Be HONEST...are hair pieces REALLY that bad & a hassle? In other words, does it SUCK?

kenz9

I'm at around a Norwood III-IV and am 25. I really wouldn't mind being bald at 40-50, but not in my 20's :(

So with that being said, I want to take the plunge. There aren't really any 'established' places besides Farrell and Hair Club for Men --- which I heard were nightmares. Now I have a few questions and would appreciate COMPLETE honesty:

1) First and foremost, does it suck? In other words, are you CONSTANTLY thinking about it? I knew the glue/tape is supposedly very secure, but surely you've thought of it falling off, has it ever happened to you? Is it really a huge hassle?

2) What do you do, if you're like me, and you're super-active and sweat a lot. I mean if I go for a workout at the gym, does it "ruin" the piece of I sweat a lot? Can't I just shower and not have to remove, change, alter it?

3) How do you deal with your friends/roommates/SO's? Do they know, do some know, do any know? If I live with three roommates, is it inevitable they know?

4) This might be the hardest question to answer or the easier one and that is...is it worth it? Is there any advantage of a piece (besides cost) over a surgury?

5) What would you recommend a beginner do or start?

***Last question only applies to the younger guys***

6) How did you guys in your 20s (30s even) deal with it?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your help with and am GLAD I found people who can relate to this.

I wore a hair system for about 5months from Hairclub for men. I got off it finally in the last month. BTW.. I recently crossed 30 years. Here are the answers to your questions.

1) You probably would be thinking about whether others are noticing the system. For me this was not a problem with my friends but at work I was keeping a very low profile. It is highly unlikely that the system would fall off when attached with glue. But the problem is lifting up at the edges.

2) The sweat makes the system liftup and not to stick to your scalp. You can shower without having to takeoff and reattach.

3) Your roommates would definitely know, your friends may not. It is highly likely that your roommates would see when the system is in bad shape, i.e., dry and not styled.

4) Maintaining a hair piece is expensive. If you are a good candidate for HT go through the HT route.

5) If you still have your native hair starting using Finasteride. Grow your hair long and use Toppik.

The reasons for me to quit are

1) Lifting up of the system at edges even with glue attachment. It was not really following my head contour most of the time.

2) Phobia that people at work are going to find out especially on bad hair days.

1) First and foremost, does it suck? In other words, are you CONSTANTLY thinking about it? I knew the glue/tape is supposedly very secure, but surely you've thought of it falling off, has it ever happened to you? Is it really a huge hassle?

ANSWER: For myself, i never had an issue with it falling off...since i secured it daily. I used the "glue" initially...like the first 4 months, then opted for the "clips" which the only drawback is the pulling of the hair by the clips if not careful can cause "shock loss" in those clipped areas after a while. It never "sucked" until i didn't "need" it anymore. (see my recent post: I Used To Wear One...) But in the end...you're dealing with something separate from you...like a good outfit or jewelry...and trying to meld that "Look" into what you would call...yours. If you're cool with that...it's just a thing...something to preserve the sexy-you...great. Be honest with yourself and others...it's a piece, but it doesn't have to look like a piece. ;-)

2) What do you do, if you're like me, and you're super-active and sweat a lot. I mean if I go for a workout at the gym, does it "ruin" the piece of I sweat a lot? Can't I just shower and not have to remove, change, alter it?

ANSWER: 2 options. 1) don't worry about it, leave it at home and get your workout on. If it's a "social thing" where you're afraid people will call you out on it and you're not ready to let them think and say what they want...wear a do-rag or baseball cap. 2) make sure you secure it properly, even if it's glued to your head...the front part needs strong adhesive. (at least it did in my day) If the adhesive is strong, and you're confident in the security of your hair-piece...go for it.

3) How do you deal with your friends/roommates/SO's? Do they know, do some know, do any know? If I live with three roommates, is it inevitable they know?

ANSWER: why hide it? Forget them and anyone for that matter of "what they think".

If you get a nice hair system, top quality...Sean Connery/Burt Reynolds kind piece...and you LOOK GOOD?!? Forget what they say or do...if you did it right, and the end result works...HAVE CONFIDENCE in your stance son.

4) This might be the hardest question to answer or the easier one and that is...is it worth it? Is there any advantage of a piece (besides cost) over a surgery?

