To FUE or not to FUE? (Genetic baldness)

Hi everyone i'm in need of some advise

I'm 26 years old and am seriously considering FUE. My Dad and Grandad are both bald and had lost the lot on top by the age of 30.

I first noticed my hair going aged 18 and didn't think much of it - its only up until the last 6 months I have looked into ways of saving it after 8 years of receding. I started Generic Finasteride 1mg daily and Kirkland Minoxidil twice daily in November 2012 and have just hit the 3 month mark. I have gained nothing back as of yet but my hair definitely feels different… so I'm hoping it will put a halt to any further recession at least.

Now my questions

Is it to early to consider FUE?

I was hoping to have a procedure as early as April but worry that whilst my transplanted hairs could be ok I could loose the rest and need further procedures later on?

Is it common for people on Fin with genetic MPB to get transplants and loose the rest of there non transplanted hair??

I have included a picture of my hairline now (left) and how it used to look before (right) including where I think grafts should be placed (bottom)

Please advise!

Out of interest what norwood scale is my hair?

How many grafts would be needed roughly?

I have extremely fine hair all over with a good donor area…

Thanks

Edited by Silent123

I think at your level of loss and age you would be chasing it big time in a few years.

You probably need to try maintaining what you have got for at least a year.

I'm 34 and have a similar amount of loss but the difference is that I have virtually nothing in the frontal third. This means I could have a conservative hairline HT that would not look too bad if recession continues beyond it.

In your case you appear to have more at the front which could eventually need replacing.

If you can regrow some hairs and consider concealers it may tide you over for 4 or 5 years, then re-evaluate.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Silent123,

If you have that level of hairloss now at 26, in 10 years from now when you are 36, you will definitely have more without using finasteride.

You will possibly end up chasing the loss with transplant after transplant as the loss increases.

Have you got any clearer pictures to post?

It would be best to see a surgeon in person ideally.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I think at your level of loss and age you would be chasing it big time in a few years.

You probably need to try maintaining what you have got for at least a year.

I'm 34 and have a similar amount of loss but the difference is that I have virtually nothing in the frontal third. This means I could have a conservative hairline HT that would not look too bad if recession continues beyond it.

In your case you appear to have more at the front which could eventually need replacing.

If you can regrow some hairs and consider concealers it may tide you over for 4 or 5 years, then re-evaluate.

Hi Matt thanks for your reply. Is your father or grandfather bald? How long have you been on fin for? When did you first start to loose your hair? Has fin halted anything?

Silent123,

If you have that level of hairloss now at 26, in 10 years from now when you are 36, you will definitely have more without using finasteride.

You will possibly end up chasing the loss with transplant after transplant as the loss increases.

Have you got any clearer pictures to post?

It would be best to see a surgeon in person ideally.

Yep I think it would be all gone by the age of 36 if I stopped using fin!

I'm thinking its best to ride out the next 6-12 months and see if finasteride can do anything for me first. I'm really hoping it can then I could safely assume a transplant could be more feasible, and not have to worry about a second one for maybe 6-10 years... although I think this is a tall order.

I've seen picture's of finasteride taking norwood 5 and 6's back to norwood 2's over the course of 8-15 months and am extremely skeptical if this is even possible? It just seems far to good to be true!

Edited by Silent123

Hi Matt thanks for your reply. Is your father or grandfather bald? How long have you been on fin for? When did you first start to loose your hair? Has fin halted anything?

[/ QUOTE]

One grandad was bald. I don't know how bald as he died in 1989 aged 83. I'm told he had been bald for some time but he shaved his hair really close from what i remember!

The other one died before I was born but maybe NW5 from a few photos I've seen. I think my hair is more from my mothers side.

My dad still has a hairline but the top is very thin and grey. Maybe a NW5.5. Aged 61.

I haven't been on Fin very long and gave it up the first time due to sides. regaine has been quite effective. I have more hair than I did 12 months ago.

I've seen picture's of finasteride taking norwood 5 and 6's back to norwood 2's over the course of 8-15 months and am extremely skeptical if this is even possible? It just seems far to good to be true!

Some people get lucky. Have a look on the Belgravia centre website. They have lots of propecia before and afters.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Propecia Rogaine Finasteride Results Before and After Photos | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

There are some before and afters of finasteride from Dr Bernstein's website.

Not everyone will have regrowth but even if at the minmimum it just maintains or slows down loss considerably, that is beneficial.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Cheers chaps will check the links.

Think i'll wait and see what happens this year on Finasteride and Minox and reasses then - seems the best bet. So far so good I guess, no major sides experienced. I had watery semen for the first few weeks and have small testicular ache's from time to time but generally everything is still working!

One more question…

I have extremely fine hair all over, my scalp is very visible in bright light when my hair is buzzed to a number 2. If my hair did thin more this year, would it be an idea to get an all over transplant in between my shrinking hairs… then when they have gone get a further all over transplant to fill in between the newly planted hairs in 3-4 years time?

How long do transplanted hairs typically last if one is taking finasteride?

Great advice 1978matt. OP, your going to be a NW5A. If your typical NW5A, and the meds don't work, you probably will see another big recession after 30 sometime. Hopefully the meds work, and we never see you again.

If you do go HT, you want to be extra super careful about your hairline. This is where a doctor will want to place all your grafts to create a strong hairline and just leave your crown alone (makes better sales pictures). BUT! a recession type of hairline is manly. Look at jude law's, recession/hair line.

Like 1978mat stated, as a NW5A, you will chase this forever if you got HT. Though I feel you could have a 'satisfactory' result if you plan it all out long term. Off hand I would think Hansom and Wong would be your best bet as your life time doctor for a NW5A. HT now, and another HT in 4 years or so, and then another HT in 2 or 3 years after that, all strip of course, then fue the scar.

BYW, I am not a doctor, I only have picture of a doctor as my icon so you will trust and believe everything I say like I'm spouting off form the Bible