Hair from fue will be thinner?

Doubt it. With FUE the surgeon can 'cherry pick' hairs from different regions so they can choose finer hairs for hairline work, multihair grafts for density further back and in the crown etc. That is actually a positive advantage but the actual method does not produce thinner and/or weaker hair. There will be less tissue surrounding the follicle though but that has no role in the caliber of the hair to my knowledge.

I'm not sure 'thinner' is the correct term, but I think I know what you might be referring to.

It is 'widely' believed that the yield can be compromised slightly more when done via FUE. This is a caption from Dr. Feridunis site that explains it quite well I think.

Generally speaking, grafts extracted vie FUE are much more sensitive, as the extraction technique leaves much less protective tissue around the hair follicles. This ultimately leads to a slightly lower survival rate. Damage to healthy hair follicles influencing their survival rate, as well as a worse rooting rate, are possibilities in both techniques when the work is not performed in an optimal manner. This is the reason why the choice of the right hair surgeon is a decisive criterion for the success of any hair transplant.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

No, the term I mean that the hair that taken up from FUE, may be smaller and lighter than FUT, this is what doctor told me

Absolutely incorrect. The only time the hair may be smaller is if the Doctor chooses to extract finer hair from different areas of the donor area in order to use in the immediate hairline. Hair in the hairline is generally finer naturally. This is an advantage of FUE. However the actual extraction method of FUE does not make the hair smaller of lighter, smaller or weaker. If you extracted the exact same hair from the exact same position using both FUT and FUE, once implanted and matured it will look exactly the same with all other factors(yield etc) being equal. There is less tissue surrounding a FUE graft but it does not affect the appearance or caliber.

I saw the other thread you created in regards to FUT doctors persuading you to go with FUT for 1,000 grafts. Chances are they told you this FUE myth to try and frighten you into FUT. Beware.

why the hell would anyone do FUT for 1000 grafts?!

You would be surprised as to how many Doctor's will push FUT onto someone who requires 1,000-1,400 grafts... I had one prominent physician try persuade me to go FUT for 1,200 grafts... He brought up the yield issues of FUE and that I would be able to get away with a 2-3 grade buzz with FUT anyway.... Shocking.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted my doctor (Dr. Yazdan) and asked him about this because ewe had decided to go with the FUE procedure for my hair transplant, which is scheduled for next week. He told me that they may initially be a little thinner and the survival rate of FUE is slightly less than strip because with strip when they dissect the grafts they leave the gland intact as much as possible but with FUE thre is no control to do that. So at first the hairs can be a little thinner and weaker but at one point, with time, they will become the same.

That's just to answer your question, but he still recommended that the FUE is the best method for me based on everything he has seen. Hope that helps!

I have heard that some Doctor says the hair taken from FUE, will be thinner and weaker than the hair from doing FUT, IS that true??

Hello David,

There is so much misinformation out there. When someone does not get the results and the woes of their tales traverse cyblerspace misleading information seems to abound. The best surgeons like those recommended on HTN get the same top resutls from either FUE or Strip Method procedures.

The reason is quite simple they are transplanting the same permanent hairs in both forms of procedures. So if your HT surgery is in the right skilled hands no matter which procedure you choose the results should be fine.

The issue that may have led to this type of rumour is someone who was not suited for FUE surgery and or a FOX test was not conducted to predetermine the level of transection (damage) to follicles that might occur. FUE is a very important type of surgery that is benefiting hair restoration in many ways when in the hands of the best surgeons. The ISHRS has formed a new committee of distinguished surgeons to further enhance the use of FUE. The physcian I work for is chair of the committee and I am privilege to learn how these doctors are enthusiastically looking to improve FUE. Hope this helps, All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum