Need Advice...

Hi,

I'm starting to think about HT procedures. Also, in my pix, you will see that I have folds in my scalp. With that being the case, I was wondering if I should do a scalp reduction to remove those folds and at the same time, have the doctor transplant those hairs.

The folds in my scalp really sucks, when my hair is long, it makes the hairs grow out in awkward directions. This is why I want to have it removed.

I'm aware that most strip procedures are horizontal, but I figure, I can kill two birds with one stone going with a vertical strip.

I'm 32 year old male.

Please advise.

head_crop.jpg.6dccd76539487d71eaa648dc402bb8c3.jpg

Hi,

I'm starting to think about HT procedures. Also, in my pix, you will see that I have folds in my scalp. With that being the case, I was wondering if I should do a scalp reduction to remove those folds and at the same time, have the doctor transplant those hairs.

The folds in my scalp really sucks, when my hair is long, it makes the hairs grow out in awkward directions. This is why I want to have it removed.

I'm aware that most strip procedures are horizontal, but I figure, I can kill two birds with one stone going with a vertical strip.

I'm 32 year old male.

Please advise.

The problem I see it is that those folds are partly outside the safe donor zone. I'm not sure it would be of any benefit trying to remove them.

I think you may be better off getting a normal strip HT and using it to improve your hairline and do some work on the crown with any left over grafts.

I'm no expert but I reckon you should send you photos to Drs Konior, Gabel and Lindsey. They are all facial plastic & HT surgeons

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Those folds are called Cutis Verticis Gyrata (CVG) when the scalp thickens and causes ridges. Unfortunately, there aren't many treatments for correcting CVG. Scalp reduction could work but your scalp could continue to ridge in the future. CVG has also been known to cause hair loss in the effected area, which could complicate having a procedure done, since it's in your donor area. FUE may be a better route for that reason. Also if you haven't already, speak to your doctor about rogaine and propecia to retain and possibly regrow dormant hairs.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi,

I'm 32 year old male.

Please advise.

Hello Seatt26,

The CVG (Cutis Verticis Gyrata) displayed in your images is an untreatable condition caused by thickening of the scalp. Scalp reduction probably would have minimum success. Also the ridges in your scalp intersect the permanent zone making HT a challenging procedure as well. This will take a full examination by one of the best HT surgeons out there. Non-surgical medical treatment of Minoxidil or Propecia might be a better first step.

Also your advanced stage may not provided the number of donor hairs needed to give the level of coverage and density you might be looking for. However if you could restore some hairs through medical treatment than either of the FUT procedures could work for you. As always I say get yourself a consult from an HTN recommended doctor. All the Best, Michael.

Edited by michaeljames

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum