyway, out of curiosity? Are they significant?

I really feel for her, as I imagine we all do on some level, and her situation is a unique one - partially due to the pattern of the baldness, and also because baldness really is more accepted among men, whereas women are generally held to a higher standard of beauty and vanity in society (a double-standard, I know, which probably doesn't make anyone feel any better about the situation).

There has got to be someone on these forums who is familiar with the 3 things I listed above. Does anyone know something useful to contribute here? Some of the long-timers maybe, like FutureHTdoc, SPEX, Bill-Managing Publisher, TakingThePlunge, etc.?

[EDIT] - Dr. True and Dr. Dorin, as well as Dr. Feller, are some of the most highly-recommended Coalition-approved docs on the east-coast, operating out of New York and Boston; Not a long or expensive flight from Detroit, considering I just flew all the way from Hawaii to Oregon to get my latest procedure three days ago. Definitely contact those guys and see what they have to say; they're highly ethical, and won't feed you lies about what they can or can't do for you.

[Another EDIT] - Look at Dr. Aronovitz's page here; in the Before/After results animation on the right side of the page, it looks like he does African American hair, and it looks like he does it pretty well. I have no personal experience with him, but he's Coalition-approved and based right in Southfield, Michigan, which is literally only 20 minutes outside of Detroit. Worth a look, for sure!

Anyone else?

Thank you so very much for this information.. I would truly appreciate if any one has any input or advice to add

Well LongGone, if by some freak cosmic coincidence you actually are Naomi Campbell, don't tell anyone or else the Paparazzi will be all over you like wolves on a wandering lamb - I mean look at the way they hound John Travolta and Nicholas Cage about their hair troubles, and they're old men! :)

Also KO, I think she mentioned that her mom made her braid tightly when she was younger, but she goes all-natural and doesn't braid it at all now if I remember correctly. [EDIT] - Here's the quote from further back in the thread...

Since I've made the decision to go natural and have no chemicals in my hair, my hair is pretty thick these days (and I'm talking 60s-70s afro thick.).. I haven't experienced any further hair loss since it fell out during childhood years
So yeah. No more damage being done, thankfully; she just needs to get the older damage undone.

I think I just saw a thread on here within the last few days, posted in the Results Posted By Patients forum, of a successful AA transplant. If I find it again I'll link to it.

If I was in Atlanta I'd go see Dr Edmond Griffin:

Edmond I. Griffin, MD Hair Transplant Surgeon in Atlanta, Georgia

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

HairLongGone & Lagrandeur29,

I'm an african-american male who had a hair transplant (HT) 2.5 months ago. I suffered from male pattern baldness (Norwood 5) & I know how the both of you feel. It's still early to tell if I can see any results but I'm happy I made the decision to have it done. I went to Dr. Arocha in Houston, TX so he is worth contacting; I would recommend contacting a few of the recommended HT doctors on this network. Keep doing research on this network to fully understand the process of having an HT done.

Why do you braid so tightly?

I think Naomi Campbell has the exact same thing going on. For all I know, you could be her....

Uhh I'm quite sure I'm no NC... This would be the last place I'd visit I'm sure if I was.. It actually baffles me that she hasn't had a HT yet she sure has the money.... And to answer your question about the tight braids, I do not wear my hair in tight braids at all. I actually stopped wearing braids years ago.. As I stated before, my hair fell out at 8 years when my mother used to cornrow my hair.. She wore them as well as my sister but I am the only one who experienced this type of hair loss.. Lack of education and information on what actually caused my hair to fall out at the time is the reason she continued to braid my hair. Once I was old enough to take care of my own hair and research exactly what was going on with my head, I did away with braids..