ANSWER: If you read my recent post "I Used To Wear One...", you'll see that i believe that everything serves a purpose. Wearing it gave me the "result" I was looking for at the time I could...a) Afford it and...b) Hair transplants at that time weren't showing the kind of results I was after.

5) What would you recommend a beginner do or start?

ANSWER: Research for the Top 3 Hair Systems clinics in your area within 30-45 min from your home, since you'll be using them every 6 weeks or so for upkeep. After you have found your Top 3, next schedule appointments with them about 3-7 days apart. Give yourself time to look over their DVDs, pamphlets, brochures, whatever...but if possible try to actually MEET clients in person, if not ask to connect to some via the Internet...but in person is best. There you can SEE the results and ask the questions and get answers right from "the horses mouth". Out of the Top 3, pick the clinic that best fits your overall objective...which initially should be Top Notch, Movie Star Results.

6) How did you guys in your 20s (30s even) deal with it?

ANSWER: i started losing my hair at 22-23 and was totally bald by the time i was 31. I'm lucky whereas the "other option" of having a hair transplant at the time wasn't really an option in 1992 for me. I wanted to look good for my wedding, it served it's purpose there and then some.

🙃

these guys are good but $$$,. i live in montreal i went to these guys

**outside link removed by moderator**

but look around in ontario. they all offer free consultations.. if baldness bothers u do it,.. trust me u will love it and dont worry what people say.. its how u feel not them

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

now i go to hair fax,..

the link above charged over 6 000

i now go to hairfax

**outside link removed by moderator** and pay 2900 a year

but they dont have a place in ontario but theres so many places that do it. look around

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Kenz9,

Which option you choose, whether a system of Hair Transplants depends on your pattern of hair loss. It's not the Norwood level that you presently have....it's how much more you're going to lose. Are you on any hiar loss therapy (propecia, rogaine, laser, etc)? Are you still losing a great deal of hair? There are several questions you need to answer before deciding.

If you are going to be very bald to the point of not having enough donor to meet your coverage/density goals, then you might consider a hair system. If you are not losing a lot or have balanced out due to therapy, then hair transplants are more liberating and believe or not more cost effective in the long run.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your response Bobman - it's great to be amongst fellow members!

What can you tell me about Hair Club for Men? There are mixed reviews online. Specifically about the non surgical 'bio matrix' hair piece. How well does it adhere to the scalp?? And does my existing (thinning) hair grow through it?

More specifically:

1) I need clarification on the question of whether or not my existing (thinning) hair on top (see my profile pic) will grow through the mesh/bio matrix hair piece,

2) If the mesh/hair piece is glued on and the existing thinning hair does NOT

grow through means the hair piece would grow out at the same rate

as my thinning hair is growing (about 1 cm per month). That would

imply the hair piece is now no longer attached to the skin but to

growing hair. Is that correct?

I am scheduled to have the procedure done on April 12 so any answers would be of GREAT help!!!

tia!!....

john... any hair left on top of my head gets shaved off..

any hair u have left the roots stay there but they are shaved off

the hair on the side and back is not touched

im telling u do this I did it 18 months ago havent felt this great in so long.

Hi Billy, thank you. And yes I AM getting it done on April 12.

I realize the hair on top gets shaved in the thinning areas and the hair piece glued on. But my question is does my EXISTING hair (that they shave off) grow through the mesh?? If not then the mesh would grow out at the same rate as my existing hair on top (please note that I DO have hair on the top of my head - see profile pic taken Jan 2, 2012) albeit it IS thinning.

So if you could answer that question that would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

it probably does but picture this when u get it shaved off........ u have to go back to the place u will be going to 1 month later for cleaning removal and they put it back on

I DOUBT IN 1 MONTH ANY ROOTS U HAVE LEFT AT THE TOP WILL grow vast in 1 month for u to see them

check out my before afetr pics for u to see what happens to existing hair,

ps: do it. u will not look back.......

where are u doing it>? where u from?

billy i wanted to ask u , for your system do u use a liquid adhesive , or do u use tape as well. Also what kind of system is it, lace or some kind of other.

Instead of having a bonded system for a month , would you rather have a system you can wear for say 7 days and remove yourself, or are u vey happy with you current system?

I notice from your comments that you changed hair replacement companies, anything you can share with people on what to look out for when dealing with a company.

thanks again....

John9000: If you feel confident regarding your research...go for it. Enjoy the process, the journey and the new you.

bobman - where did you get your hair restoration done? And was it surgery or hair replacement?

tia...