nature is trying to force me into a combover! (wayeks story)

wayek

Hi everyone! I live in Ontario Canada and here is my story with my good ol enemy MPB -

Started losing it when I was about 18 or so... I was concerned about a receding hairline for the longest time and would do whatever I could to cover it up.. went for a haircut one day and the barber said I shouldn't be worried about the hairline and it's the back I should be concerned about... noticed a fair bit of scalp showing through on the right side at the top of my head and have been devastated ever since...

This whole time I was fretting about my hairline when it was the top of my head I should've been worrying about. I live in Ontario Canada and the closest person I could see without having to go all the way to Toronto was Dr. Barr in Sudbury where I was prescribed 1mg propecia/finasteride .. took the propecia for about 4 years or so and it was going fine for the most part up until about a year and a half ago when my hair starting getting really thin/limp/staticy again at the top and also in other places. Had to go away for 6 months and was off the propecia at that time and am now considering going back on it or possibly taking dutasteride for it!

what gets me is why am I losing hair on only the right side of my crown? the left side is perfectly fine and thick I really don't get it.... it's like nature is trying to force me into having a combover! lol I wear my hair long but was told that doesn't make a difference in losing your hair. My family tells me to get over it and just accept it/shave your head/blah blah blah.. but I'm 27, look like I'm still 18, only weigh about 130 pounds and 5'7 - 5'8 so I would look like this skinny little bald dude.... wouldn't really care too much if I was at least married first or something but when you're single and young in this day and age looks mean alot!!!

now that I've been browsing these hairloss forums I'm seeing people taking like 4 different things I never heard of before for their hair and the whole time I was only taking the propecia and probably head and shoulders thickening shampoo that's it.. maybe I should've been taking some minox at the same time and maybe a few other things?? so I'm also looking for advice on my new regimen ..

it's pretty much gotten to the point where I'm probably gonna have to start using some of that toppik stuff now.. sheeeeesh!!! :eek: I'll post pictures at some point soon so you all can get a better idea of what NW I am .. (I think 3 maybe? hard to tell) and hopefully I can some suggestions on what to use from some of you helpful members here!

I can laugh and joke about it but really deep down I aint liking it one bit!!

rant over

-Dann

Edited by wayek

Hi everyone! I live in Ontario Canada and here is my story with my good ol enemy MPB -

Started losing it when I was about 18 or so... I was concerned about a receding hairline for the longest time and would do whatever I could to cover it up.. went for a haircut one day and the barber said I shouldn't be worried about the hairline and it's the back I should be concerned about... noticed a fair bit of scalp showing through on the right side at the top of my head and have been devastated ever since...

This whole time I was fretting about my hairline when it was the top of my head I should've been worrying about. I live in Ontario Canada and the closest person I could see without having to go all the way to Toronto was Dr. Barr in Sudbury where I was prescribed 1mg propecia/finasteride .. took the propecia for about 4 years or so and it was going fine for the most part up until about a year and a half ago when my hair starting getting really thin/limp/staticy again at the top and also in other places. Had to go away for 6 months and was off the propecia at that time and am now considering going back on it or possibly taking dutasteride for it!

what gets me is why am I losing hair on only the right side of my crown? the left side is perfectly fine and thick I really don't get it.... it's like nature is trying to force me into having a combover! lol I wear my hair long but was told that doesn't make a difference in losing your hair. My family tells me to get over it and just accept it/shave your head/blah blah blah.. but I'm 27, look like I'm still 18, only weigh about 130 pounds and 5'7 - 5'8 so I would look like this skinny little bald dude.... wouldn't really care too much if I was at least married first or something but when you're single and young in this day and age looks mean alot!!!

now that I've been browsing these hairloss forums I'm seeing people taking like 4 different things I never heard of before for their hair and the whole time I was only taking the propecia and probably head and shoulders thickening shampoo that's it.. maybe I should've been taking some minox at the same time and maybe a few other things?? so I'm also looking for advice on my new regimen ..

it's pretty much gotten to the point where I'm probably gonna have to start using some of that toppik stuff now.. sheeeeesh!!! :eek: I'll post pictures at some point soon so you all can get a better idea of what NW I am .. (I think 3 maybe? hard to tell) and hopefully I can some suggestions on what to use from some of you helpful members here!

I can laugh and joke about it but really deep down I aint liking it one bit!!

rant over

-Dann

Hello Wayek,

You know you have a family of folks who really know what your experiencing. If your regimen of Propecia is no longer stemming the tide, I really suggest you get an updated evaluation from an HTN doctor in making a decision on your new medical treatment. Also a thorough microscopic evaluation will help you get a picture of future hair loss. The reality is for many of us earlier intervention with some level of HT is the best solution. What I can say is that getting medical professional advice is the best alternative.

It is not to late to start using MInoxidil but in most cases it means you must keep using it or lose any benefits. As a patient advocate I sometimes feel a bit of redundancy but with all the experience we have as forum users in the end the best advice comes with a prudent medical course of action recommended by the best surgeons who some of us work for. I hope this helps in some way. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 2 weeks later...