Applying toppik

So I'm having a bit of trouble applying toppik to back of my hair. My lower crown is my thinning area and its very difficult to apply toppik without turning my arms in knots.it either goes on to thick or I miss the area completely and holding a mirror above your head in one hand and toppik in the other hand is difficult.has anyone had the same problem? Any tips would be helpfull.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ive been using Toppik but You can actually see it on my scalp (it looks weird!!!) I have a pretty good head of hair to work with (Not Great) and if I could double it, id be happy.

is it not sticking to my hair right and falling to my scalp?

Brian,

I think you can see it on your scalp, because you know its there. My assumption is 99.9% of people who look at you will NOT notice anything. I have the same issues sometimes. Try holding the fibers further away from your scalp and put on less at a time, and pat GENTLY, without combing in.

Thanks jonyd, But it was actually pretty noticeable.(I could see in a few peoples faces as they looked at my hairline) Do you use fibers and what kind? Im using Toppix but wanna switch...Ill try your idea of less at a time....thanks for replying

I actually own a company called KeraFiber We make our own fiber product similar to toppik. I did not promote it in this link earlier as I just wanted to answer your question honestly without offering our product as a solution, as what i suggested should normally help. If you try our fibers and the same thing happens you can return them for 100% of your money back. We only want satisfied customers. The reason I started KeraFiber was because i tried other brands and although they looked great on friends (who also used fibers such as toppik and Caboki) when i used the same fibers on my hair the results looked similar to yours. Our fibers are made of different materials and are cut differently which on my hair looks as natural and realistic as possible. Not everyone has the same results but I formulated our product for my own personal needs. I would be interested to know how our fibers look on you. If you have the same results as Toppik and you followed my advice in my last post then unfortunately hair concealers won't work for you. Good luck and hopefully you get better results!

I actually own a company called KeraFiber

jonyd....I have been using Nanogen for several months. At first I was using it all over, but my transplants have grown in enough so that I do not need it up front any longer. Over the last year I have become a huge fan of fiber concealers because they work so well.

However recently I have been noticing that after application I many times can feel that I've inhaled some of the fibers and there is often a slight irritation in my throat. I have tried covering my mouth and nose with a towel during application...which helps...but still I seem to breathe just enough in that it is becoming a problem.

I have become addicted to "not looking bald" via Nanogen, but now I find myself between a rock and a hard place....because I would think it is not wise to continue breathing in the fibers which irritate my throat/lungs....but I've grown accustomed to looking not the least bit bald.

My question to you jonyd and others is...

#1. Have you ever heard of this type of problem?

#2. What other types of concealers work best if I have no choice but to give up fiber type concealers?

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I have never heard of anyone inhaling the fibers. That can't be a good thing. If you have any irritations at all i would immediately stop and consult a physician. Your appearance is not worth physical health. With that said, I understand the need to "not look bald" I also wear fibers almost every day.

1) never heard of this type of problem. I wonder if you would have the same result using another brand? although I don't see how that would make a difference.

2) Other than Kerafiber.com and other concealers that are fiber based, there is a company called dermmatch.com you can take a look at that product and see if that type of concealer works better for you.

I have never heard of anyone inhaling the fibers. That can't be a good thing.

But after thinking about this the last few weeks....don't you think everyone using sprinkle on fibers is actually inhaling some fiber? Shaking fibers from a can on to your head (basically right about your mouth and nose) it would seem likely one would be unknowingly inhaling some fibers.

ps: thanks for the feedback and response.

Shampoo why don't you get a painters mask? After reading your reply I went in the garage and got mine out. I have slight asthma already, so im not gonna take any chance....You don't need to put the rubber band around your neck, just hold it....Hi Jonyd....I just ordered some Nanogen hair fibers, Ill check your out too, Thanks

Shampoo why don't you get a painters mask? After reading your reply I went in the garage and got mine out. I have slight asthma already, so im not gonna take any chance....

Brian I may try that....but as hard as it will be, I think for now I am going to take a break from fiber concealers. Tonight I spoke with a very good friend who is a respiratory therapist and she says from what I am describing the concealer fibers could lead to an asthmatic reaction. I've never had asthma, but she says if I continue using the fiber concealer and it continues to irritate my throat/lungs I could become asthmatic.

Hey Jonyd, Im not saying im some kinda scientist, BUT I put in the hair fiber like always, I notice it dries my hair out a little (a good static base). then patted it down a little (barely touched it), then a mist of hair spry (not much at all)....Ok this is where I may have discovered something for me.....after the hair spry was completely dry (1/2 hour), I brushed my hair and then it seems like the fibers left in my hair help bond the new fibers I just put in! I pulled my hair to one side and blew dry the part in my hair....it looks perfect? LOL

Brian I may try that....but as hard as it will be, I think for now I am going to take a break from fiber concealers. Tonight I spoke with a very good friend who is a respiratory therapist and she says from what I am describing the concealer fibers could lead to an asthmatic reaction. I've never had asthma, but she says if I continue using the fiber concealer and it continues to irritate my throat/lungs I could become asthmatic.

If you use a painters mask you shouldn't breath in any fibers at all....Its your call though ...Good luck what ever you decide.

I've used fiber concealers for about 10 years and personally have never experienced any kind of respiratory or breathing problems. But each may react differently I suppose.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.

• 1 month later...

Use a mirror to focus on the application and use the spray applicator. I am an idiot for not getting the spray applicator when I first started using toppik almost 3 years ago. It is so much more efficient in terms of time and quantity of toppik used.